Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 07:39 AM

222 posts, read 811,069 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Tucson soon because she is looking to get her masters at the University of Arizona.

Obviously, we would like to live near campus to avoid her having a long commute, but are unfamiliar with the area. We don't have kids, so schools are not important but we are not kids ourselves so we don't want to live too close to any wild party student areas. We'd like to rent a 3 brdm house that is close to some shopping and restaurants.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look at when we visit?

Old 05-16-2007, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,215 times
Welcome Bob!
I've relocated here from Michigan myself. This will be my first "summer" and I'm looking forward to what's ahead. Tucson is a beautiful community and I'm sure both you and your wife will find it quite different from Michigan! Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM

164 posts, read 845,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
My wife and I will be visiting Tucson soon because she is looking to get her masters at the University of Arizona.

Obviously, we would like to live near campus to avoid her having a long commute, but are unfamiliar with the area. We don't have kids, so schools are not important but we are not kids ourselves so we don't want to live too close to any wild party student areas. We'd like to rent a 3 brdm house that is close to some shopping and restaurants.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look at when we visit?
My husband and I are also looking to move to AZ, most likely Tucson for the University also. Ive been there once and found it to be very pretty for the mountains surrounding the city. The area around the University is kind of old. I think more west of the city is a better choice for a 3 bedroom home. which means a 20-30 minute commute. Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 AM

222 posts, read 811,069 times
Default Been There, Done That

We made our visit a few weeks ago and really liked the UA campus. Drove around a few neighborhoods and actually found a very nice, brand new home for rent for $1000 a month. Unfortunately, it was more than 30 minutes away, kind of to the south and west, as I recall. I'm thinking we may be better off finding something north of campus.

I also read somewhere that they will start tearing up I-10 soon as part of a three year project. Anyone confirm that for me? And if so, how bad will that make things for drivers?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 174,685 times
It has already begun, you may want to stay east of the freeway.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I graduated from the University of Arizona in 1998--a while ago, but Tucson was a great place to go to college. Sunny about 320 days out of the year, on average. Gorgeous, but super hot summers. From April until October, easily expect 100+ temperatures, but they are mostly non-humid days. Anyway, area-wise, the surrounding 'hoods around the University--especially east of Campbell Ave--are very pretty and date back to the 30s and 40s for construction. Some nice bungalows and quiet streets. The areas immediately south and immediately north of the campus are not so visually appealing. Tucson is also very bike-friendly overall. Good luck and enjoy your experience there.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,652 times
It is still possible to find extremely cheap rent in Tucson. I lived in Tucson for several years, and earlier this year (March/April) stayed with a friend who lives right near UA (Speedway/Park). In this neighborhood it is possible to come across houses renting for under $600/mo. Most of these houses cropped up in the 40s/50s and only have 2 bedrooms. The ones that have been upgraded and added-on cost more, obviously. There are a lot of students in this area...when I say students I'm talking about weekend keggers, Friday night cacophonies, and cans of Bud Light and Keystone littering the footpaths the next day. But you might get lucky and find a nice quiet pocket. Still, you are so close to the college and many other places within walking/biking distance. This particular neighborhood is really bike friendly, with bike/ped paths going under Speedway so you don't have to deal with traffic going to school.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
"close" to UofA means little unless you plan to bike or scooter there (which is a pain when it rains, rarely granted, is still monsoon season in august). parking is horrible around the UofA. most of the small 50's 60's 70's homes around UofA are rented by the college kids. try searching 1-2 mile radius from campus (south tucson is starting to become the real bad sections, etc). there are plenty of homes to rent, you just need to find one you like in the right location.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yall is nieve bout tha no View Post
there is alot of black gangs in the UA area they all had on the same color clothing by 4th avenue. they all were wearing blue that is a sign. I would just take precaution before moving near the UofA

really? i thought there was more mexican gangs than black gangs. anyways, gangs are for the TPD to deal with. carry a piece and steer clear of riff-raff, etc.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:45 AM

45 posts, read 186,899 times
I have lived near the UA for 3 years now (campbell and speedway) and I frequently visit 4th ave. I have never seen "black gangs" there.

As for areas to live; If you want to live N.of the University, you need to go past Lester st. before you will find quiet streets. Don't go N. of Speedway and W. of Park. If you go E. of campus, Sam Hughes Neighborhood has some pretty houses but I don't know how many students live in there. S. of campus is not desirable. NE of campus(where I am) is ok. You need to get N. of Mabel to avoid party houses in this area. E. of Tucson blvd. is also quieter.

On a side note; When we moved over here, all the neighbors were owners of their homes and lived in them. It was really quiet. When the market started its massive rise, the owners sold and now we have three rental houses around us. So even if a neighborhood appears quiet, that can change quickly. Another sign to look for in a neighborhood is red tags. They are usually stuck to a window in the front of the house. The sun fades them to they may appear orange. The tags mean that a house has had too many parties where the police had to come. They don't give it on the first party either. It took about 11 parties for my next door neighbors to get one.
Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: