U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,023 times

Advertisements

Oops... The title should say: "Marana, Oro Valley, Arizona City, Casa Grande ???"

I'm seeing houses at very low prices in these areas ($50K-$100K), so I'm considering buying a home to visit the next couple winters and see if I'd like to live near Tucson.

I'm an independent software developer and won't need to commute everyday.

I'd like to know if these areas are nice to live in? I like a quiet, laid back atmosphere. I don't need bars or other "action" places.

Also, anyone know of any reasons these homes may be priced so low? I understand the country is in a depression and won't exit until 2010, but these prices seem low even considering the bad economic conditions. Could it be water problems, crime, taxes?

Last edited by rich.testbcc; 05-21-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Miss-spelled a word.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 AM

641 posts, read 2,225,961 times
I am in Arizona city. There a lot of foreclosures here. The reason some are around 30 and 40 k, those need work. I have seen some starters that are ok at 50 but have no fenced yard.

There really is nothing to do in Arizona City, but you are 8 miles from Casa Grande.

Over half of the apartment complexes here are foreclosed now. I think a lot of them were the same investors who dumped them. People that rented did not know until they had sherrifs at the door telling them to leave.

You can get some great deals on a home here though.

Casa Grande is a little more expensive but you are closer to amenities. There are good areas and bad areas in CG like anywhere else.

Something I found out the hard way, if you buy a house here in AZ city, do not buy near the apartments or be prepared for very loud music, etc.

We have them across the street. Cops are always there, music is always loud at night, and I wish I could go back in time and buy on another street.

Im sure it is not like that at all of them, but the people moving in and out of them so far have all been the same.

Also want to add, you are closer to Chandler here than Tuscon.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM

99 posts, read 286,183 times
If you can afford it, Oro Valley would be much nicer than Casa Grande. Btter views, closer to activities and trails. Nothing around Casa Grande.

Maricopa would be a good "buy" for anyone not needing to commute. Nice adult community there "Province"

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM

9,529 posts, read 29,117,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.testbcc View Post
Oops... The title should say: "[b]Marana, Oro Valley, Arizona City, Casa Grande ???"
Easy one, Rich . . . ORO VALLEY!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 PM

1,686 posts, read 3,936,276 times
Yes, Oro Valley is probably the nicest "view" type area. But CG has more amenities and is almost exactly halfway between PHX and TUC and is along I 8 for the quicker trips to San Diego.

Also, anything you are seeing under 50K as someone said is probably not in best area, or needs alot of work. Now, for 100-125K you move into a whole different arena and can get a nice smaller house in pretty decent area and decent shape, at least in Casa Grande - Im not following the Marana/Oro Valley market much.

Marana of course is MUCH closer to Tucson than CG, and someday it and Red Rocks to the north will be very nice, but its still not as built up yet as CG amenities wise...but it is closer to the mountains of Tucson.

Just depends on what you want....

Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM

286 posts, read 627,678 times
Question for last poster is,while living in a paradise"ORO VALLEY,"why would one ever want to make a "quick trip to San Diego "or LaJolla for that matter.Last year my teenage son and I spent two weeks in LaJolla and I must say that the once beautiful mountains are now overcrowded with houses,people and cars.It is very sad that La Jolla had it's own little pollution cloud hanging over it.We noticed it everyday because we were staying up high and it bothered me due to my 50 year love for the little village that it once was...indeed.
I will take Oro Valley any day and I will tell everyone not to come here!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,539,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Yes, Oro Valley is probably the nicest "view" type area. But CG has more amenities ...
This is a joke right???? Or are you counting Circle K's as amenities?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,045,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me in Oro Valley View Post
This is a joke right???? Or are you counting Circle K's as amenities?
My sentiments exactly.

Or perhaps the poster really isn't aware how close Oro Valley is to La Encantada, Casas Adobes Plaza, and the Foothills Mall, or that Oro Valley now has its own fairly comprehensive malls on Oracle north of Ina and at Oracle and Tangerine.

The only "amenities" I can think of that are in Casa Grande that aren't in or a stone's throw from OV are that little outlet mall right on I10 or the In and Out Burger in CG's new mall. OV residents have to go all the way to I10 and Cortaro Farms Rd. for an In and Out.

I guarantee you can get a better haircut in OV than CG! And I'd put OV's public library up there as one of the best in Arizona.

If the OP finds Oro Valley to be too expensive, I'd say Marana would be a good second choice. It was way too quiet for me, but when I was house-hunting I saw some cute smaller homes in the Gladden Farms area that I thought were very nice. Marana is spread over such a large area, you can be pretty far away from "amenities" if you want to be. They just got a nice, new library, too.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,045,629 times
Default Website for Tucson home search

Rich, my favorite way to look at houses in the greater Tucson area is via this Website:
Create Your own Tucson Home Search

You can see a lot of property much easier than using most Realtor's connections to the MLS and you don't have to register. I'm sure it's not every house that's for sale, but you can see a lot. If you notice something you really like, search it further on an actual MLS website. The best thing about this site is, it includes HOA and condo fees. You don't get that info from a lot of MLS connections.

If you don't have enough info to be real specific on your search, just put in the zipcode of the area you are interested in and hit "Search." The houses come up least-to-most expensive. (I'm usually out after the second page ). But be aware these prices are "asking prices." In developments with a lot of houses for sale, many sell at significantly below asking.

The area codes for Marana are 85653 and the slightly pricier 85658.

For Oro Valley check 85704, 85737, and northernmost 85739 (which goes all the way into Pinal Co. ... be aware that "Saddlebrooke" is a 55+ community and is reasonable to buy into, but expensive to pay the dues).

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM

4,923 posts, read 7,862,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My sentiments exactly.

OV residents have to go all the way to I10 and Cortaro Farms Rd. for an In and Out.
They're building an In and Out Burger in the Oro Valley Marketplace at Oracle and Tangerine. This site lists all the stores and restaurants that are open already.

Oro Valley Marketplace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson