Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 PM

12,731 posts, read 21,879,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You might find this useful:

Mount Lemmon Observatory Weather

Ken
Thanks, Ken. It looks like it's in the 50s during the day and high 20s-low 30s at night... certainly not warm by any stretch, but 50s sound like heaven right now to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, you got a bit of a mish-mash going on here! We have Sabino Canyon and Kartchner Caverns.
What, you've never heard of the Sabino Caverns?! Hahaha. My mistake. I think the Canyon looks really cool. I'm a little Claustrophobic so the caverns may be out of the question, but I'd give it a shot.

As far as 4th avenue goes, I'm not expecting Boston's Newbury Street or New York's 5th Avenue, but I would like to see some of the local shops and restaurants. I checked it out on google streetview and it looked just fine (by the way, were those streetcar tracks I saw?). Is that where I'll find the best selection of restaurants, bars, and shops or is there another area that's got more?

I REALLY appreciate your input. It's great to get a local edge before arriving. I'm already craving a Sonoran Hot Dog... they sound awesome (and incredibly unhealthy, but still awesome).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,741,233 times
For something "unique" in Tucson try the Pima Air and Space Museum. What makes it unique is going on a tour of the "Boneyard". Which is basically a junkyard for military planes. A one of a kind place. If you like military stuff at all this is a must see.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
As far as 4th avenue goes, I'm not expecting Boston's Newbury Street or New York's 5th Avenue, but I would like to see some of the local shops and restaurants.
There are enough shops (mostly souvenirs and New Age-y stuff) and restaurants and bars. I'm not a big chowhound and I'm a smoker, so I can't advise you much on them. People like them. As far as walkable streets, you may also want to check out University (on the campus of U of A) and Congress (in the other part of downtown). You're pretty lucky as the two parts of downtown were separated until recently. The underpass was opened not long ago. It starts from the Southern end of 4th Ave and you end up on Congress at the historic Hotel Congress .

Quote:
I checked it out on google streetview and it looked just fine (by the way, were those streetcar tracks I saw?).
Yeah, it's a streetcar. You can ride it if you feel like to.

Quote:
Is that where I'll find the best selection of restaurants, bars, and shops or is there another area that's got more?
Restaurants are spread out all over town, but another bigger bunch is on Tanque Verde - the Restaurant Row - Restaurants in Restaurant Row | Metromix Tucson.

Quote:
I REALLY appreciate your input. It's great to get a local edge before arriving.
You know why I'm writing this? Because you said you browsed and will browse and search the forum. I'm sick and tired of people who don't wanna look further than their noses and keep posting one-liners as if the locals must write essays for them every time somebody shows up.

Quote:
I'm already craving a Sonoran Hot Dog... they sound awesome (and incredibly unhealthy, but still awesome).
There have been discussions about this "attraction." You'll find info if you search.

One more thing. I don't know if you're interested, but the nearest border town in Mexico is about 1 1/2 hours away. Should you want to visit it, bring your passport or birth certificate. It's something different. I have a post about it here. Only God knows where my mind was when wrote it, but this molcajete is definitely served in a "bowl," not in a "ball"!

//www.city-data.com/forum/2516338-post29.html

Old 01-14-2010, 06:21 PM

I just noticed you have blogs and snooped. Sooo, you're REALLY into restaurants. Then you may wanna try this one with a great view and good food:

Anthony's In The Catalinas

This one is pretty cool, too:

Hacienda del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 AM

^I can't thank you enough. Like you, I get tired of the constant repeat questions in our forums with no effort to do a little browsing and research. I don't like the expectation that we are all supposed to just type a tour guide for every visitor and I feel like most general questions have not only been answered, but been answered 1,000 times over. I also read a few posts here in the Tucson forum (responded to one) from visitors who wrote a one sentence question and replied to response with one simple sentence. I know we're on city-data because it's "fun," but at least show some gratitude and make some effort. I can tell you that I will be following the advice given here. It's invaluable.

Anyway, the air/space museum and boneyard looks very cool (I used to have a passion for military aircraft when I was younger). I wasn't aware that was in Tucson.

Thanks for the additional input on 4th ave/ Congress. I still forget where my employer said I'll be staying, but I think it's close to this area (not Hotel Congress). I was doing some browsing... I didn't know the streetcar just opened last year and they're studying for more?

Tanque Verde seems like THE place to go to eat. I bookmarked the metromix page. I'll be browsing that quite a bit.

Oh, I discovered the Sonoran Hot Dog by browsing. I hadn't heard of it until looking through the forums before I posted this thread. Then, of course, it made my mouth water (and my arteries tremble). It looks like a place called, El Guero Canelo, is the top pick of most locals. I'll have to record that address. Do any street vendors have good versions of this? I'm thinking it may have to be lunch for me one day at the conference.

Yesterday when I was looking at google maps (I'm addicted) I saw that Nogales was only 1.5 hours away and kind of wanted to visit. I went to Cancun a number of years back, but I really didn't get out of the resort... I may as well have been anywhere. Needless to say, I don't count that as a trip to Mexico... I count it as a trip to the beach. I'm happy to see from your post that Nogales is worth visiting. I'm intrigued by the Molcajete and the "balls" it's served in . While so many of the other attractions seem intriguing, I think I'm going to put a visit to Nogales on the top of my list. I'll be sure to bring my Passport. You said you park on the U.S. side... is that easy to do? I think I'd rather not bring the rental car across the border.

Thanks for the additional restaurant suggestions. Yes, I love dining out as you can see (thanks for checking the blogs, though... that's why they're there, even though they may not be too useful for you). I actually haven't updated those blogs in a while... I'm due. Hacienda Del Sol looks absolutely beautiful. The food looks good (and reasonably priced too). Anthony's looks excellent too, but very expensive. The menu looks awesome though.

Anyway, you've given me dozens of options, thank you. I'll post some photos (I love snapping pictures) and write about my visit when I get back home if you all don't mind. Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
^I can't thank you enough. Like you, I get tired of the constant repeat questions in our forums with no effort to do a little browsing and research. I don't like the expectation that we are all supposed to just type a tour guide for every visitor and I feel like most general questions have not only been answered, but been answered 1,000 times over. I also read a few posts here in the Tucson forum (responded to one) from visitors who wrote a one sentence question and replied to response with one simple sentence. I know we're on city-data because it's "fun," but at least show some gratitude and make some effort. I can tell you that I will be following the advice given here. It's invaluable.
That's the kind of visitor I like and am willing to spend time on! Of course you're also a regular member. The one-liner folks usually just register to post that and you may not even see them on their threads again...

Quote:
Yesterday when I was looking at google maps (I'm addicted) I saw that Nogales was only 1.5 hours away and kind of wanted to visit. I went to Cancun a number of years back, but I really didn't get out of the resort... I may as well have been anywhere. Needless to say, I don't count that as a trip to Mexico... I count it as a trip to the beach. I'm happy to see from your post that Nogales is worth visiting. I'm intrigued by the Molcajete and the "balls" it's served in . While so many of the other attractions seem intriguing, I think I'm going to put a visit to Nogales on the top of my list. I'll be sure to bring my Passport. You said you park on the U.S. side... is that easy to do? I think I'd rather not bring the rental car across the border.
You can park for free on a street, but it won't be too close to the border. There are numerous parking lots ($4-5 a day) and I'd say they're a better option, particularly when you drive a rental... I do other tricks myself, but won't share them on a public forum.

Quote:
Thanks for the additional restaurant suggestions. Yes, I love dining out as you can see (thanks for checking the blogs, though... that's why they're there, even though they may not be too useful for you). I actually haven't updated those blogs in a while... I'm due. Hacienda Del Sol looks absolutely beautiful. The food looks good (and reasonably priced too). Anthony's looks excellent too, but very expensive. The menu looks awesome though.
Both are very nice. Anthony's is also right next door to an upscale mall and art galleries!

Quote:
Anyway, you've given me dozens of options, thank you. I'll post some photos (I love snapping pictures) and write about my visit when I get back home if you all don't mind. Thanks again!
And this kind of a visitor is the best! Later other people would benefit from a visitor's point of view!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 AM

544 posts, read 1,482,130 times
To the OP: You seem intelligent and articulate and this probably has _nothing_ to do with you, but may I make a suggestion? As a native american, I have often observed people from back east, that when they encounter a more racially diverse population than they are accustomed to, sometimes they say things which are inappropriate.

If (for example) you encounter a lot of Latinos and NA's during the course of finding your own night life, please do not refer to them as "chief?" I have seen this so many times. Don't tell us you're "part Indian" or "Cherokee" (the usual claim, which Indians call "parakeets.")

You may feel a little frightened, but don't mention ethnicity in an attempt to develop instant friendships. Treat people with respect and they will treat you respect. And don't go outside to smoke a joint with someone you don't know. That might be a recipe for spending the night in the emergency room and/or jail cell.

Just my .02

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 01-15-2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's the kind of visitor I like and am willing to spend time on! Of course you're also a regular member. The one-liner folks usually just register to post that and you may not even see them on their threads again...
Hahaha well I'm glad you did because I got a lot of good info. I know the types you're talking about.

Quote:
You can park for free on a street, but it won't be too close to the border. There are numerous parking lots ($4-5 a day) and I'd say they're a better option, particularly when you drive a rental... I do other tricks myself, but won't share them on a public forum.
$5/day sounds just fine to me. I don't want to take chances and that's not much money. It shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Both are very nice. Anthony's is also right next door to an upscale mall and art galleries!
Nice. I'll have to get a group of people from work and check this place out. Hopefully if some higher-ups come they can foot the bill!

And this kind of a visitor is the best! Later other people would benefit from a visitor's point of view![/quote]

Exactly. One, I think that if people like you care enough to take the time to respond to the visitors on these forums, you deserve to at least be told how they enjoyed their trip and maybe some feedback on how helpful your information was. I consider it partially a courtesy. Two, while local information is excellent (the whole reason I posted here), tourists look at places from a different perspective. A combination of both local and visitor's perspectives can be very useful.

I can't wait to go now!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Nice. I'll have to get a group of people from work and check this place out. Hopefully if some higher-ups come they can foot the bill!
There are a few other restaurants in this mall, but they're also on the pricey side.

La Encantada | Home -

Quote:
I consider it partially a courtesy. Two, while local information is excellent (the whole reason I posted here), tourists look at places from a different perspective. A combination of both local and visitor's perspectives can be very useful.
Exactly! I usually try to do the same. I skipped that after visiting NOLA and getting some help on their forum, but in some cases it's better to shut up when you have nothing good to say. The problem was as tactful as I was trying to be, they pried for the truth and eventually got some of it…

Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
To the OP: You seem intelligent and articulate and this probably has _nothing_ to do with you, but may I make a suggestion? As a native american, I have often observed people from back east, that when they encounter a more racially diverse population than they are accustomed to, sometimes they say things which are inappropriate.

If (for example) you encounter a lot of Latinos and NA's during the course of finding your own night life, please do not refer to them as "chief?" I have seen this so many times. Don't tell us you're "part Indian" or "Cherokee" (the usual claim, which Indians call "parakeets.")

You may feel a little frightened, but don't mention ethnicity in an attempt to develop instant friendships. Treat people with respect and they will treat you respect. And don't go outside to smoke a joint with someone you don't know. That might be a recipe for spending the night in the emergency room and/or jail cell.

Just my .02
I appreciate the post and your $0.02. I'm actually very sorry to hear that. I've been embarrassed by some of the people from back home on a number of occasions when traveling, so unfortunately, I'm not surprised that you've had to experience some of that.

I'm not part Native American and couldn't imagine claiming to someone who IS NA that I am... It would be like going out in the North End here (Boston's Little Italy) and claim that I'm part Italian (which I'm not) or wear green on St. Patty's Day and drinking a Guinness at the Parade in Southie claiming that I'm Irish (which I am, nearly 100%... don't worry, I'm bringing sun screen). It's insulting to the intelligence of the people who you're claiming to "share" common ancestry with. I can't imagine calling ANYONE, "chief," let alone someone of NA (or Latin American) heritage.

I do appreciate the advice. I will tell you that I would never claim some sort of heritage or ancestry that I don't have in order to gain acceptance into a group. Having traveled quite a bit for a young adult, I've had my share of experience with different cultures. I spent a month in India, two weeks in Spain, a week in Venezuela, and in many other places. Exposure to different cultures (no matter how different from my own) is more exciting than frightening to me. In fact, the fact that it's so different makes it even more exciting and interesting (which is why I find it insulting to claim to have some common heritage when you don't).

Obviously there's a pretty fine line between immersing oneself/embracing a different culture and trying to hard to gain acceptance. I understand and appreciate the different ethnicities and cultures I'll encounter next week, but I certainly won't lie to try and "fit in." I'm sorry you've experienced people from back East who do try and do that. I'd like to point out that while you've had some bad experiences with people from my neck of the woods, we're not all like that. I'd hate to think you have a tainted view of us on the East Coast simply because of those negative experiences (though I don't blame you for being skeptical). Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson