U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 12:38 AM

27 posts, read 74,251 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks! I have gotten a couple of job offers (one at Raytheon Tucson and the other in Albuquerque) and I'm trying to decide which one to take. I really want to keep my commute time down to 10-15 mins, but have read on previous posts not to live in South Tucson. Are there any good neighborhoods that are a short commute to Raytheon?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,969,661 times
Rita Ranch is a very nice, family oriented area and I believe its about a 20 minute or so drive. Traffic can get hectic in the morning but you'll have to leave about 10-15 minutes earlier during "rush hour". If you want to live more in Tucson, the east side is a doable commute and is safe too. Basically, just stay away from south, southwest, west, and some central areas too. they're to far anyways, but definitely not safe areas.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,025,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz412 View Post
Hi Folks! I have gotten a couple of job offers (one at Raytheon Tucson and the other in Albuquerque) and I'm trying to decide which one to take. I really want to keep my commute time down to 10-15 mins, but have read on previous posts not to live in South Tucson. Are there any good neighborhoods that are a short commute to Raytheon?
Raytheon has facilities at different locations. That's the reason you're not getting responses.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 74,251 times
Thanks for the tip Sierra! It appears the location would be down on the southeast of town.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Then you pretty much have to stick to 85747 zip code and possibly 85730 and perhaps Vail. Of course, you can get into 85748 as well. It's still a good commute. Everything alongside Houghton North of I-10 is decent (there is also nice new housing around Houghton South of I-10 and the homes there have big lots, if this is important to you, but the commute gets longer; it might not be... I just don't go there) - Rita Ranch, Mesquite Ranch, Sierra Morado, Civano and whatever the names are North of it. It's all good.

However, I'd be careful with buying in Rita Ranch. Even though it's a perfectly OK neighborhood and there are steals right now (foreclosure city), IMO the property values may suffer even at the best of times because many of the residents work for the air force base and I believe (not sure) the military covers their losses when they have to sell and they don't really care what they get for their homes. Perhaps RE agents can chime in on this one.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM

42 posts, read 168,361 times
You should look in Sahuarita as well. There are many many Raytheon employees that live in the area. I live in Rancho and really like it. It's a little bit of a commute, but very worth it.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM

529 posts, read 2,267,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
However, I'd be careful with buying in Rita Ranch. Even though it's a perfectly OK neighborhood and there are steals right now (foreclosure city), IMO the property values may suffer even at the best of times because many of the residents work for the air force base and I believe (not sure) the military covers their losses when they have to sell and they don't really care what they get for their homes. Perhaps RE agents can chime in on this one.
I bet military members wish this was the case! Unfortunately they have to deal with property value loss the same as the rest of us, even if they are sent to another base, are deployed, or retire.

OP, Sierra mentioned the main subdivisions around the Rita Road location of Raytheon. In Vail the biggie is Rancho del Lago.. if they ever get around to building the Safeway that has been in the works forever that place would become more popular.

And just for reference, Rita Ranch is a hop-skip away from Raytheon, Rancho del Lago under 10 minutes, and the other ones just a bit longer.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
I bet military members wish this was the case! Unfortunately they have to deal with property value loss the same as the rest of us, even if they are sent to another base, are deployed, or retire.
I could swear I heard this from somebody... Might be an urban legend.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM

529 posts, read 2,267,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I could swear I heard this from somebody... Might be an urban legend.
Yep the most urbanist legend ever! It's unfortunate when you talk to low-ranking enlisted kids who squeezed into a house and now are faced with short sales or foreclosures..

Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 PM

104 posts, read 301,296 times
Raytheon has 3 main plant sites so depending on where you work you might want to live in different places. All 3 are on the south side so it is hard to go wrong with Rita Ranch. There are dumpy parts of RR though so make sure you drive around it a bit. Most likely you'd end up at the Airport site and a lot of folks live in Oro Valley and make that commute,... brutal if you ask me.

We opted for Vail. Bigger lots, but virtually no infrastructure (we just got our first stop light a few months ago... woohoo). The airport site is about 35 minutes away, and the Rita road site is about 15-20 minutes from here. The 3rd site is about 30 minutes from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson