Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times

Advertisements

Uplifting? I find it to be strange and smelly.

Is that a telescope or are you just happy to see me?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j9/pelicanwest/Weird_Art.jpg (broken link)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j9/pelicanwest/Weird_Art.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM

153 posts, read 522,048 times
Looking up anyones behind would make my day extremely stressful. Tucson or not...

Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM

175 posts, read 606,976 times
No-it's the anti-depressants in the water.. oops, nobody drinks tap water in Tucson..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times
I think its because most people eventually move so that their commute is more reasonable. I have several friends who have rented out their first Tucson home and bought a home in an area closer to where they work or their kids go to school. That certainly makes life less stressful.

Well, then there are the groups that were probably surveyed who don't work. Life is less stressful if you choose not to work.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 AM

32 posts, read 82,088 times
I don't need to read the article. I know it is wrong, wrong, wrong. Tucson is wonderful for many reasons, but stress free living is not one of them.

This is a good example of why "Places Rated" books and articles are to be taken with a grain of salt, and do your own research.

When I was preparing to leave Seattle many years ago, after 180 consecutive days of NO SUN EVER FOR 6 MONTHS I got the brand new, just released "Places Rated Almanac." I don't know where they got their stats, but I lived in that area for 30+ years and it was no where near as "sunny" as they reported. I even considered the "sun belt", Sequim, but every time I went there it was gray, raining, and the locals told me it had been for a while. Granted, when it's sunny in Seattle it is quite glorious.

Tucson, in the short time I've been here, has grown in crime, drug cartels, homelssness, poverty, constant police activity (like living in a Lethal Weapon movie), border problems, drug addictions. It's becoming a melting pot. One my question my opinion since I"ve only been here about 2 years and would be right to do so. However, I've worked with the homeless, drug addicts, etc. as above, while here; I've walked around the city, taken classes, been involved, and talked to those who've lived here a lifetime. Tucson is not "laid back."

Add to all that the nearly 3 months or more of tripple-digit temperatures. I like to hole up in my house so it's easier for me; those who have regular jobs and school really suffer.

I've seen some of the poorest, least safe driving I've seen anywhere I've lived or traveled or driven in the US and abroad. I drive as little as possible, simply because there are so many, many careless car accidents, and pedestrians run over as well. It's like a vortex for that sort of thing.

However, being surrounded by mts. is wonderful, the short winter is glorious "what we get in exchange for the terrible summer, and worth it" say some; there are good bookstores, cafes, diverse culture.

Interesting, yes. Laid back, no--unless you like provincial and click-ish, which the old-timers have explained to me is how Tucson is. I'm inclined to agree; people aren't all that friendly and open. That's fine--I smile and say hi regardless

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
Default New thread.....?

I was going to start a new thread but this one seems appropriate.

My boss is sending me to Tucson for two weeks starting September 9 to do some extremely stressful work. I know that when my day is over I am going to be looking forward to a relaxing evening. Problem is: I know nothing about Tucson or what to do there. I looked on-line but got the usual stuff they list about any other city. Maybe some of you Tucsonites (Tucsonians? ~ Tucsoners?) could give me some local insight. Nightlife? Jazz clubs? Music scene? Sightseeing? Sports? Anything you think would be interesting for an out-of-towner? I love to travel and explore new cities.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM

37 posts, read 99,766 times
UofA games. First one is this weekend. My husband gets season tickets and loves the games.
There are a lot of clubs downtown. Pearl is supposed to be a good one. You'd also be surprised at how much people love to go to local dive bars. You should be able to find about a million of them, along with 100 night clubs.

During the day you can go to the malls, sabino canyon, colossal cave and other places for sight seeing/things to keep you busy.

Sitting on houghton right before sunset is something you really don't want to miss. Especially the areas where there is still a lot of land so you're looking at desert with a sunset over it.

And of course the buttscope posted above by Chorizo. Who wouldn't want to take a look up someone's crack?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmda View Post
UofA games. First one is this weekend. My husband gets season tickets and loves the games.
There are a lot of clubs downtown. Pearl is supposed to be a good one. You'd also be surprised at how much people love to go to local dive bars. You should be able to find about a million of them, along with 100 night clubs.

During the day you can go to the malls, sabino canyon, colossal cave and other places for sight seeing/things to keep you busy.

Sitting on houghton right before sunset is something you really don't want to miss. Especially the areas where there is still a lot of land so you're looking at desert with a sunset over it.

And of course the buttscope posted above by Chorizo. Who wouldn't want to take a look up someone's crack?
Sorry if I was misleading. The buttoculars are not in Tucson - at least I don't think.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmda View Post
Or if you're on the west side of town, take in a sunset at Gate's Pass... absolutely stunning!!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM

37 posts, read 99,766 times
LMAO! You have me beat. Buttoculars are much better than buttscopes. Unless you like buttscopes... but that's a whole different story!

mdtoaz, I haven't been that way. I'll have to check it out before we move to florida! (military)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: