Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!
Planning on going to the canyon (first time) this winter to spend some days (about 5) hiking and overnighting in lodges. The idea is to go by train and get off and on as we please. We don't really want to go on tour with a large group. BUT the inlaws might join us-they would not do the hiking but the lodging. Any recommendations out there? This was suggested to us- (we speak Spanish 102 but the inlaws are Italians) take the shuttle to Nogales then cab to train station to Los Mochis, overnight, next morning head out --
Any experiences or safety issues of anyone going on their own?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,030 times
I was actually curious about this, too. First, though, I'm confused. The only Copper Canyon I find is IN Tucson (not much of a canyon), but there is one in Texas - is that what you're referring to? Am I missing something? Do you mean The Grand Canyon?

If it's the latter... Call me a damned Yankee (go ahead), but you could take a train to anywhere from anywhere in New England. I wanted to take a train from Tucson or Phoenix to the Grand Canyon in January, but I can't seem to find one that goes there. Do they not exist? How is this possible? Who do I blame for this? I don't want to have to drive D:

Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
No personal experience here...but a general search shows you would really have to do some work if you wanted to make that tour on your own!

I did find a few *tourista* style Train trips, but I doubt you would have the freedom you are looking for. Maybe some of the companies that provide the tours could also give you some ideas?

Mexico′s Copper Canyon from Tucson

Globus Tours : Mexicos Copper Canyon with Tucson 2009

Either way looks like a beautiful trip!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

Ooooooh.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
"I wanted to take a train from Tucson or Phoenix to the Grand Canyon"

You'd have to take Amtrak (which departs Tucson around midnight) to Los Angeles, then take a different Amtrak train to Williams, then take The Grand Canyon Railway to the rim. There is nothing that goes direct...and the closest a passenger train gets to Phoenix is the town of Maricopa.

So it can be done, and I'm sure it would be a fun adventure, but it is not convenient.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,963 times
Default Copper Canyon Chihuahua Mexico

Thanks Ritchie_az.
That really is a scenic route from Tucson to the Grand Canyon via LA.
but we are trying to head out down south to the Sierra Madre.
We are looking for adventure trying to navigate ourselves from Tucson to the train in Los Mochis to get to the Copper Canyon. We prefer not to go on tour with a group. We would like to hike and trek at our own pace and get on and off the train as we please. This train trip is suppose to be awesome-its getting to and from Mexico like the locals do is what I am trying to figure out. Anybody know where we can buy tickets? A local tour company in Tucson would be a start. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Ritchie was answering my question, Nalo. Not yours. Lady Robin answered your question and she gave you two links to check out - did those help you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson