Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:03 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Action? What kinda "action"? Action just gets you into trouble, and then what? You may spend the rest of your life paying for it.
Not that kind of action Action like an active urban atmosphere, a BIG university with good sports (UA doesn't even compare, hundreds of thousands of people go to CLS for Buckeye football games every Sat and they have a good basketball team also), high paying corporate, legal, and government jobs (Columbus is the capital), and different neighborhoods/communities with different feels rather than a bunch of subdivisions and strip malls.

Although Columbus does still have bland suburbs full of subdivisions and strip malls, the central city is full of old walkable neighborhoods and communities with lots of character. I struggle to find similar areas in Tucson (4th Ave by UA is nice though).

I've been paying attention to the development of the streetcar system in Tucson which will inject some life into the city and also the Mercado District looks promising but I really hate how the superhighway separates it from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Not that kind of action Action like an active urban atmosphere, a BIG university with good sports (UA doesn't even compare, hundreds of thousands of people go to CLS for Buckeye football games every Sat and they have a good basketball team also), high paying corporate, legal, and government jobs (Columbus is the capital), and different neighborhoods/communities with different feels rather than a bunch of subdivisions and strip malls.

Although Columbus does still have bland suburbs full of subdivisions and strip malls, the central city is full of old walkable neighborhoods and communities with lots of character. I struggle to find similar areas in Tucson (4th Ave by UA is nice though).

I've been paying attention to the development of the streetcar system in Tucson which will inject some life into the city and also the Mercado District looks promising but I really hate how the superhighway separates it from downtown.

You really can't go wrong with some of Columbus's neighborhoods... German Village, Short North, Downtown, The Arena District, Victorian Village, etc.

Columbus is still a young city that is growing by leaps and bounds. The suburbs are really starting to get going though. Just look at Dublin and Westerville.

Columbus is really heavily investing in its downtown right now. I can't wait to see it in five years, especially with what is going on around the Scioto River and the Arena District.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
You really can't go wrong with some of Columbus's neighborhoods... German Village, Short North, Downtown, The Arena District, Victorian Village, etc.

Columbus is really heavily investing in its downtown right now. I can't wait to see it in five years, especially with what is going on around the Scioto River and the Arena District.
Exactly, neighborhoods like the German Village, Short North, the Arena District, the Victorian Village, and Harrison West are non-existent here, and Tucson also doesn't seem to be heavily invested in Downtown like Columbus.

Columbus just built a brand new and beautiful AAA ballpark in the Arena District while Tucson is putting a new one in in Marana (why, oh why???) and recently built TEP out by the highway. I went to a Sidewinders game the year before they left and believe me, you don't get the atmosphere or vibe of being in an active city when everything is built by the highway in a never ending sea of parking spaces.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times
The first suggestion I, having been raised as an Ohioan, have for you is to execute your IQ level to realize, if in fact you do make the move, the correct spelling is TUCSON not Tuscon!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlang68 View Post
The first suggestion I, having been raised as an Ohioan, have for you is to execute your IQ level to realize, if in fact you do make the move, the correct spelling is TUCSON not Tuscon!
read the second post, buddy.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 16,931 times
This post is a little old so I don't know if the original poster is still checking but....
I just moved out of tucson for the 2nd time. 1st time we moved from tucson to ohio but had to move back because we couldn't sell our house from 2k miles away. I enjoyed workng in tucson but that's about it. Crime is horrible there (per capita) as it is in columbus but the types of crime and the percentages of each type are different... Our final kick in the pants to get us out of there again was when our 90 yr old neighbor had her house broken into at 9am on a monday morning while I was home, out back with my dogs. I even saw the bast*&$s and they waved at me! I made good money and loved my co-workers but that really is the only thing I enjoyed there. Columbus is still growing and in a way that makes more sense to me than tucson's growth ( as was mentioned earlier). 4th ave is only nice during the daylight hrs... night time, be sure to lock your car and carry your concealed weapons permit with you in case you have to shoot the jerks trying to steal your car as you eat dinner. good luck!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
Quote:
night time, be sure to lock your car and carry your concealed weapons permit with you in case you have to shoot the jerks trying to steal your car as you eat dinner. good luck!
You guys make it sound like Tucson is still in the 1800's. you need to carry a gun to survive? Come on.

We saw nothing and didn't have any problem at night. Granted, we didn't visit the few iffy parts at night, but we never had the feeling of being unsafe.

Maybe we just visited during the period where all of the bad guys were on vacation?

I don't dissagree that there is crime in Tucson, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. There are also many here that differ with you too and that also live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson