U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:25 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,382,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullmoose View Post
Then why are you on this thread.
To point out to people who may not know that your only example is an almost brand new stretch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 04:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 7,748,381 times
Bullmoose, this whole thread happens to be a stretch! But I'll play...

I think Roller Coaster Road is a "good road"!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:55 PM

104 posts, read 69,669 times
It's not a game. And that part of Harrison is at least a few years old. Have you got something real to post? Or are you just being a gadfly?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
It's not a game. And that part of Harrison is at least a few years old. Have you got something real to post? Or are you just being a gadfly?
Sorry, Bullmoose...

Yeah, I guess I'm kinda the forum gadfly...

I've been permitted some latitude in the area of annoyance, as long as I don't push my love of rain on certain people...

I'm allowed to be frivolous, yet kind... creative, yet sensitive... and I don't believe I've been really, really mean to anyone as yet, as far as I know... as you know, I just happen to appreciate Tucson, regardless of all of its problems... so, I tend to speak up as an advocate more often than not...

Hopefilly, I haven't hurt your feelings, 'Moose... if so, I wholeheartedly apologize, and I ask you to give the Pony future opportunities to ride you early and often...

Thanx!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 PM

That was for Sierra. No contribution, just critique. You said Rollercoaster Rd., right.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
That was for Sierra. No contribution, just critique. You said Rollercoaster Rd., right.
Yes, Roller Coaster Road.

However, I also happen to believe that both I-10 and Speedway serve their purposes in their own ways... so, I have to say that they are "good roads" as well.

Do we "need" crosstown freeways in Tucson? I do not happen to cinch my saddle on THAT particular horse, no. Do we need a better way to get vehicles from one end of town to another? Sure, we can always improve that - without freeways.

I don't see a road as only being "good" just because it is decently smooth, or is recently repaired. There is a purpose for every road in Tucson. Are many in need of repair? Sure. Are they all bad? Nope!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 PM

By good, I mean, the road doesn't knock your wheels out of alignment. The roads in this town are in terrible, terrible condition. Most all of them. Hence, the title of my thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,951,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
However, I also happen to believe that both I-10 and Speedway serve their purposes in their own ways... so, I have to say that they are "good roads" as well.
Okay Zony. I have read your propoganda on this board for months. I realize that you are a hardcore republican who believes that not funding infrastructure makes for a perfect city, but some of the things you post here are just nutty. Even in its best condition, I-10 goes absolutely nowhere in Tucson and right now it is a disaster. Tucson is the only city of its size in the US that doesn't have a business loop. I-10 is little more than an escape route from the city and serves almost no purpose as a "road" in Tucson.

As for Speedway... if you like sitting through 3 to 4 red light sequences at Speedway and Swan then it's the perfect road for you. Not to mention the garbage in the middle of the road and the potholes.

Face it man. The roads in Tucson are a disaster. In parts of that town, it takes 45 minutes to drive 6 miles during rush hour. That's nuts. Bullmoose is making a valid point here. There are very few decent roads in that town.

Perhaps it's time for you to move off this forum. It seems you have nothing constructive to add. When I asked you if you would like to meet and figure out solutions to Tucson's problems, you refused. Obviously, this forum is little more than a place that you can vent your ridiculous right wing views. You have no intention of fixing any of the problems that face your community. You are exactly what's wrong with Tucson. Stick to your talk radio. I think John Justice is just your kind of guy...

Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 AM

683 posts, read 2,502,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
As for Speedway... if you like sitting through 3 to 4 red light sequences at Speedway and Swan then it's the perfect road for you.
I never had a problem with the roads when I lived in town. One thing I did that helped was to not always take the main roads. When everybody was waiting through three or four lights at the intersections on Speedway, I was cruising along Fifth Street getting mostly green lights.

I think the thing to do when driving in Tucson is to not always take the main routes. Try some different roads and you might be surprised how fast you can get around town.

As for potholes, I grew up in Illinois, those holes back there could swallow a whole car. I remember the roads throughout the midwest being much worse than here. The worst thing in Arizona was years ago when they used to do something called "chip sealing" on all the roads. That was a nightmare, so many broken windshields, I'm glad they don't do that anymore.

I also think they did a great job getting the work done on I-10. When I had to use the frontage road during construction, traffic moved along almost as fast as it did on the freeway. There's also a lot of work being done all the way to Picacho Peak, it's almost finished and we'll have three lanes and a 75 mph speed limit. That's going to help me a lot.

Tucson messed up twenty or thirty years ago when they didn't build an east-west freeway through the city. It would have been a lot cheaper and easier than it would be now. Oh well. I don't know if it's even possible now. That's something Phoenix took care of and now they have a very nice system of roads. It's hard to blame the government for that one, the citizens of Maricopa County were voting to approve the necessary taxes while Pima County residents were voting them down. There's a bloc of voters around Tucson that always vote against any kind of progress. Their motto, if you don't build it, they won't come.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
By good, I mean, the road doesn't knock your wheels out of alignment. The roads in this town are in terrible, terrible condition. Most all of them. Hence, the title of my thread
Gotcha! Catchy title, by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson