U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,521 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Why is Tucson very dark at night time? there is lack of lights here and looks like a very rural place, when per se, it is a rural place.
Also, why is its economy too slow? Is it because the government wants it that way or because people is not enough creative?
I apologize in advance if my questions hurt somebody feelings.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 PM
 
Location: West of the Catalinas East of the Tortolitas
4,923 posts, read 7,821,106 times
Reputation: 8021
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimaldi View Post
Why is Tucson very dark at night time? there is lack of lights here and looks like a very rural place, when per se, it is a rural place.
Also, why is its economy too slow? Is it because the government wants it that way or because people is not enough creative?
I apologize in advance if my questions hurt somebody feelings.
It's dark because there are light ordinances that prohibit bright lights so as not to interfere with the astronomy observatories on some of the mountain peaks. Of course that only applies at night. We tried restricting the sun so as not to block out the stars during the day, but it didn't seem to work very well, so the powers that be decided just to have the light restrictions at night.

The economy is slow, not because the government wants it that way, but because we are just like many other places in this country suffering from a slow economic recovery after a economic depression. We are but one of many thousands of cities across this great land that are in deep economic doo-doo right now. We are expected to see some improvement in the next year or so, and we're all waiting with baited breath for that to happen. Although, we're not holding our breath. It is also possible that Tucsonans in general may not be too creative, but, by golly, we sure do try hard. Why just yesterday, I thought to myself, "Ya know what would be a cool name for a gas/convenience store? Circle K! I'll bet no one's heard of that before. But, then, I noticed someone had already thought of that. So, I guess I'm just not all that creative.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 7,751,569 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
We tried restricting the sun so as not to block out the stars during the day, but it didn't seem to work very well, so the powers that be decided just to have the light restrictions at night.

It is also possible that Tucsonans in general may not be too creative, but, by golly, we sure do try hard. Why just yesterday, I thought to myself, "Ya know what would be a cool name for a gas/convenience store? Circle K! I'll bet no one's heard of that before. But, then, I noticed someone had already thought of that. So, I guess I'm just not all that creative.

Speaking of rural, dark, and slow... some of these questions from out there in cyber-land are certainly creative, aren't they, Marce?


Regarding the sunblock during the day... the government WILL allow us to have an ECLIPSE every once in a while.

Marce... all of the K names are pretty much taken... Circle-K... K-Mart... Kay Jewelers - (Every Kiss begins with K)... StarbucKs has a K in it... and so does SparKle Cleaners...

You might wanna try creating stuff with an M. It just hasn't been the same in Tucson since they took Monkey Wards away from us...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,526 posts, read 28,983,465 times
Reputation: 11432
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy1210 View Post
it's dark because there are light ordinances that prohibit bright lights so as not to interfere with the astronomy observatories on some of the mountain peaks. Of course that only applies at night. We tried restricting the sun so as not to block out the stars during the day, but it didn't seem to work very well, so the powers that be decided just to have the light restrictions at night.

Go To Your Room, marcy! ! ! ! ! ! !

In response to your dark and slow question, grimaldi . . . to a great extent, i believe many Tucson Citizens prefer it that way.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 7,751,569 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
In response to your dark and slow question, grimaldi . . . to a great extent, i believe many Tucson Citizens prefer it that way.
Hmmm... I wonder where grimaldi might go to find himself a less rural, less dark, and less slow environment?

Yeah... somewhere URBAN, BRIGHT, and FAST!

Have you ever been to Vegas, grimaldi? We have a buddy by the name of Las Vegas Drunk which may be able to direct you, if not give you a personal tour of "Sin City"!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,140 posts, read 22,636,191 times
Reputation: 15243
Nickpick Usage Note: Please, everyone. It's not "baited" breath -- it's "bated" breath; i.e., "bated", as in "paused in anticipation"...not "baited" as in "garlic-infused so as to entrap the unaware."

Carry on.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 7,751,569 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Nickpick Usage Note: Please, everyone. It's not "baited" breath -- it's "bated" breath; i.e., "bated", as in "paused in anticipation"...not "baited" as in "garlic-infused so as to entrap the unaware."

Carry on.
More "nickpick" usage note:


nit·pick

   ˈnɪtˌpɪk Show Spelled[nit-pik] Show IPA
–verb (used without object) 1. to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.


–verb (used with object) 2. to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.


–noun 3. a carping, petty criticism.


–adjective 4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a nitpicker or nitpicking.


Also, nit-pick.

Origin:
1965–70; nit1 + pick1



Carry on!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
 
602 posts, read 1,923,891 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
More "nickpick" usage note:


nit·pick

   ˈnɪtˌpɪk Show Spelled[nit-pik] Show IPA
–verb (used without object) 1. to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.


–verb (used with object) 2. to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.


–noun 3. a carping, petty criticism.


–adjective 4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a nitpicker or nitpicking.


Also, nit-pick.

Origin:
1965–70; nit1 + pick1



Carry on!
You knew what he was saying. That's a mute point, ZP.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,140 posts, read 22,636,191 times
Reputation: 15243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
More "nickpick" usage note:


nit·pick

   ˈnɪtˌpɪk Show Spelled[nit-pik] Show IPA
–verb (used without object) 1. to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.


–verb (used with object) 2. to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.


–noun 3. a carping, petty criticism.


–adjective 4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a nitpicker or nitpicking.





Also, nit-pick.

Origin:
1965–70; nit1 + pick1



Carry on!
How embarrassing for me. Guess I had "picnic" on my mind.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
 
602 posts, read 1,923,891 times
Reputation: 407
Can't tell you how many times I've seen somebody correcting somebody else about their "grammer".
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top