U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 30,296 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Tucson from Boulder Colorado with our 13 & 4 year-old boys. We seek a warmer climate but don't know much about the area. We would like to hear from others who have made the move on the plusses and minuses (especially for families) of the area from their perspective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 35,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDale
My wife and I are considering a move to Tucson from Boulder Colorado with our 13 & 4 year-old boys. We seek a warmer climate but don't know much about the area. We would like to hear from others who have made the move on the plusses and minuses (especially for families) of the area from their perspective.
Hey Bob, I have lived in Tucson so hopefully I can give you something to expect when you get there.

First off, if you want a warm climate, you've come to the right city. Tucson right now is around 60 degrees, but in the summer it will easily get past 100, not as hot as Phoenix, but hot enough( I don't know if that's a plus or minus in your book though). In the summer though, there are Monsoons. Basically for a few minutes it pours down rain outside.

The city (while it doesn't look big) has everything you should expect out of a medium sized city. By that I mean, it has it's bad sections of town (North east part of Tucson) and it has it's great parts of the city (North west)
I'd suggest trying to find a place in the North west of the main city, I lived in the northwest and it was a really just an all around great place to be.

Although I lived there a somewhat short time, I got around the city. It's not even close to being as big as Phoenix, but trust me, the traffic here is horrible. I think you'll love Tucson if you like Medium sized cities.

One of the problems I had with the city though was that it was so far from any other major city. For example, if you ever want to go to Los Angeles expect to add an hour or two to the drive since you have to drive up through Phoenix and then west. However, Tucson does have an airport so flying could always be a good option if you ever want too go to California.

Well, sorry about the late reply. You probably have already made it to Tucson by now.

Anyway, I hope this helped somehow.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 30,296 times
Thanks, that's just the kind of information we are looking for. Being far from major cities is something we would find difficult as we like to visit but not live in them. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 35,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDale
Thanks, that's just the kind of information we are looking for. Being far from major cities is something we would find difficult as we like to visit but not live in them. Thanks again.

No problem

Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have about Tucson.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 17,070 times
Default If you want to leave Boulder, Try Vail, AZ

Hi, I live just outside of Tucson, in Vail, Arizona. I have a 14 year old and a 13 year old. I wanted to recommend Vail to you because the schools are excellent, progressive and you can chose from any of the 3 (current) high-schools. We are in the process of building another high school (I am on the planning committe) and building a new school for our charter High School. The choices are: Cienega which has the capacity of 1600 (only at about 700 right now) Cienega has advanced placement classes, big sports programs. Empire High School (capacity 800 currently at about 400). Empire students do not use textbooks they each are assigned a lap-top, it too has a/p classes. Empire just opened up this year it's very new. We have Vail High School (the charter school), it is a technology and science based hs and the capacity is currently about 200 (though the possibility of it's being open to 300 students is being discussed), it is a school for high achievers, business entrepeneurial interested students, it is deliberately being kept small. VHS is currently considering adding a/p classes also. If you have a very self-motivated student, at VHS they can actually finish early and even take some college classes through VHS. Vail is a nice little community (but growing in the mountains SE of Tucson), very beautiful area. Oro Valley is also a very good area, it is NW of Tucson but the high schools just didn't cut it for us, we moved to Vail from Oro Valley about 2 years ago. Anyway, there are quite a few nice areas of Tucson, but you really need to stay away from South Tucson, high crime/drug area. That's the 411 from a parent of two adolescents!

Old 02-25-2006, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 30,803 times
Red face Tucson Tug-o-War

This is proably a little late but if your still thinking of moving to Tucson may I suggest that you research the realestate situation first. The person from vail was right about the place it is nice with good schools. There are homes that range from $65,000-$300,000 in this Town. Most of the Reservations are on the south-southwest part of town and the foothills living on the north-northeast. Both these areas were published in the Tucson Citizen-DEC. 2005as HIGH CRIME AREAS. To the east we have Davis Monthan A.F.B. and the west , which crosses over the Tucson Mts. is basic Ranching communities as well as retired folks. The north and east areas are the most expensive. There is great history of the old west, spanish and Native Americans. Environmental studies, as well as, airo-technologies are some of the career ops. Children here do not have alot of outdoor activities to choose from and there are not enough watering holes to cool off in in the summer. Road-Rag is the worst crime in summer and every year there seems to be more fatalities. I have three children bore here and I often wished that they would have had a greener pasture to play in...

Old 02-28-2006, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 22,553 times
Thumbs up agreed

I would have to agree with Florine Francis, Vail is a wonderful area to live. I have been out here since first grade, and am now a senior at that wonderful Vail High School. The schools are all great, and I love the small-town atmosphere, especially at VHS. But not only is the education great, but the landscape and view is fantastic. Living in the desert, I see wild animals almost daily. The bunnies are everywhere, and the coyotes add a soundtrack to the desert nights. I often see deer jump across the dirt road I live down, and I once saw a bobcat, and even a badger, literally in my back yard!

One of the bad things, however, is the monsoons (if we get any!). Living on a dirt road, whenever it rains, the washes flow strongly with water, often washing away parts of the road! If you aren’t careful, the current can be enough to push your car down the wash, so don’t try to drive through them! Also, it is a fairly long drive into Tucson, where most of the stores are. It takes at least a 30-40 min drive to the southeast side Park Place Mall. But it’s not all that bad...

Over all, Vail, and Tucson, is a great area. There is plenty of places to go hiking, camping, bike riding, and do any other type of outdoor activity. Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, but I really love it here! But then again, I've never lived anywhere else!

--Randi--

Last edited by rrandi; 02-28-2006 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-23-2006, 09:02 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,454,314 times
Definitely, if you have children stay away from south Tucson.
I like Oro Valley, it's very nice. Alot of retirees, though. Oro Valley is it's own town.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 62,310 times
Default Oro Valley

Yes, it's nice here in Oro, but the land values are through the roof. It's like we think we're somewhere in LA County....only we're not

Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,619 times
Default Neighborhoods in SW Tucson

I am also considering a move to your beautiful city. There are many newer (seemingly decent) homes available in the southwest part of the city, say in Drexel Heights and Tucson Estates. The south side of town has a rep for being dangerous and rundown, but what about these newer tracts in SW? Can someone please share pluses and minuses of weather, home values, commute times, etc.? I'm primarily familiar with Marana, Oro Valley, etc. and am looking for a newer area that might be more affordable. Thx a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson