U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2007, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Midwest
799 posts, read 2,064,960 times
Reputation: 216

Advertisements

Well, I just got back from Tucson. Seems like a nice city, but I don't feel like I fit in. Well, I don't feel I fit in anywhere, because I don't know anyone there, I guess.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-19-2007, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 84,030,656 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Well, I just got back from Tucson. Seems like a nice city, but I don't feel like I fit in. Well, I don't feel I fit in anywhere, because I don't know anyone there, I guess.
He-he, who knows... may be love at second sight!

I've been trying to "learn to love" the darn place for 10+ years and no success so far. Somehow I suspect that if I win the Powerball I may like it a little better. Wouldn't know for sure, though, 'cause I'll be out of here (to be honest, out of the country as well) in a NY split second.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-20-2007, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Midwest
799 posts, read 2,064,960 times
Reputation: 216
Default I don't fit in either

You and me both.
I don't fit in anywhere either, because I am not trying to do the competitive materialism thing.
I would like a safe place to live, with quiet neighbors, and a job with sane people, and such.
It really is getting old.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 PM
 
68 posts, read 96,520 times
Reputation: 29
Reason #10:

There are too many people from Ohio there. LOL
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM
 
2 posts, read 29,612 times
Reputation: 11
Default Wanna Trade?

I am currently in Portland, Oregon which is GORGEOUS for the coast, and pretty cool in terms of sights, shops, restaurants, etc. But i'd trade with you Tucson folk who don't want to be there in a HEARTBEAT, if there was enough work in my field there, and i could get a job from here. (Graphic Design/Copywriting/editing, advertising.)

I grew up in NY, but my mother moved us to Tucson when i was 15. Talk about CULTURE SHOCK! I absolutely hated it for about a year, then fell in love with it and should NEVER NEVER NEVER have left.

So, if ya wanna TRADE, I'm all for it! If anybody has any connections in my field with an employer willing to even look at an out-of-state resume, let me know. I am a superb print designer, writer, art director, and illustrator with over 15 years experience. And i got a BFA and MFA from the U of A.

Yes, it's crowded in Tucson, now. If you don't love it, please move out, to keep the pollution down so we can still see the stars.

Re the critters, i love 'em all. Re the heat...well, you can't live without AC, just as in NY, you can't live without heat in the winter.

All the best--
Z
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
 
2 posts, read 29,612 times
Reputation: 11
PS, okay, here's what sucks:
The heat. When people say " but it's a dry heat", i say "turn your oven up to 450 degrees and stick your head in it. There's your dry heat."

Having to buy stock in sunblock.

Allergies. But, i have them in Portland, too. You deal.

The moronic reversible rush hour lanes. Do they still have those in Tucson? It's like asking to die.

The gigantic flying cockroaches. Ick. But again, you deal.

As for monsoons, i always thought they were one of the most spectacular displays of nature i'd ever seen!

Re dust, yeah, i mean, DUH--it's a desert. But it's not "dirty". You wanna see dirty? Go to NY. (Hey, as a NY'er, i love NY, but let's face it, it could use a gigantic bottle of 409 dumped over it.)

Re scorpions, OH, WAAAAH. So what, you get in the habit of shaking out your shoes and clothes. I was never bitten by an AZ critter, but i got bitten by a Brown Recluse spider in NC! BIG scar from that. (Btw, if you want to talk about a place that truly sucks, it's NC!)

Let's see, what else sucks about Tucson? People who are snobbish about the Mexicans and won't learn to speak any Spanish. Get a grip--we STOLE AZ from Mexico. Deal. Same with the Native Americans--they were there first. Be polite. If anybody should be pissed it's the NATIVES--pissed at all the stupid golf courses marring their once-stunning desert.

I say, if you want a lawn, move back east.

What's GREAT about Tucson that i left out-- the authentic Mexican food. Unbeatable! Sabino Canyon. Stunning. Did i mention the breathtaking blanket of stars, the ever-changing shadows on the mountains making them something constantly new at which to marvel...and, for those of you raising kids, the incredible opportunity to expose them to the Mexican and Native American cultures first-hand.

And last, where else can you wear your cool cowboy boots year round without people looking at you funny?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!
430 posts, read 1,207,014 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
PS, okay, here's what sucks:
The heat. When people say " but it's a dry heat", i say "turn your oven up to 450 degrees and stick your head in it. There's your dry heat."

Having to buy stock in sunblock.

Allergies. But, i have them in Portland, too. You deal.

The moronic reversible rush hour lanes. Do they still have those in Tucson? It's like asking to die.

The gigantic flying cockroaches. Ick. But again, you deal.

As for monsoons, i always thought they were one of the most spectacular displays of nature i'd ever seen!

Re dust, yeah, i mean, DUH--it's a desert. But it's not "dirty". You wanna see dirty? Go to NY. (Hey, as a NY'er, i love NY, but let's face it, it could use a gigantic bottle of 409 dumped over it.)

Re scorpions, OH, WAAAAH. So what, you get in the habit of shaking out your shoes and clothes. I was never bitten by an AZ critter, but i got bitten by a Brown Recluse spider in NC! BIG scar from that. (Btw, if you want to talk about a place that truly sucks, it's NC!)

Let's see, what else sucks about Tucson? People who are snobbish about the Mexicans and won't learn to speak any Spanish. Get a grip--we STOLE AZ from Mexico. Deal. Same with the Native Americans--they were there first. Be polite. If anybody should be pissed it's the NATIVES--pissed at all the stupid golf courses marring their once-stunning desert.

I say, if you want a lawn, move back east.

What's GREAT about Tucson that i left out-- the authentic Mexican food. Unbeatable! Sabino Canyon. Stunning. Did i mention the breathtaking blanket of stars, the ever-changing shadows on the mountains making them something constantly new at which to marvel...and, for those of you raising kids, the incredible opportunity to expose them to the Mexican and Native American cultures first-hand.

And last, where else can you wear your cool cowboy boots year round without people looking at you funny?
* the reversible lanes are gone now, have been for quite a few years.

*I agree, the monsoon season here is breathtaking!

*I think that unless you have lived here recently I might go a bit easy on the "snobbish" comments...we have a very real and often very dangerous illegal problem in this city that goes FAR beyond people being "snobbish" and not wanting to learn Spanish. If you don't live here or you don't follow the local news you would be unaware of that fact.

*A Lawn? No, we'd prefer you to have water tolerant plantings to help us conserve water in our State.

*We do what we can to protect our night sky against excessive light pollution so we can see and study those beautiful stars!

I hope that someday you'll get back to our beloved Tucson, it is a beautiful place to live, and like every other American city, it has some problems.....but if you pitch in, volunteer or try to make it a better place to live it will be.

O. Nana
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Midwest
799 posts, read 2,064,960 times
Reputation: 216
We didn't steal Arizona or any land from Mexico. We fought for it. Some of it, we paid for.
The Gadsden Purchase (known as Venta de La Mesilla in Mexico) is a 45,535 mi² (76,770 km²) region of what is today southern Arizona and New Mexico that was purchased by the United States from Mexico in 1853. The initial purchase treaty was signed in Mexico in 1853, but a very different treaty was finally ratified by the U.S. Senate and signed by President Franklin Pierce on June 24, 1854. The purchase included lands south of the Gila River and west of the Rio Grande.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Midwest
799 posts, read 2,064,960 times
Reputation: 216
More on "stolen from Mexico"
the U.S. paid Mexico $10 million (equivalent to about $230 million in 2004 dollars[1]) to secure the land
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
20,463 posts, read 24,764,339 times
Reputation: 7610
Talking "We fought for it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
We didn't steal Arizona or any land from Mexico. We fought for it. Some of it, we paid for.
The Gadsden Purchase (known as Venta de La Mesilla in Mexico) is a 45,535 mi² (76,770 km²) region of what is today southern Arizona and New Mexico that was purchased by the United States from Mexico in 1853. The initial purchase treaty was signed in Mexico in 1853, but a very different treaty was finally ratified by the U.S. Senate and signed by President Franklin Pierce on June 24, 1854. The purchase included lands south of the Gila River and west of the Rio Grande.
Hmmm.

"We fought for it" - in historical, international terms that means "we went to war for it" - the time honored way one group of people profits at the expense of another. All nations have grown this way - and they always will. If your neighbors have something you want (land, gold, water, oil, etc) and you are stronger you just take it. Oh you always find a way to justify it, but the fact is, you are taking something that belongs to someone else simply because you can. Not criticizing the US (in particular) here, just a blunt reminder that EVERY country got it's land from SOMEONE ELSE who had it first - usually through violence. It's the way the world works - and always has.

In terms of American History it's called "Manifest Destiny" - the belief that all this land from sea to sea was fated to become the US of A. In truth mostly we just took what we wanted - though sometimes we did pay for it - paying someone else who'd stole it from the original inhabitants (who of course had pushed other people out earlier - the true orginal inhabitants had probably been shoved down to the tip of South America a few thousand years back).

"We fought for it"
In terms of countries it's called "going to war".
In terms of individuals it's called "mugging".

It's just the way the world works. One should always keep this in mind should one start feeling a bit "uppity and morally superior".

The US is a great country, but like every other great county in history, we pretty much stole all the land that makes it up.

Like it or not, that's the way the world works.

Ken
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top