Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 10,243 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on Charles "Charlie" Stevens an actor/stuntman who appeared in old Western films up until 1961. He was born in Solomonville, Az, in 1893 and his father was George H. Stevens and his mother was named as Eloisa, an Apache lady who was said to be Geronimo's daughter. Charles worked in the 101 Wild West show in Oklahoma and later went to Hollywood, where he worked with Douglas Fairbanks and other big stars of the day. He always played a Mexican, half blood or Indian and was a great character actor. His last film was in 1961 where he played Joseph, grandfather to Ira Hayes, with Tony Curtis taking the role of Ira Hayes (1961). Charles died in North Hollywood in 1964 and is buried in Valhalla Memorial Park in an unmarked grave. He might have had one child.

Does anyone in the area know anything on the above and any history on Solomonville during that time. I'd appreciate any information and would like to find out if he has any living descendants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
if serious, you may want to pay a visit to Safford and environs and ask around.....it's now a very small settlement with a decent Mexican restaurant, some historic buildings, a U of A extension office, and a few residents....mostly a suburb of Safford now

Solomonville, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Stevens_(actor)

Graham County - Google Books

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozmic View Post
I'm doing some research on Charles "Charlie" Stevens an actor/stuntman who appeared in old Western films up until 1961. He was born in Solomonville, Az, in 1893 and his father was George H. Stevens and his mother was named as Eloisa, an Apache lady who was said to be Geronimo's daughter. Charles worked in the 101 Wild West show in Oklahoma and later went to Hollywood, where he worked with Douglas Fairbanks and other big stars of the day. He always played a Mexican, half blood or Indian and was a great character actor. His last film was in 1961 where he played Joseph, grandfather to Ira Hayes, with Tony Curtis taking the role of Ira Hayes (1961). Charles died in North Hollywood in 1964 and is buried in Valhalla Memorial Park in an unmarked grave. He might have had one child.

Does anyone in the area know anything on the above and any history on Solomonville during that time. I'd appreciate any information and would like to find out if he has any living descendants.
Welcome, Loz! You might also try a poster named SaffordPastor who usually hangs around the Arizona forum. He may be some help for you as well!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,243 times
Thank you for your comments so far. I will follow up the suggestions. Charles Stevens and his family are a difficult subject to research, but I am certainly serious about finding out more. I believe that Charlies father was at one time sheriff of Graham county in the late 1800s.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,827 times
Default Charles G. Stevens

Charles G. Stevens was born Carlos Stevens in Solomonville. His mother was Eloisa Michelena from Sonora, Mex and may have been of Yaqui blood not Apache. Charles Stevens father was 1st married to an Apache woman named Francisca but she passed in 1886.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,116 times
Can you please tell me if actor Charlie Stevens had any children. Was he married, and had a family. Do you also have a photo of him? Thank you. Stephanie. [email]delma553@verizon.net[/email]

Old 09-14-2014, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
Default Charlie Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozmic View Post

I don't know about Eloisa, but George H. Stevens was married prior to Eloisa to Francisca, the daughter of the White Mountain Apache chief, Es-Kel-Thes-e-la, hereditary Chief of the Coyotero Band of Apache Indians. Francisca gave him 4 children and she died in 1882. She lived in Solomonville, so I wonder if Sevens remarried Eloisa? Geronimo attacked George Steven's ranch, the Double Circle, once when he owned it in the late 1870's and again in the 1880's when the second owner had it.

Curious why you are researching this? We had an Apache fellow in our church this morning who's last name is Stevens, and I wonder if he's related.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,178 times
I am the historian for Graham County and have researched this whole family for an article I published in the Graham County Courier a few years ago. Please give me your mail address and I will send you photos, history and everything I had. Danny Haralson mail [email]dkharalson@hotmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: