Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,861 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any car nuts on here like me. I'm wanting to know about vehicle emissions in Tucson. I'm curious if they do the alien probe up the tail pipe or do they just plug in the OBDII and scan your vehicle for engine codes, do a visual of under your hood and a visual for cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver1468 View Post
Just curious if there are any car nuts on here like me. I'm wanting to know about vehicle emissions in Tucson. I'm curious if they do the alien probe up the tail pipe or do they just plug in the OBDII and scan your vehicle for engine codes, do a visual of under your hood and a visual for cats.
I believe it depends on the year of the vehicle, Quik.

My '86 Jeep requires the old fashion tailpipe probe, however, I have seen other vehicles receiving the "plug in" test while waiting. Also, my '05 Chevy does not require any testing because it is less than five years old.

This site may help . . . Motor Vehicle Division

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
I think they test gascaps also.. and if you ever fail the test and have to buy another, be sure to keep the receipt.

I bought on at the Pepboys on Prince, installed it, and trashed the receipt. When I came back for the retest they wanted to see my receipt "because a lot of people just borrow a gas cap to pass emissions" and I had to go buy ANOTHER one because I didn't have it.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:11 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
I am a car nut too. I already e-mailed back and forth to the Arizona EPA about emissions and engine swaps. I will need to look for the e-mails--I have them saved at home somewhere. I also talked to a guy there that does engine swaps about this. Anyhing pre-OBDII get's tha tail pipe probe. They also may liik for emissions equipment on the car. (cat's, AIR pumps, etc.)

That means that I will most likely need to swap cams and re-tune the FI on my v8 powered 944 when we move. Here (IL) they eliminated all testing for cars pre-OBDII which makes it easy for car nuts.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
I am a car nut too. I already e-mailed back and forth to the Arizona EPA about emissions and engine swaps. I will need to look for the e-mails--I have them saved at home somewhere. I also talked to a guy there that does engine swaps about this. Anyhing pre-OBDII get's tha tail pipe probe. They also may liik for emissions equipment on the car. (cat's, AIR pumps, etc.)

That means that I will most likely need to swap cams and re-tune the FI on my v8 powered 944 when we move. Here (IL) they eliminated all testing for cars pre-OBDII which makes it easy for car nuts.
I'm new here from MO and I have a 2000 T/A and I installed a cam (along with other mods) in it . I also removed the EGR and AIR from it as well since MO doesnt have emissions. I am curious and trying to get enough info so they wont fail me for having all the mods or lack of an AIR pump. I have cats and a catback exhaust on it, I'm just worried about getting the big fat FAIL after taking the test. I had a tuner tune out the AIR and EGR stuff through LS1 edit and it's not throwing any SES codes.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:14 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver1468 View Post
I'm new here from MO and I have a 2000 T/A and I installed a cam (along with other mods) in it . I also removed the EGR and AIR from it as well since MO doesnt have emissions. I am curious and trying to get enough info so they wont fail me for having all the mods or lack of an AIR pump. I have cats and a catback exhaust on it, I'm just worried about getting the big fat FAIL after taking the test. I had a tuner tune out the AIR and EGR stuff through LS1 edit and it's not throwing any SES codes.
Over the years my Jeep has failed a few times due to the installation of a fuel injection conversion system and the "dispute" process is fairly simple. A little aggravating and requires a 20 minute trip but definitely not the end of the world.

Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM

38 posts, read 149,337 times
If your car is 96+ they only do the OBDII and gascap test IF your car passes. So, if you have no CEL's, you are Good to go.

I have a car that typically wouldnt pass, but since there is no CEL - it does .. GL..

Thumbs down to emissions testing, aka revenue enhancement stations..

Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 AM

153 posts, read 522,048 times
Many people have no idea about the gascap thing before they drive up to emmissions. Check yours before you go. If the rubber seal is all cracked up, go get a new one.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post

ADEQ: Vehicle Emissions: What Vehicles Need to be Tested?

If you can register your Porsche as a 'collector vehicle'; you may be able to dodge the emissions test in its entirety.

In all fairness: your 944 probably had actual little 'emissions' equipment as it is from new............catalytic converter, evap, EGR as well as PCV so; swapping on a pair of cats (if dual exhaust) should get you through. Not sure about Tucson: but; there is no visual inspection on 1981+ cars (except for the evap stuff) here in the Phx area.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
It already has dual cats. The problem with "Collector Vehicle" id the definition. It limits you to basically club events and to and from repair facilities. The insurance is written the same. I like to drive it sometimes as well.

The guy in Tucson that does v8 conversions told me that he makes fake cats and guts the AIR pumps and puts on EGR valves that are not functional. He said that they do visual inspections in Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: