Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo708 View Post
This is a military city... the military is why this place has grown. D-M AFB is the #1 employer of Tucson, RAYTHEON and their military contracts are #2 and the ANG is in the top 5. With all that said im surprised you live here Sierra, lol. No military love?

I know Luke isn't "competing" with TIA for the F35's. TIA would be receiving a bulk of the first 300 or so F35's produced. Luke will definitely be getting them since they are replacing the F16s but won't get them until years after this first batch is delivered.

I think the city asked about that but the idea got turned down.
it's no guarantee that Luke will get them just because they have the F16 ... there a few bases that are competing to be the new training center home for the plane - i think it's pretty much between luke and an AFB in idaho ..... i think luke has to be the front runner though

and I also never expect them to actually fly the things - but it would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 PM

100 posts, read 328,695 times
Bring the F-35's here! I'm all for it.

There are plenty of noisy things that bother me...loud neighbors, crappy car stereo systems, dogs that bark all day, crying babies, loud mufflers, buzzing electrical lines, etc. The sound of jets is the least of my worries.

It seems like most of the people complaining about the sound have NEVER actually heard an F-35 take off (which is when it will be the loudest, I think). It's loud, but not much worse than other jets.

Taken from this website, which answers a lot of questions Tucson Lightning bring the F-35 Lightning, to the Arizona Air National Guard base at Tucson International Airport:

Quote:
The Environmental Impact Study that will be conducted here throughout 2010 will consider the noise generated from the F-35 as part of its site-specific data collection. Lockheed Martin, the manufacturer of the F-35, in conjunction with the Air Force Research Lab, conducted an aircraft acoustics study on the F-35 in October 2008 at Edwards Air Force Base in California. The study found the takeoff and flyover noise generated from the F-35 comparable to the F-22 and F-18. Acoustic levels experienced by the public depend on a number of conditions, including topography, reflective structures, vegetation, weather (temperature, humidity and wind), time of day, observer location in relation to the aircraft, length of time the listener is exposed to aircraft, and total number of flight operations per year. Acoustic levels also depend on flight profiles such as aircraft configuration, aerodynamics, power settings, approach & departure profiles, and air speed. The Air Force is in the process of validating the study results and should the F-35 come here the unit will have plans in place to mitigate any perceived differences.
To me, it's pretty simple. Tucson has a military base. If you moved here knowing there was a military base, then you should accept the noise level of the jets. It seems like living in the vicinity of a military base should be something that people take into consideration before buying or renting a home. I sure did. That's why I don't live right next to DMAFB.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
FREEDOM, baby, FREEDOM!
ZP... ZP... you'll have to graze on a lot more grass!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I'm in favor of bringing them here. My son in law is a '93 grad of the USAFA and his first assignment was training on the F-16 at Luke. He and the plane weren't compatible, so he was transferred to the B-1B, then for the last 12 years, he's been flying the C-17 Globemaster and also been a training pilot for Altus AFB. He's currently in Papa, Hungary at the NATO base there flying missions to Iraq and Afghanistan. For that reason, I'm extremely pro-military and if the AF wants to bring the F35's to TIA, why not? They're already using TIA for the ANG's F-16's. I say, Bring It On! More jobs, a boost to the economy, a stronger military presence, support for my freedoms and protection of my country.... I'm all in favor of it. (That thwaping sound you hear is my flag flying in the breeze up here in OV!)

Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
I am against the F-35 coming to Tucson. That kind of noise is unacceptable for a metropolitan area of 1 million. There are plenty of people in the area who have absolutely nothing to do with the military. We should not be subjected to this jet setting of car alarms and rattling windows. Also the University of Arizona is the 3rd largest employer in Tucson. Why should the learning process be continuously interrupted by jets? It really makes no sense at all.

People have said that this plane is going to provide a boost to the economy, but I fail to see how. It's not like this plane is going to create hundreds of jobs or anything. Sure the pilots of the plane are going to patronize local fast food joints, but that's a laughable reason to bring this noisemaker to town.

If people are yearning for the noise of military jets all day, I'm sure Iraq has a lot of available land for their next home.

The only appropriate place for this plane in Arizona would be out in the Goldwater Bombing Range. The noise of bombs being dropped coupled with planes tearing across the sky will add to the ambience of far western Pima County.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I'm in favor of bringing them here. My son in law is a '93 grad of the USAFA and his first assignment was training on the F-16 at Luke. He and the plane weren't compatible, so he was transferred to the B-1B, then for the last 12 years, he's been flying the C-17 Globemaster and also been a training pilot for Altus AFB. He's currently in Papa, Hungary at the NATO base there flying missions to Iraq and Afghanistan. For that reason, I'm extremely pro-military and if the AF wants to bring the F35's to TIA, why not? They're already using TIA for the ANG's F-16's. I say, Bring It On! More jobs, a boost to the economy, a stronger military presence, support for my freedoms and protection of my country.... I'm all in favor of it. (That thwaping sound you hear is my flag flying in the breeze up here in OV!)
Amen. My dad flew A7's out of DM back in the day. We were stationed in Tucson for about 4 yrs and I loved it there. Now my own son is USAF and I'd give anything for him to get PCS'd to Luke or DM so they could be closer to us when we get settled out there. We took our daughter to visit UofA, and we were on the campus tour when a flight of A10's came in low and slow on final. Damn near brought a tear to my eyes it was so beautiful!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You're implying that Zony has been smoking dope because they believe the military represents and protects our freedom????

Oh the irony!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, okay... but I still prefer OATS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I am against the F-35 coming to Tucson. That kind of noise is unacceptable for a metropolitan area of 1 million. There are plenty of people in the area who have absolutely nothing to do with the military. We should not be subjected to this jet setting of car alarms and rattling windows. Also the University of Arizona is the 3rd largest employer in Tucson. Why should the learning process be continuously interrupted by jets? It really makes no sense at all.

People have said that this plane is going to provide a boost to the economy, but I fail to see how. It's not like this plane is going to create hundreds of jobs or anything. Sure the pilots of the plane are going to patronize local fast food joints, but that's a laughable reason to bring this noisemaker to town.

If people are yearning for the noise of military jets all day, I'm sure Iraq has a lot of available land for their next home.

The only appropriate place for this plane in Arizona would be out in the Goldwater Bombing Range. The noise of bombs being dropped coupled with planes tearing across the sky will add to the ambience of far western Pima County.
"Miamiman" continues to perplex... Pardon our "noise", but both DM and UA have gotten along just fine waaay before the current million peeps who happen to be here... now.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 AM

117 posts, read 286,811 times
Quote:

The military is the only reason Tucsons population is over 1 million. Also, they will help the economy by keeping the ANG here... The ANG will slowly be phased out along with the F16 since this F35 is replacing it. When the ANG is gone then so is the $280+ million they bring to the city each year. Also their routes are flown to avoid downtown and the UofA area

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,458 times
Quote:

Wow, this just may be the most uninformed post I have ever seen here!
Maybe jets were flying by everyday during Miamiman's economics class. ( if he went at all)
So let's take a vote,
A. Miamiman lacks in understanding basic economics.
B. Miamiman is a liberal that despises our military?
I vote for "B"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson