Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Here's an interesting artical..........

Tucson in top 5 of magazine's list of best places to live

Tucson, among the top 5 places to live according to the June issue of Mens Journal.
While in truth such lists are a bit arbitrary (in my opinion), I do have to say that overall I consider Tucson to be a great place to live. Certainly EVERYONE that I know up here in the Seattle area has a very high opinion of the place - and personally I tend to agree (at least from what I've seen of the city and area).

Is it perfect? Heck no. But overall I find it's positives outweigh it's negatives. Yes it's hot in the summer, but I've been there in summer (late July and early August) and LOVED it. The monsoons are AMAZING. I've also been there last year in January when Tucson was having near record cold and so I know that it's not ALWAYS pleasant in the winter - but the thing is, even their near record cold was a heck a lot nicer than what we'd left in Seattle.

And yeah, I know parts of the city have a somewhat dusty and unkept appearance - particularly in the poorer parts of town to the south. The lack of grass and trees (or ANY landscaping for that matter) certainly makes those sections of town pretty - well, ugly is the right word I think. But the fact is, for every ugly area, there are nice areas as well - places with nice desert landscaping - and the surrounding desert is simply gorgeous (and surprisingly green even in the dead of winter (due to so many cactus)).

Is it different? Of course it is.
Does it take some getting used to? Of course it does.
Can I understand people growing tired of it? Yes indeed, but that's true of anywhere. I currently live in Seattle (also on the top 5 list) and I have to say that in many ways it is indeed a great place - but like some other people here, I'm tired of the weather. Yeah, it's beautiful, lush and green - but it's now MAY and it's still COLD, cloudy and dreary and I have to say I want out.

Ken

Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 PM

13 posts, read 38,890 times
Angry Tucson? sad state of city, healthcare, crime, heat, coppertone

A 25 year (on/off) resident and now packing to leave FOR GOOD as only reason I ever came back to live, aside from UoA long time ago was my Mom chose to live here upon Dad's demise, therefore, I came to be with her. Now that she is gone, I fervently look for my last resting place, be CA (too expensive), KY (not for singles), LA (underwater) -

ANYWAY! to get back on subject.......

~health care - illegals will get the attn tax payers need, treated, then leave while we wait in urgent care
~health care - doctors are walking for the incredibly high malpractice ins.
~and, health care - now'er daze one must pay in full for any ER visits (after a five hour wait), jobs hardly provide it anymore
~get's hot sooner and leaves later - yah, it's dry, but a killer
~nothing to do once you've done the Mt. Lemon/hiking thing
~drug related crimes are soaring (we're on border of Mexico)
~high car theft getting obscenely outta hand - will be taken to Mexico - buy very used or have several alarms installed - in your house as well
~large number of unregistered sex offenders (I used to work for TPSD)
~crack houses in the best neighborhoods now
~traffic so bad due to snow birds
~number of automobiles with high volume of ppl moving here from elsewhere makes for road raging and dreaming of better engineered road planning which ain't gonna happen - budget too
~due to low paying jobs (teachers/police) there are many stupid criminals
~due to short/low funding the many prisons/jails are bursting at the seams as well, and, a slap on the wrist to that several time offender, look the other way, let him play. No where to put him and why should we worry as we don't get paid enough to kind of attitude

many more, but, I no longer have to deal with the sad state of this city. CIAO baby!

Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Man...I'm destined for nothingness then.

I think Bill Gates, Steve Allen, Michael Dell, David Geffen, Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren should go back. And while he's at it, Sir Richard Branson should go back to high school. Walt Disney too. Hersey and Ford as well. Frank Lloyd Wright would never be taken seriously is he had never gone to High School. Oh. Wait.

If a person has drive and is willing to work hard and pave a path for themselves, I truly believe anything is possible.

And often, if you get your foot in a door somewhere, work your way up with ambition, you will go places. A degree isn't a guarantee of work.

Just my 2 cents.

Stupidest post I've ever read...so basically, you're advocating to your children NOT to get a degree if they have the means to do so? Gates was in Harvard...he did not finish, but being in that school already proves he is hell smart. Unless you're as smart as they are, or as lucky as they are, I suggest a degree would help you rather than hinder you, since they are exceptions rather than the rule. There's a reason why Asians have the highest income among all groups here in the USA - it's because they know the value of a degree and good education, unlike some of you lazy natives.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:57 PM

687 posts, read 2,031,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Stupidest post I've ever read...so basically, you're advocating to your children NOT to get a degree if they have the means to do so? Gates was in Harvard...he did not finish, but being in that school already proves he is hell smart. Unless you're as smart as they are, or as lucky as they are, I suggest a degree would help you rather than hinder you, since they are exceptions rather than the rule. There's a reason why Asians have the highest income among all groups here in the USA - it's because they know the value of a degree and good education, unlike some of you lazy natives.
Awww, don't hold back how you really feel.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm advocating. Yep...I wrote that out there plain in black and white.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,922 times
ANYWAY! to get back on subject.......

~health care - illegals will get the attn tax payers need, treated, then leave while we wait in urgent care
~health care - doctors are walking for the incredibly high malpractice ins.
~and, health care - now'er daze one must pay in full for any ER visits (after a five hour wait), jobs hardly provide it anymore
~get's hot sooner and leaves later - yah, it's dry, but a killer
~nothing to do once you've done the Mt. Lemon/hiking thing
~drug related crimes are soaring (we're on border of Mexico)
~high car theft getting obscenely outta hand - will be taken to Mexico - buy very used or have several alarms installed - in your house as well
~large number of unregistered sex offenders (I used to work for TPSD)
~crack houses in the best neighborhoods now
~traffic so bad due to snow birds
~number of automobiles with high volume of ppl moving here from elsewhere makes for road raging and dreaming of better engineered road planning which ain't gonna happen - budget too
~due to low paying jobs (teachers/police) there are many stupid criminals
~due to short/low funding the many prisons/jails are bursting at the seams as well, and, a slap on the wrist to that several time offender, look the other way, let him play. No where to put him and why should we worry as we don't get paid enough to kind of attitude

many more, but, I no longer have to deal with the sad state of this city. CIAO baby!

Wow, you just about described every other city in the country as well. All the things you listed are problems EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Must have sucked to live the sheltered and bitter life you have. Try driving one state over to the East (NM) it's even worse. I'm glad I'm from Tucson and proud to admit so, it's what you call a diverse community, which means it tolerates self-centered opininated and uneducated people like the one who posted the message I copied. Look Tucson is a Cty and has City problems, crime, growth, and funding to name a few. Also it's not on the border with Mexico, there's about 60 miles of a gap, I guess some people see a brown person and assume there in a border town, go to El Paso that's a border town now you want to talk about rundown and crime I think EP's got Tucson beat. Look it's what you make of it, when I get out of the service it's where I would like to retire, I think it's the people that complain about it that paint the wrong picture if only they would leave.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:47 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperFixxer81 View Post
go to El Paso that's a border town now you want to talk about rundown and crime I think EP's got Tucson beat.
Excuse me but El Paso is the second safest city in America behind Honolulu and in front of San Jose. Just stay out of Juarez, Mexico. Please don't insult us over here about ''talk about rundown and crime'' as you don't know what your talking about in the crime category.. Why would someone from Tucson put down a simular city like El Paso as we don't put down Tucson???

Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,215 times
Default I would move away if I could

Hello everyone - Here are my 10 reasons for not moving to Tucson:

1. There is very poor customer service everywhere - lack of motivation perhaps? Expect bad car repairs, long waits at restaurants, and general assistance everywhere being given "grudgingly"!

2. VERY few good jobs. There are a couple of main employers that are expected to support the whole community. There is no vision on the part of the government/civic leaders to devise incentives to bring new businesses here. The pay base is quite low - does not come close to meeting the cost of living here.

3. Tucson city government as a whole is mismanaged. There is never enough money for education, street maintenance, park maintenance, etc. etc. They haven't come up with any solutions for anything worthwhile in years - downtown renovation has been stalled for at least 5 years that I know of.

4. The heat is tiresome. You can expect to be housebound from June through October unless you get up at 4 a.m. or wait to go outside until after dark.

5. Rattlesnakes. Having to lookout for snakes during your early morning or evening strolls can be nerve-wracking. Yes, I have encountered many. Also, if you have a dog, you will need to get it "rattlesnake trained" - several friends and relatives of mine have had their beloved pets bitten by these devilish critters.

6. The scenery is also tiresome. Yes, the mountains are beautiful from a distance, but in closer proximity there is an abundance of - has anyone else noticed this? - TRASH! Trash EVERYWHERE!! Also, how much rocks, dirt and cactus can you take? Wouldn't colorful gardens be a refreshing change?

7. The wastewater treatment plants make the entire city stink like poo! It is embarassing to entertain guests from out of town. The stench is so bad it makes your eyes water.

8. Yes, let's talk about water. There isn't any. Anywhere. In case anyone hasn't noticed, we need water to live. We all need to get out of here before what little groundwater is left is pumped dry.

9. The "great weather" isn't really all that great. Besides the unbearable heat from June through October, the months that do have more livable temperatures are beset with high winds that stir up dust storms. That leaves a few months in the winter that have nice weather - but little daylight.

10. Last but not least is the lack of quality restaurants. Okay folks, I know lots of you say that Tucson has the best Mexican food around. Well, it has about 2 or 3 really good quality restaurants. The rest of them are dirty, peddle mediocre food swimming in butter or cheese to mask the poor quality, and contain the same, predictable menu items. In general, the quality of the merchandise found most stores here is also mediocre and predictable.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
Quote:
1. There is very poor customer service everywhere - lack of motivation perhaps? Expect bad car repairs, long waits at restaurants, and general assistance everywhere being given "grudgingly"!
Tucson doesn't have a monopoly on this. It's in every city.

Quote:
2. VERY few good jobs. There are a couple of main employers that are expected to support the whole community. There is no vision on the part of the government/civic leaders to devise incentives to bring new businesses here. The pay base is quite low - does not come close to meeting the cost of living here.
Again it's not only in Tucson. You can talk to many people here in Chi Town and get the same thing. Not many good paying jobs. And the cost of living here is much higher than Tucson. As far as jobe go, it depends on what you do, your experience, and how well you sell yourself. Unless you are looking for unskilled jobs. Yes, the pay scale is somewhat less than other places but you will find things are not much different anywhere you go.

Quote:
3. Tucson city government as a whole is mismanaged. There is never enough money for education, street maintenance, park maintenance, etc. etc. They haven't come up with any solutions for anything worthwhile in years - downtown renovation has been stalled for at least 5 years that I know of.
The problems in Tucson are just in different areas than elsewhere. all municipalities are like this. Compared to the Chicago, area Tucson doesn't have too many problems. (look up some of the things that go on here)

Quote:
4. The heat is tiresome. You can expect to be housebound from June through October unless you get up at 4 a.m. or wait to go outside until after dark.
I can say the same thing here about the cold.

Quote:
5. Rattlesnakes. Having to lookout for snakes during your early morning or evening strolls can be nerve-wracking. Yes, I have encountered many. Also, if you have a dog, you will need to get it "rattlesnake trained" - several friends and relatives of mine have had their beloved pets bitten by these devilish critters.
Every part of the world has there dangerous creatures. You just learn to live with it or move.

Quote:
6. The scenery is also tiresome. Yes, the mountains are beautiful from a distance, but in closer proximity there is an abundance of - has anyone else noticed this? - TRASH! Trash EVERYWHERE!! Also, how much rocks, dirt and cactus can you take? Wouldn't colorful gardens be a refreshing change?
Along with the green and garden comes countless hours of maintinance. You also have half of the year when everything is dead and brown. And you through cold, rain and snow and mud everywhere too.

Quote:
7. The wastewater treatment plants make the entire city stink like poo! It is embarassing to entertain guests from out of town. The stench is so bad it makes your eyes water.
you think Tucson is the only city with water treatment? Try living in any other city. There are places just as you describe. When i visited Tucson I didn't smell this, of course I didn't visit any areas near water treatment either.

Quote:
8. Yes, let's talk about water. There isn't any. Anywhere. In case anyone hasn't noticed, we need water to live. We all need to get out of here before what little groundwater is left is pumped dry.
I live near lake Michigan and we are having a water shortage too. It's not as bad as the south west yet but give it a few years.

Quote:
9. The "great weather" isn't really all that great. Besides the unbearable heat from June through October, the months that do have more livable temperatures are beset with high winds that stir up dust storms. That leaves a few months in the winter that have nice weather - but little daylight.
This, like everything else is an opinion. In Chicago you have only a few months of good wheather to do anything. It's usually raining, cold, snowing or hot and very humid.

Quote:
You will also find this most anywhere too. We enjoyed the dining in Tucson. The prices are also much more reasonable.

As i have said many times before, It is all what you like and want. If you don't like where you are, make a change. We will be moving to Tucson as soon as we can. Foe us it will be a refreshing change in lifestyle. We cannot find many negatives in Tucson. We have, however, found that we do not like the midwest. Most of what you say about tucson is how We feel about the Chicago suburbs.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesac View Post
4. The heat is tiresome.
Kinda like this thread is tiresome?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM

13 posts, read 35,999 times
How about we change the tenure of this thread and actually talk about SPECIFIC Zip Code Areas of Tucson...all the way from Oro Valley to the Southern Tip.
We need to stop concentrating on the bad areas of Tucson. I wouldn't live in Downtown area of Tucson just like I wouldn't and didn't live in the downtown area of Miami or Ft Lauderdale in Florida! I wouldn't live in the heart of Phoenix either.

So the question posed to the people in this thread is?:

What Specific ZIP CODE AREAS do you love in Tucson?

Mine are the ...49, ...42 and ...18 areas.

Anyone else?

Lets change up this thread a bit if possible.

I am tired of reading the posts of the haters who will never say anything nice about "Anything" It is just their nature...lol

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson