U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM

162 posts, read 811,980 times

Advertisements

I noticed postings about termites in Tucson. Are they really in all - or most houses in Tucson and in the suburbs too like Oro Valley, Catalina Foothills, or even southern - Vail/Green Valley? I would think it would get expensive to repair the houses due to termite damage. Just curious how prevelant they really are in the area.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 PM

702 posts, read 3,017,519 times
Default Green Valley Has Them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post
I noticed postings about termites in Tucson. Are they really in all - or most houses in Tucson and in the suburbs too like Oro Valley, Catalina Foothills, or even southern - Vail/Green Valley? I would think it would get expensive to repair the houses due to termite damage. Just curious how prevelant they really are in the area.
I have lived in Green Valley for 21 years and we do have termites. When a house is built here it comes with a five year termite warranty. That means re-treating the ground if termite mud tubes are seen around the foundation. This happens more in the wet part of summer than any other time. The mud tubes protect the termites from the sun and drying out. The termites get moisture from the damp soil and then crawl thru the tubes and enter the house in foundation cracks. They eat wood and other building material. I purchased a $25,000 termite damage warranty after the initial 5 years ran out. It is up to the homeowner to watch for mud tubes along the foundation and then call the pest control company to retreat. They knock the tubes off and re-treat the ground. The termites that may be left in the house die from lack of moisture. Of course, if there is a water leak in the walls you will have to have that taken care of or you will have big problems. I paid about $175 yearly for the termite warranty. I have had to call them several times. I am in a four year old house now and have had to call them back twice to re-treat the ground. Several of my neighbors have had to do the same. In my old neighborhood there was a house that had termite damage to the extent of a picture falling off of the wall because the wooden stud had been eaten away! My mother-in-law's house had the wallboard (yes, wallboard) eaten thru up to the paint. I was checking the area because they had a small roof leak. I touched the wall and found that in an area about the size of a dinner plate the paint was the only thing left. It was like a sheet of paper with nothing behind it. When the wall was opened up there was a lot of chewed wood. The entire corner had been eaten away. Hence, a Termite Warranty is a good thing. Be sure that the warranty pays for damage as well as re-treating. Some just warranty re-treating the ground. In any case, it is up to the homeowner to be vigilant and check the outer foundation walls as well as the wall/floor area of the inside of the house. Termites have been known to enter a house thru cracks in the concrete slab.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM

4,201 posts, read 13,025,700 times
I think it's very possible termites are or have been in most Tucson-area homes.....but don't let the horror story tactics of termite companies freak you out.....yes, you need to be vigilant and pay attention.....but heavy damage is rare here....there are two types: subterranean and swarming (dry-wood)......most companies only warranty for subterranean and they'll only re-treat, not repair damage....but damage won't be heavy or even noticeable......

I did have live swarming (dry-wood) termites discovered during a bathroom re-do (moist area).....I replaced a few studs, had a specialized company treat it, and put the room back together....I'm not sweating it at all....

I also have an annual $100 warranty for subterranean termites after a treatment (required by the company) a few years ago.....a guy comes out at renewal time to check.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson