Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 11,502 times

Advertisements

I just took a job offer and soon will be relocating to the South Arizona area. I will be stationed in Sonoita AZ . I would like the 411 on what places would be good to live. I would be ok with driving 1 hour at the most. I am definitely looking for a calm and quite family place. Also a good school district, however, not to looking to be in the middle of nowhere. I am a city kind of guy and relocating from Philadelphia I am definitely not looking for a Ghetto. I've heard some parts of Tucson crime is on the rise as it is here in Philly. Any info would definitely help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM

207 posts, read 548,650 times
Marana. Picture Rocks, Avra Valley, Oro Valley

Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
Marana. Picture Rocks, Avra Valley, Oro Valley
Are all on the wrong side of Tucson for Sonoita. Do you mean little Sonoita - the crossroads town in SE AZ? SE burbs of Tucson might be an hour away. Also Nogales (gulp) is just down the road. Sierra Vista is nice and in the general area too - home to Ft. Huachuca and military retirees.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:43 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
Stationed in Sonoita? Ranching, winery area Sonoita? Lovely rolling hills surrounded by gorgeous mountains, but you might want to look closer to I-10 for school district issues. Sierra Vista, as mentioned above, might be more what you're looking for - also Vail school district might be a good option, up closer to Tucson. Would it be possible for you to make a sneek-peek trip out here? Rent a car - Walk into a school in an area you think you might want to live, and ask for a tour - or at least a talk with a counselor there - during school hours - That's what I did when I came to AZ. I showed up at a local high school at 8 am, on a MONDAY unannounced and said I was considering enrolling my child there - and could someone visit with me for 5 minutes. Best 5 minutes I ever spent. Good luck. Let us know when your choice is made and what you like about where you choose.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 17,262 times
As a Tucson native I advise you to avoid most of Tucson's southern neighborhoods. If your job is in Sonoita, focus on Vail, Corona de Tucson and Sahuarita. Vail is where I would select. I have lived on the northeast side of Tucson most of my life. By my perception, (survey of one) the crime rate is lower on the far east side of town than anywhere else.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
I'd choose Vail also, if schools are the priority for your family.
Newest high school & well-funded district.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 20,429 times
Default Californians moving to Arizona

My husband and I have been looking at different areas in Arizona to move also. We are in mid to late 50s and currently live near San Francisco in CA. I am native Californian. My husband grew up in Washington state, but has lived all over while in the military. He has fond memories of being stationed in Sierra Vista for 3 years. I liked our visit to Sierra Vista this year. It's a growing community, and is higher up, so much cooler than rest of Arizona. I liked Tucson also, as it's a larger city with all the amenities, but fear the heat during the hotter part of the year. I did NOT like Phoenix that much. Too big for what I'd like to eventually retire to. Plus the bad air there concerns me. We don't want a lot of snow or ice to deal with during the colder months. While in Tucson, some citizens there also told us to avoid the southern part of Tucson. We were told crime rate in that area is higher than rest of Tucson. I noticed on the crime index that Tucson is up there with the amount of crime they have. Do any of you know older people who have relocated to Arizona and like their area really well?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:41 PM

95 posts, read 646,909 times
chickadee_red,

I live in NW Tucson and agree with avoiding southern Tucson. You may want to look into an area called Saddlebrooke, which is a development north of Tucson near Catalina. The neighborhood consists primarily of retirees and has very nice homes starting at about $300K. There is a guarded, gated luxury home community being developed next to Saddlebrooke with more luxurious homes in the range of $1M.

I have some relatives in their 80s who live there and love it, so older than you and your husband but there are people in your age range there as well. My relatives are originally from Grass Valley and lived in SF for several years. The community has its own fire station, golf course, and a small shopping center with a gas station. There are grocery stores within a few miles but you would have to go into northern Tucson for clothing or home furnishings.

This area may not be ideal for you if you plan to work for several more years as the commute into town would be lengthy. I'd estimate close to an hour to downtown Tucson during peak traffic times.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:49 AM

163 posts, read 824,146 times
I would like to add Heritage Highlands in Dove Mountain, Marana as a nice place for 55+ residents. Its not as big as Saddlebrook, but very nice in my opinion. I also say stay away from south Tucson.
Good Luck

Old 12-03-2006, 12:33 PM

19 posts, read 75,400 times
Are you BP??
If so - we in Southern Arizona LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!

It's probably going to be hard to find something actually in or near Sonoita.

The elementary school is fine - but there is no high school - the kids all go somewhere else. The Huachuca City-Sierra Vista area is your best bet. Sierra Vista - probably because of the military influence is a nice, polite town. They, too have their problems with illegals - especially in the outer regions, though.

At the north end of Hwy 83 and down Sahuarita Rd there are lots and lots of new homes going in. That's about 25 miles north. That would put you in the Vail School District - which is a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson