Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,566 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have a job offer to work in Tucson and am seriously considering accepting it, which will require a move from the Washington, DC Metro area.

I would like to get opinions on school districts, please. My children are currently in 2nd grade, both in public school, in a school district which ranks highly in Northern VA. My boss-to-be, should I decide to take this job, lives in the Vail school district and is very well pleased with the school his children attend.

I've tried to read through many of the posts, but I've not found enough information re- elementary schools. The school district would dictate where we would choose to live.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon88 View Post
Hi all! I have a job offer to work in Tucson and am seriously considering accepting it, which will require a move from the Washington, DC Metro area.

I would like to get opinions on school districts, please. My children are currently in 2nd grade, both in public school, in a school district which ranks highly in Northern VA. My boss-to-be, should I decide to take this job, lives in the Vail school district and is very well pleased with the school his children attend.

I've tried to read through many of the posts, but I've not found enough information re- elementary schools. The school district would dictate where we would choose to live.

My general impression from people I've met and spoken with who live in the Tucson area is that the Vail school district is the best in the region.

Ken

Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
Quote:

Boss is always right! At least let him think so.

Great Schools

Vail scores 9/10
Tanque Verde 10/10
Tucson Unified 5/10
Amphi 7/10

Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Boss is always right! At least let him think so.

Great Schools

Vail scores 9/10
Tanque Verde 10/10
Tucson Unified 5/10
Amphi 7/10
Interesting site.

Ken

Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM

514 posts, read 1,440,686 times
I 've heard many good things about the Vail school district. I have no children,but I do live in the Vail school district.So, I can only say what I've heard from people who do have children.I will say,it's the one reason,I/we picked this area in case we do have kids.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,566 times
Thank you, all, for the info.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM

65 posts, read 222,801 times
I live in the Vail school district and have a daughter in middle school. I have to say, I have been incredibly impressed with the level of education she's receiving. Her teachers are wonderful, and they are implementing a new program called "Beyond Textbooks" that really ups the ante. They teach things in ways that apply to real life, and in ways the kids enjoy and will remember (i.e. teaching the Civil War via a live role-playing game). Our daughter loves school now, which is really saying something because in the past she'd hate every minute of it. This is her second year in the district.

My sister-in-law has kids in the Tanque Verde schools and they like them, but she has complained of some issues with kids picking on her kids because they don't have the right clothes. That may go on in Vail, too, but my daughter hasn't mentioned it. Of course, she wouldn't care if they did, so YMMV.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:

The best schools in Tucson can't compare to what's available to you in the DC Metro area. If you care about your kid's education at all you will not move to AZ. AZ is now #50 for k-12 spending per pupil and they are actually reducing funding further next year so the situation will get worse. Trust me when I tell you that the people in AZ who tell you that the schools are "good" have no idea what a "good" school actually is.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 PM

153 posts, read 522,048 times
I would seriously consider Albuquerque instead, if you can.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:20 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:

I taught in Vail for 2 years, and I was unimpressed. If you just want your kids to pass the AIMS test or play football, thats the place to go.... anything else I'd be skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson