U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
146 posts, read 243,758 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

I have become so taken with the beauty of Tuscon I have gotten from the visitor website the chamber has. The video, and all the pictures...

I gotta ask if you locals can go look at the video (main one at least) and the pictures and tell me if that is how Tucson REALLY looks. The golf courses look like a fantasy world. Or is this doctored to look more colorful than it really is? Because looking at Phoneix is to me an unnatractive place. Is Tucson really so green and lush? Is that only for a brief period every year?

Thank you in advance for all your replies,
In Kindness,

CABQ
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 AM
 
3,001 posts, read 3,356,210 times
Reputation: 1211
there are some very pretty spots. The problem is that anywhere affordable to live is very far from those spots.

Those spots aren't very green. There are a lot of golf courses that are green, but not much else in the area is. If you want green you should move somewhere where it rains enough to make things green.

When you drive around and see most of the places that have grass, like schoolyards and football fields and lawns, its all brown.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
146 posts, read 243,758 times
Reputation: 22
Thank you for your reply. I guess I meant, so full of plants, like a lush desert, and it does seem greener than browner--I guess lawns ought to be brown, grass isn't meant to be in a desert!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 7,769,870 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post
I have become so taken with the beauty of Tuscon I have gotten from the visitor website the chamber has. The video, and all the pictures...

I gotta ask if you locals can go look at the video (main one at least) and the pictures and tell me if that is how Tucson REALLY looks. The golf courses look like a fantasy world. Or is this doctored to look more colorful than it really is? Because looking at Phoneix is to me an unnatractive place. Is Tucson really so green and lush? Is that only for a brief period every year?

Thank you in advance for all your replies,
In Kindness,

CABQ
Don't know about this or any other video, but I wouldn't take much stock in them. In general, Tucson, which is situated in the middle of the desert, is a very beautiful place. Golf courses are a business, and I have to believe that they would certainly only show you the very best areas - which are watered to death!

Water is a precious commodity in Arizona, and for corporations to play up the green areas is just ridiculous to me. Think desert first, then everything else is just some entity watering their grass ad nauseum before the desert kills it!

By the way: T-U-C-S-O-N = Tucson
P-H-O-E-N-I-X = Phoenix

Last edited by ZonyPony; 09-17-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
7,476 posts, read 8,665,939 times
Reputation: 6338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Don't know about this or any other video, but I wouldn't take much stock in them. In general, Tucson, which is situated in the middle of the desert, is a very beautiful place. Golf courses are a business, and I have to believe that they would certainly only show you the very best areas - which are watered to death!

Water is a precious commodity in Arizona, and for corporations to play up the green areas is just ridiculous to me. Think desert first, then everything else is just some entity watering their grass ad nauseum before the desert kills it!

By the way: T-U-C-S-O-N = Tucson
P-H-O-E-N-I-X = Phoenix

I hear ya on that one...at least the OP did spell Tucson correctly the 2nd and 3rd time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
 
2,942 posts, read 6,037,199 times
Reputation: 1208
There are many photogenic areas in and around Tucson.

If you don't like the way Phoenix looks, you probably won't like how Tucson looks. However, Tucson's desert is slightly more green (because of the elevation and annual rainfal totals) and the mountains around Tucson are much taller. The best idea is to visit and form your opinions based on that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 7,769,870 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I hear ya on that one...at least the OP did spell Tucson correctly the 2nd and 3rd time.
Bless his newbie little heart!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
187 posts, read 929,708 times
Reputation: 106
Tucson has a "nicer" desert than Phoenix, but it is not nearly as lush and green as the doctored marketing photos make you believe. When I returned to Tucson for a visit two years ago, I was constantly chuckling at the gorgeous scenery found in the marketing brochures (I am specifically referring to the Dove Mountain development) vs. what my eyes actually saw as I raised them above the brochure to reality. The reality is Tucson is situated in a desert; there are many "plants" that resemble dead weeds, and no shortage of bare dirt.

There are some pretty areas and they are what you see in the marketing photos. Keep in mind, however, that they are still doctored and are taken when the natural lighting manipulates the scene, such as early morning or evening just as the sun is setting. The "golden hour" in the evening is what gives a lot of the photos a warm tone and can do wonders in turning an ugly scene into an appealing scene.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 83,591,602 times
Reputation: 22814
NO city looks like its marketing materials!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 7,769,870 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
NO city looks like its marketing materials!

Yep, and shame on those chambers of commerce which attempt to show what a city or town really isn't!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top