Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,535,084 times

Advertisements

If you know how to service industrial refrigeration, I might be able to help.

Helzberg Diamonds at the Tucson Mall is hiring for a few different positions - if you want to sell BLINGBLING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM

100 posts, read 328,883 times
Definitely take a ride up Mt. Lemmon. Take your dogs if you have any. Let them splash around in the creek. Make sure you go on a hike. There are many beautiful trails. If you have the right vehicle the drive down the back of Mt. Lemmon is a lot of fun. Although my dogs didn't appreciate the bouncing around as much as I did!

What about using this time to take some courses at Pima Community College? They have some certificates that might look nice on a resume, at least to help you stand out from the rest of the applicants. You might also try volunteering somewhere - that can lead to a job or at least some good reference letters. Despite all the crap on Craigslist, you can actually find a decent job on there. You just have to dig though all the junk. I definitely agree that the other job sites you mentioned are much more valuable in your search, though. Good luck! It is pretty tough just about everywhere right now. What field is your husband in?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Just came across some info about concerts in Summerhaven.

LAVA Music Calendar

Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
Hi. My name's Jill. Jillbobill and I'm unemployed.

Some punk at a mall clothing store that smelled like old men (the store, not the punk) even had the gonads to ask if I had a Bachelors degree. Are you kidding? I have eight years of customer service and retail management experience and you base your hiring decisions on a BA in what could potentially be a completely unrelated field?
Jill, if you have retail management and a customer service background you might want to try Bed Bath and Beyond. Just go to the individual stores, they will actually interview you on the spot after you fill out an application. You don't get lost in the cyberworld of apllications. They are always looking for quality people, are a solid company financially and still growing.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:24 PM

66 posts, read 321,277 times
RickTucsonHomes is correct about your applications getting lost in cyberworld. Most companies your applying for probably don't even have the applications reach the HR department.
There are so many people looking for jobs that you probably going to have to just settle for something..anything to pay the bills(uh, not prostitution ). I was referring to your snide remark about working for Walmart. This is not the time to be picky when it comes to jobs.

Have you checked out the pima county workforce and development? Here are a couple of websites to look at. I wouldn't just sit at home and go through their website. I would actually drive there and see if they can actually help.
The first link shows what they offer and training they could provide....

One Stop Career Systems

This second link shows jobs they have available.....

https://www.arizonavirtualonestop.com/

Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,749 times
Hey, thanks for the suggestions!

I don't have anything against Walmart (except that their a hideous, seething mass of consumerism and I wish they'd mysteriously go out of business) - I even applied there. I'm not THAT picky. And I totally agree, anything to pay the bills. We have a little wiggle room before it gets to the 'omg what do we do phase', though.

We did go to Summerhaven and we did bring the dogs and they did play in the water and we climbed all over and hiked and it was sooooo much fun and soooo beautiful. I took some pictures becuase some people seemed sort of unsure about the damage from the fires. I'll post them probably tomorrow. I don't know what it looked like before, but from what I've heard, Summerhaven (the actual town) is still suffering and struggling. All the cabins I saw looked brand-spanky-new.

And that link is awesome, Beckerd, thanks!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the suggestions!

I don't have anything against Walmart (except that their a hideous, seething mass of consumerism and I wish they'd mysteriously go out of business) - I even applied there. I'm not THAT picky. And I totally agree, anything to pay the bills. We have a little wiggle room before it gets to the 'omg what do we do phase', though.

We did go to Summerhaven and we did bring the dogs and they did play in the water and we climbed all over and hiked and it was sooooo much fun and soooo beautiful. I took some pictures becuase some people seemed sort of unsure about the damage from the fires. I'll post them probably tomorrow. I don't know what it looked like before, but from what I've heard, Summerhaven (the actual town) is still suffering and struggling. All the cabins I saw looked brand-spanky-new.

And that link is awesome, Beckerd, thanks!
Glad you had a good time in Summerhaven.
Looking forward to seeing the shots. Curious myself about the recovery. Summer before last when we were there there was still a lot of damage (not so much to the buildings, but to the forest itself).

Ken

Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A. View Post
What about using this time to take some courses at Pima Community College? They have some certificates that might look nice on a resume, at least to help you stand out from the rest of the applicants. You might also try volunteering somewhere - that can lead to a job or at least some good reference letters. Despite all the crap on Craigslist, you can actually find a decent job on there. You just have to dig though all the junk. I definitely agree that the other job sites you mentioned are much more valuable in your search, though. Good luck! It is pretty tough just about everywhere right now. What field is your husband in?

I just realized I didn't answer these questions....

First, because I don't have money for that. I haven't even looked, no, but I can guarantee it's more than I have to spend.

And, he's worked in retail upper management for ten years (hence, the whole 'layoff' thing). We're hoping he can get in with Walmart, Target (who's hurting BAD) or Best Buy. Their GMs and Co-GMs make, like, $80-100K a year.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
And, he's worked in retail upper management for ten years (hence, the whole 'layoff' thing). We're hoping he can get in with Walmart, Target (who's hurting BAD) or Best Buy. Their GMs and Co-GMs make, like, $80-100K a year.
You may wanna look into Trader Joe's, too. I read a book about it and couldn't believe their captains (store managers) make 140K+!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Holy camoley - really, Sierra? Hmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson