Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 AM

19 posts, read 214,833 times

Advertisements

We Are Considering Moving To Tucson From Ohio
I Need 10 Good (legit) Reasons Why We Should Not
I Will Respect Your Opinions

Old 04-22-2007, 08:43 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
10 reasons in random order:
1. highest skin cancer rate in the nation
2. valley fever - it's real and can be very hard to recover from
3. schools - worst ranking in the nation in graduating kids from high school
4. very low wages for same work compared to other parts of the USA
5. poor representation in the state capitol - tucson is az's step child
6. termites - only 2 kinds of houses here - those that have termites and those that will.
7. water issues are worsening with time - very long drought!
8. infrastructure (roads, etc) cannot keep up with the population boom
9. & 10. Can't think of any more . . . other ideas out there?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 PM

164 posts, read 845,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
10 reasons in random order:
1. highest skin cancer rate in the nation
2. valley fever - it's real and can be very hard to recover from
3. schools - worst ranking in the nation in graduating kids from high school
4. very low wages for same work compared to other parts of the USA
5. poor representation in the state capitol - tucson is az's step child
6. termites - only 2 kinds of houses here - those that have termites and those that will.
7. water issues are worsening with time - very long drought!
8. infrastructure (roads, etc) cannot keep up with the population boom
9. & 10. Can't think of any more . . . other ideas out there?
i guess from reading other posts you can add cougars in your yard. lol

Old 04-23-2007, 12:51 AM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
Great addition, June! Let's expand the 'cougar' comment to 'critters-in-general'...
Nothing like being trapped in your own house (or out of it) because a mojave rattlesnake is napping on your door mat!
(I'd laugh, but it wasn't funny when I pulled into the driveway really needing the restroom and a rattler coiled up between me and the front door - Argh!)

Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 139,044 times
dont forget the 2 inch sewer roaches that like to crawl up your drains...

those are always fun to see when you want to take a shower

Old 04-23-2007, 09:50 AM

647 posts, read 3,340,159 times
IMO, there's not very much to do there. In fairness, I live in the Phoenix 'burbs, not in Tucson, but I do go to Tucson frequently. To me, it's like a giant sprawling suburb. Downtown is pretty small and not impressive at all with very little to do. I know people say the same things about Phoenix, and they're right to a degree, but Tucson is even worse. Also, Tucson has a very "crunchy" feel to it...a bit of the hippy, bohemian vibe. To many, that may be a positive but I'm personally not a fan...you asked for opinions

Also, I hear from many people that the schools are very bad. However, check greatschools.net for actual ratings.

There are many beautiful areas in Tucson though. If you can afford to live right up in the mountains, the views are spectacular.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 AM

4 posts, read 104,943 times
I've been going to the Phoenix area now for 6 years, scottsdale, chandler, mesa, gilbert, mesa you name it. I see nothing but a big flat, suburb of LA. The day we hit Tucson, it was love at first sight. Guess there is something for everybody.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 97,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOTIM View Post
We Are Considering Moving To Tucson From Ohio
I Need 10 Good (legit) Reasons Why We Should Not
I Will Respect Your Opinions
Sounds like there would be more room if the people who hate it would move elsewhere.
There are ups and downs to every place. Tucson - Az in general- offers 360 days a year to do something outside instead of all the kids and folks sittin at computers and gettin fat playing video games. Live a little. Sahuarita (great schools by the way) and the out skirts of Tucson, Green Valley (retirement with some non-age restricted and secure communities), Amado (have acreage to roam) are goregeous places close enough to work in Tucson. North is very very busy and takes a lot of time to get a short distance.

Contenintal school district is wonderful and thriving!
Check it out.
Good luck
P.S. I would NEVER move to cold country!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 PM

18 posts, read 174,643 times
10 reasons to move TO Tucson
1. Sunshine, it generally makes people happier. (generally)
2. Golfing and hiking year round.
3. Diversity of climate. Just the other day, there was snow on Mt. Lemmon and it was in the 80's in the valley.
4. Absolutely beautiful scenery, if you look at it from above, it is surprisingly almost completely green.
5. So many things to do Colossal Cave, the State Parks, Saguaro Desert Museum, Titan Missile Museum, Wildlife Museum, Reid Park Zoo, Pima Air and Space Museum, Historical Society Museum. Then not too far away Sedona, The Grand Canyon, The Petrified Forest, many lakes, mining towns like Tombstone, Mexico, and bordering states.
6. No raking, shoveling, or mowing.
7. Warm, dry climate is great for a lot of health issues.
8. You can wear shorts on Christmas. Actually you can wear the same clothes pretty much year round. Just make sure you wash them.
9. Health care. Because of the abundance of more mature persons, we have great hospitals, including ones that specialize in the heart and cancer.
10. And to bring it full circle. The people are happier, because of the sunshine! If you're in Tucson and don't believe me, you need to go get some.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 88,954 times
I agree with you; if you don't like it, get out and leave more room for the rest of us. I live out in Marana, where you can see the stars like nowhere else! I would not ever go back to the cold East and I'm not just talking weather; the people in the Tucson area are so friendly and welcoming. This is life as it should be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson