Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times

Advertisements

I think there are many beautiful cities, towns, municipalities, flat spots in the road, here in America that are special in their own way. I can pretty much find a lot to be grateful for wherever I roam or live. But, depending on whom you talk to in those aforementioned places, you're bound to hear witching and whining from some, and lots of positives from others. The same can be said for Tucson. If you want a unique town with a desert environment, lots of culture, some pretty good restaurants, malls, beautiful mountains, gorgeous sunsets, spectacular lightning shows during monsoon rains, lots of interesting places to visit such as the Desert Museum, International Wildlife Museum, Tohono Chul Park, and other such varied and diverse places, then Tucson will work for you. If you're going to dwell on traffic woes, grafitti, gangs, poor city management, lack of funding for civic projects, lousy mass transportation, and crummy schools, then you could be talking about Tucson, or you could be talking about any major city in the U.S. No place is perfect, many places are beautiful while also being trashy in places. It depends on how you want to see a particular place. If you want to see beauty, you'll find it. Conversely, if you want to see the seedier side of things, you'll see those, too. I choose to see the beauty, uniqueness, diversity and culture that makes up Tucson, a city one can love to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:41 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Beautifully stated, Marcy!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM

19 posts, read 48,355 times
I must agree wholeheartedly with The Kurgan. I was born and raised in Arizona, then spent 10 years on the east coast on Long Island and in North Carolina. Granted my love of Tucson may stem from having spent the majority of my youth here, so take it how you will, but I am truly happy to be back.

Just today I stepped out from work for a few minutes on my lunch and was awed by the sunset. The light hitting the Catalinas with the clouds holding the colors so vibrantly... it was a sight that left my dazed as I stood next to my car just staring. It can't be replaced and there are numerous similar moments that I experience on a regular basis.

Tired of the problems the city of Tucson has? Do yourself a great favor; drive to the outskirts of town - in pretty much any direction - around dusk and park yourself somewhere that you can just sit and enjoy the natural beauty around you for twenty minutes. The desert is "stark and lifeless" to some, but if you just pay attention you would be amazed.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
I definitely enjoy the moutains, cooler weather than Phoenix, sunsets, and certain areas of town. Sam Hughes, El Encanto, San Clemente, Winterhaven, and many areas of the foothills are very nice.

I enjoy the fact that even though there are more than 1 million people in the metro area, there are few issues with smog, the urban heat island, and the endless heat warnings that the Phoenix area seems to have in the summer.

I enjoy the improvements that Tucson has made to its downtown in a relatively short period of time. 4th Avenue and downtown has developed into a nice, walkable corridor for nightlife and entertainment in Tucson. IMO, Phoenix proper has nothing comparable.

I enjoy the conservation efforts in the Tucson mountains, which makes it very easy to leave the urban area for a more "rural" environment.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 PM

63 posts, read 230,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobermanjt View Post
I must agree wholeheartedly with The Kurgan. I was born and raised in Arizona, then spent 10 years on the east coast on Long Island and in North Carolina. Granted my love of Tucson may stem from having spent the majority of my youth here, so take it how you will, but I am truly happy to be back.

Just today I stepped out from work for a few minutes on my lunch and was awed by the sunset. The light hitting the Catalinas with the clouds holding the colors so vibrantly... it was a sight that left my dazed as I stood next to my car just staring. It can't be replaced and there are numerous similar moments that I experience on a regular basis.

Tired of the problems the city of Tucson has? Do yourself a great favor; drive to the outskirts of town - in pretty much any direction - around dusk and park yourself somewhere that you can just sit and enjoy the natural beauty around you for twenty minutes. The desert is "stark and lifeless" to some, but if you just pay attention you would be amazed.
Well said, Doberman! I tell ya. Just being out in Tucson for five days, one tends to forget about the east coast pretty quickly. They can jam it along with the awful winters and four seasons mess

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You live north of the Mexican Border.
My apologies for the snarky post earlier in this thread. I don't even live in Tucson. I used to visit there often when my son went to UofA. We would play some golf, eat at great resturants and enjoy the town. I always had a good time in Tucson.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM

42 posts, read 178,235 times
I've lived in the Tucson area for about a year and a half now. I have to say, my family and I love it. There is so much to do outdoors and in. We have a wonderful school family and have made some wonderful life long friends that I can honestly call family. Although I miss the south simply because it's my "home" I am so happy here. You can totally be yourself and people like you for who you are not what you make or who your family is. What a wonderful feeling. I'm so glad to be raising my children in an environment that will let them be who they are, and they can choose their friends based on content of character rather than race, religion, or money. Every area of our country has something beautiful to offer, but I'm so amazed every day to see the gifts I'm being offered rather it be a rainbow, pink mountains from the sunset, wonderful wildlife, or smiling laid back people. My family and I have been truly blessed by being here.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM

153 posts, read 522,048 times
The other day I was at my favorite store at Food City on St. Mary's where the chorizo mix has some weird green little balls in it, and the mayor was standing right behind me. I said hello and he was very friendly and told me whats new. I thought that was cool. One more thing: I never hear anyone saying bad things about this man, now I know why.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 PM

106 posts, read 364,274 times
During our visit to Tucson I was pleasantly surprised that what Lord Balfour said much earlier is true. Tucson DOES have trees. There are a number of varieties of trees in various sizes, shapes, even colors.

I have never understood the quest for the greenest lawn. One feeds and waters a lawn so that it will grow and then we gripe all the time because we have to cut the darn things. I think the desert landscape concept is a much better idea. Much less expense and much less frustration and work.

Have a great day.
Joseph

Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
ok the reason skate groups love tucson is bek in the winter the massives of concrete that make up the city stay warm when the dessert gets cold at night making it great to skate on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson