U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM

19 posts, read 15,043 times

Advertisements

My son and I are planning to visit Tucson around April vacation. I have a coworker that relocated from Maine there who likes it. The thought of no more snowblowing and year round golf appeal to me. yeah, I have read/heard it gets real hot in the summer.

We'll be in the area for about 5 days, this doesn't include the 2 days flying back and forth. What I'm hoping to do is get an initial impression on the area. If my son and I like it, the plan is to visit with my wife another time to see if she likes it or not. If she does like it, we consider relocating.

I was thinking of hitting some open houses, I assume they have those on Sundays like they do up here.

As you can tell, I don't have a real firm gameplan yet. My coworker has extra room so we'll be staying with him and his wife in Rancho Suahurita(sp?).

What I was wondering is what sights/areas should we check out while we're in the area. My son is about 14, in case that matters or not. I'll be combing through threads here and will check out what tourist info I can find online about things to see/do while there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM

42,835 posts, read 85,039,341 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...le-tucson.html

Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,599,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortass View Post
My son and I are planning to visit Tucson around April vacation. I have a coworker that relocated from Maine there who likes it. The thought of no more snowblowing and year round golf appeal to me. yeah, I have read/heard it gets real hot in the summer.

We'll be in the area for about 5 days, this doesn't include the 2 days flying back and forth. What I'm hoping to do is get an initial impression on the area. If my son and I like it, the plan is to visit with my wife another time to see if she likes it or not. If she does like it, we consider relocating.

I was thinking of hitting some open houses, I assume they have those on Sundays like they do up here.

As you can tell, I don't have a real firm gameplan yet. My coworker has extra room so we'll be staying with him and his wife in Rancho Suahurita(sp?).

What I was wondering is what sights/areas should we check out while we're in the area. My son is about 14, in case that matters or not. I'll be combing through threads here and will check out what tourist info I can find online about things to see/do while there.
You are coming at a good time. We have had a lot of rain this winter so the desert should be beautiful in April. If you are here for 5 days here is a trip-a-day for you!

Saguaro National Monument
Kartchner Caverns
Pima Air Museum & Boneyard
Sabino Canyon
San Xavier Mission

And yes Sunday and even some on Sat are the traditional open house days here.
Enjoy your trip.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks for that link Sierra. Checking it out now.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks Rick.

I figured i'd ask the experts and I know the Boneyard will be visited. We'd both enjoy that one.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 PM

42,835 posts, read 85,039,341 times
Quote:
Thanks for that link Sierra. Checking it out now.
You're welcome. Have a good time!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 PM

117 posts, read 272,234 times
Well, if you're staying in Sahuarita then the Titan Missile Museum is literally right down the street. You can get a package deal with the Pima air museum and save some money if you're into that kinda thing

Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 AM

6 posts, read 11,651 times
Quote:
My son and I are planning to visit Tucson around April vacation.
Before we made a final decision to move here, we spent two weeks in a hotel to 'test drive' the 112 F weather. Ultimately, we decided that it wasn't the major drawback that others found it. Not compared to sitting and freezing through a Chicago winter, at least.

Not a lot of golf from mid-June to September, except in the very early morning. You'll have the courses to yourself.

Dangerous Bill

Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,651 times
Sahuarita is some distance out of Tucson. Not far away is the San Xavier del Bac Mission, a historic building 200 years old built by the Spanish.

Forget the Tucson city center. It's a high-rise canyon like every other city, but less user-friendly. But there is something for everyone in Tucson, theater, festivals, museums, wotnot. But if you plan to move here, you might want to seek out more practical things, like the quality of various neighborhoods. You need to find a guidebook.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM

522 posts, read 1,500,731 times
One of my favorites is Sabino Canyon anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson