Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM

100 posts, read 326,843 times

Advertisements

I vote for both A and B!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 AM

687 posts, read 2,027,165 times
Not there anymore but I LOVED the sounds of the jets all day and every day. Call me crazy. I miss the sound and we were in close to the flight patterns for DM. If I were still out there I'd love to see those puppies on a day to day basis too.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me in Oro Valley View Post
Wow, this just may be the most uninformed post I have ever seen here!
Maybe jets were flying by everyday during Miamiman's economics class. ( if he went at all)
So let's take a vote,
A. Miamiman lacks in understanding basic economics.
B. Miamiman is a liberal that despises our military?
I vote for "B"
Sorry that you don't like my answer regarding the F-35. Please tell me how the F-35 will boost Tucson's economy. It's okay. I'll wait.

I am actaully an independent. Just because I don't want to feel like I'm in a war zone doesn't mean that I despise the military. But I guess your trigger-happy mind really can't comprehend the idea that everyone doesn't want to feel like they're in 'Nam all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo708 View Post
The military is the only reason Tucson's population is over 1 million. Also, they will help the economy by keeping the ANG here... The ANG will slowly be phased out along with the F16 since this F35 is replacing it. When the ANG is gone then so is the $280+ million they bring to the city each year. Also their routes are flown to avoid downtown and the UofA area
Uh, not true. I guess the nice weather and mountains have nothing to do with why the population here has grown so signficantly? If planes weren't screeching across the sky, I wouldn't even know that there was an air force base here.

Tucson is not a military town. If you want a military town try San Diego, Jacksonville, NC, or Norfolk, VA.

Last I heard, ANG said that they would consider leaving if the F-35 wasn't located here. Not that they would leave. If the only way they'll stay is if we have this monstrosity tear through the sky, then, as far as I'm concerned, they can go.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
"Miamiman" continues to perplex... Pardon our "noise", but both DM and UA have gotten along just fine waaay before the current million peeps who happen to be here... now.
These million or so peeps are here now. As such the military should adjust its operations to accommodate all here. It's silly for the military to believe that they have every right to operate as they always have because there were only 50,000 or so people when they first arrived.

Places change. People need to adjust.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,933,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
If people are yearning for the noise of military jets all day, I'm sure Iraq has a lot of available land for their next home.
There are opportunities much closer. Whoever wants pediatric leukemia and other cancers can easily move to Sierra Vista! Or better yet - Falcon, Nevada, THE biggest cluster in the country! Guess what these 2 places have in common!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
You're implying that Zony has been smoking dope because they believe the military represents and protects our freedom????
Anybody speaking of any freedom these days needs to have his head examined!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,317,728 times
Quote:
These million or so peeps are here now. As such the military should adjust its operations to accommodate all here. It's silly for the military to believe that they have every right to operate as they always have because there were only 50,000 or so people when they first arrived.

Places change. People need to adjust.
The good news, Miami? The military will do whatever it needs to do regarding the F-35 and doesn't require input from any of us. They don't make military decisions based on everybody's whims and desires. They don't bend or break based on affluent, influential, full-time residents of Tucson - or anywhere. They do just fine without us, and have been doing so for a very long time. They don't need to adjust. They don't need to accomodate. They don't need to change for anybody. They've got my blessing, and they don't even need it.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,533,522 times
A long time ago, I posted on this board how after 9-11 the skies grew silent. I was in CO at the time, and on the 2nd day, I heard a jet. It took a second, but my mind remembered there weren't supposed to be any planes flying at all. (Yes, you could even hear commercial jets in rural CO) I went outside and saw a lone F-16 flying overhead. The thrill of knowing our military was patrolling the skies, even over a rural area, made me fill with pride. Later the next year, I was at McChord AFB where my son in law was stationed for an air show with the Thunderbirds, and I saw a CO F-16 parked on the tarmac. I went to say hello to the pilot and as we talked he and I both realized it was he who had been flying over the backside of Pikes Peak the day I heard and saw him. I thanked him profusely for making me feel so protected and I wished him Godspeed. From that day on, whenever I hear a military plane in the sky, I feel safe and protected and yes, free. And for the record, I, too, am an independent. I vote the issue, the person or the cause, not the party. But, I am and will forever be beholden to our military. My father was a proud member of the US Army during WWII in the 44th Infantry, Company C, Secret 7th Army, European Theater, and now my son in law is a Lt. Col. in the USAF, flight operations director for the C-17 at the NATO base in Papa, Hungary. Proud? You betcha!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,533,522 times
Quote:
Sorry that you don't like my answer regarding the F-35. Please tell me how the F-35 will boost Tucson's economy. It's okay. I'll wait.

I am actaully an independent. Just because I don't want to feel like I'm in a war zone doesn't mean that I despise the military. But I guess your trigger-happy mind really can't comprehend the idea that everyone doesn't want to feel like they're in 'Nam all day.

Uh, not true. I guess the nice weather and mountains have nothing to do with why the population here has grown so signficantly? If planes weren't screeching across the sky, I wouldn't even know that there was an air force base here.

Tucson is not a military town. If you want a military town try San Diego, Jacksonville, NC, or Norfolk, VA.

Last I heard, ANG said that they would consider leaving if the F-35 wasn't located here. Not that they would leave. If the only way they'll stay is if we have this monstrosity tear through the sky, then, as far as I'm concerned, they can go.
Service men move here. They bring their families. Their families spend money. They do eat, just like everyone else. The more military personnel here, the more money that goes in to the economy. The military also buys up property to expand its' bases. They put money into the economy through jobs, investments and community partnerships. That also impacts hotels as military personnel are sometimes Q'd in hotels if the Q's or TLF's on base/post are full during their TDY's, which typically last 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer.

With the 2005 BRAC closures, many bases were consolidated and the ones that survived become larger as they incorporated personnel from closed bases. That expands the military presence and personnel in a town, which in turn, brings in more revenue to those cities involved.

As for the noise of jets; the military does extensive noise studies, usually has community forums where they listen to concerns and they explain their flight paths, times of training missions, and other issues that will affect the community. They don't just move in and start flying. They do impact studies and public meetings before anything is fully decided.

I have been coming to Tucson for 16 years, the last three as a resident, and I have been to umpteen hundreds of baseball games in March at Hi Corbett. I have seen A-10's doing maneuvers, F-16's, C-130's, have seen Air Force 1 and 2 land as well as watching several air shows by either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds all while watching a baseball game. That's more noise at low level than most people anywhere else in Tucson would hear, and yet, it never once interferred with the game. The idea that jet noise will be so loud as to routinely interfere with everyday life is laughable. The jets don't "screech across the sky". Try having a C-17 coming in for a landing at Altus AFB in OK as you're on the I-40 in Amarillo. Those planes are HUGE, and slow and low and when one flies over, you instinctively duck.

As I said, the military does noise impact studies and holds public meetings for input in to their flight patterns. Watch your local paper, or call the base's PIO and ask about the next community meeting. Then go, and speak your mind. Or ask to arrange a meeting with the Officer in charge of community affairs. These military bases recognize that they are a part of, not the, community, and usually will work with the city government, the community and local businesses to make them as compatible with the community as possible.

If you have an issue with jet noise, talk to someone on the base about it. Ask them to hold a public meeting if you feel there is a need for one. The military is usually extremely cooperative with the community, and they will address any concerns you or anyone else has. All you have to do is pick up the phone and call the base. Ask for the PIO and he/she will either give you the information or transfer you to someone who can.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,734,844 times
Quote:

My apologies for thinking you were some whacked out liberal that despises out military. I will try not to jump to conclusions in the future. But after looking at your profile it appeared at first glance you were one of the left's zealots that think The Daily Kos and MSNBC and The Huffinton Post are actually news organization. Here's what threw me off, on your "status" you had these following listed.

· "Republicans: When all else fails, blame illegals. - 10-15-2008 04:25 PM
Palin: Empty and Hollow - 10-02-2008 07:39 PM
McCain: Country first, honesty second... - 09-26-2008 05:15 AM "

Then in the election forum you had the following post.

Quote:
Republicans trying to defend their functionally retarded candidates. ^^
Quote:

McCain graduating dead last in his class at the Naval Academy and Sarah Palin's SAT scores at ridiculously low levels. Hey, at least they're mavericks! Let's not ask Palin how to spell maverick, though.

So once again my sincere apologies for assuming you were some whacky lib with PDS (Palin Derangement Syndrome).

But tell me, if a Navy pilot and US Senator, a mother of 5 and a govenor are "retards" what does that make you. Please tell us all the crowning achievment of your life?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,021,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
There are opportunities much closer. Whoever wants pediatric leukemia and other cancers can easily move to Sierra Vista! Or better yet - Falcon, Nevada, THE biggest cluster in the country! Guess what these 2 places have in common!

Anybody speaking of any freedom these days needs to have his head examined!
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson