U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM

8,685 posts, read 15,833,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
McDonald's is your example of superior Mexican food in NM? Really?

I agree that there are a lot of excellent Mexican restaraunts in NM, but McDonald's is not one of them by any means.

Listen, I'm no Tucson "fanboy," but the Mexican food in Tucson is actually pretty good if you know where to eat. There are a lot of non-chain options and some of the food is comparative to what you will find anywhere in Sonora. Look around a little bit and stay out of the chains and you will find some great examples of authentic Northern Mexican cuisine.

I'll be visiting Tucson again in a couple of months and the food is one of the things that I look forward to the most...
Share? Please...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,573,384 times
La Parrilla Suiza in Tucson has great food, (I know, I used to work there).
Su Casa restaurante on 4th avenue is delicious too.
For fast Mex food, Nico's on Ft Lowell and Campbell is bomb! Their breakfast burritos are so good, I can't find a place here that makes them the same. Filebertos tries, but no dice.
Anyways, I love MENUDO! Anyone else?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,481,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
Warning: this post may offend many with equally strong opinions.

For as much as Americans love their Mex and pizza, there are surprisingly few places that excel at doing either well.
You didn't offend me, your points are well-taken. I have to say that in moving to Tucson, I thought I would find dozens of fab Mexican haunts. But I favor only a couple. Mostly, you can't tell one from the other.

What I am most horrified by here (and what you have obviously noticed) is what passes for pizza. Tucson pies are so bad, I've taken to making my own pizza at home. The crusts here are simply TERRIBLE. Even pies that are bad elsewhere (Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc.) are worse in Arizona. Magpie's is the only one I found that's even edible -- and it's expensive.

My speculation is that the water here is a prime factor. I saw a Food Network program where chefs ate three pizza slices that looked identical -- and every one of the chefs was able to identify the piece that was from NYC. I've heard a rumor that there's a pizzeria in Phoenix that makes its pies with water imported from NYC. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where is it?

I don't eat out in Tucson nearly as much as I did in other places I lived. Most of the food I've found here that's worth eating is expensive. I moved here from Pittsburgh and great Italian food can be found there in dives where a feast is $12. I'm willing to pay if food is great but $20 entrees that aren't as good as Bertollis frozen food?! Meh.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM

56 posts, read 153,907 times
My fave Mexican joints in Tucson are La Parilla Suiza and El Molinito (22nd and Craycroft). As has been mentioned, Mi Nidito used to be really good when all they were trying to do was make good food.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

172 posts, read 405,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
My fave Mexican joints in Tucson are La Parilla Suiza and El Molinito (22nd and Craycroft). As has been mentioned, Mi Nidito used to be really good when all they were trying to do was make good food.
Since you have Las Cruces, NM listed as your location and are one of several recommending La Parilla Suiza in Tucson I'll have to check it out.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM

172 posts, read 405,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
La Parrilla Suiza in Tucson has great food, (I know, I used to work there).
Su Casa restaurante on 4th avenue is delicious too.
For fast Mex food, Nico's on Ft Lowell and Campbell is bomb! Their breakfast burritos are so good, I can't find a place here that makes them the same. Filebertos tries, but no dice.
Anyways, I love MENUDO! Anyone else?
Menudo yes. Used to eat it sometimes in LA. Like it. Sure could go for a hand formed stuffed blue masa patty and a side of Menudo now. Yum. Or a fresh squash blossom stuffed with farmers cheese, fried, and topped with a spicy red sauce. Yum.

Alas, here in AZ it's more often than not foodservice # ten canned pinto beans, processed grated cheddar, overly processed corn/flour tortillas covered in that ubiquitous rank red sauce (that is about equal to what a Taco Bell uses) with the perfunctory side of 'Gringo Mexican' rice, mystery salsa and chips. Add Margaritas made from a mix and you have the Arizona way.

I assume the "delicious" Su Casa (common name) in Tucson has no relation to the "don't waste your money" Su Casa in Clarkdale, AZ - right?

Last edited by bongofury; 04-13-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 PM

2,690 posts, read 2,115,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Share? Please...
I guess my tastes are simple. I like the carne tacos at BK's on 12th and the Tamales I can buy in front of the grocery stores on 6th Ave. As far as restaurants go, I still like Poco Cosa and El Charro. There's another little place just South of the Convention Center parking lot that makes decent food, but the name evades me. I've eaten at Los Remedios, Restaurante Bar Cafe Tacuba, Bellinghausen Zona Rosa Colonia Juarez del Cuauhtemoc, the Four Seasons, the Nikko, etc..., in Mexico City and I'll take a BK's taco with a pile of their fresh pico de gallo anytime.

The best Mexican Food I've ever had in my life was from a Taco stand in Monterrey Mexico. That family cooked carne asada that was to die for!!! They also made delicious fresh salsa. They would have lines of customers that were 20 deep on any given night.

One thing about Tucson food that I really miss is the steak sandwiches that you can buy during the street fair on 4th Avenue from that guy who cooks them on a trailer grill. I know it's not Mexican food, but those things are yummy.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:18 PM

602 posts, read 1,964,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

What I am most horrified by here (and what you have obviously noticed) is what passes for pizza. Tucson pies are so bad, I've taken to making my own pizza at home. The crusts here are simply TERRIBLE. Even pies that are bad elsewhere (Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc.) are worse in Arizona. Magpie's is the only one I found that's even edible -- and it's expensive.
Well, everyone has different tastes. By and large, pizza is horrible in the States, but many cities have some place or places that are pretty good. I prefer thin crust made in a brick oven that burns either wood or coal. Here in Tucson, two brick oven places are Grimaldi's (they use coal) and make them just like they do at the Grimaldi's at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge (patterned after Neapolitan pizzas), and it's surprisingly inexpensive, and very tasty. I was shocked at their lunch special. Pretty sure it was a personal pizza and a drink for like $6 or something like that. Very reasonable and good.

The other place I recently tried was Zona 78, and they too do the brick oven thing and use locally made mozzarella. I thought it was very tasty. Thinking that pizza was about $11. I got a Margherita (style pizza). I used to live in Naples, fwiw, so I'm most fond of that style. To me, Magpies is lousy.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,573,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I guess my tastes are simple. I like the carne tacos at BK's on 12th and the Tamales I can buy in front of the grocery stores on 6th Ave. As far as restaurants go, I still like Poco Cosa and El Charro. There's another little place just South of the Convention Center parking lot that makes decent food, but the name evades me. I've eaten at Los Remedios, Restaurante Bar Cafe Tacuba, Bellinghausen Zona Rosa Colonia Juarez del Cuauhtemoc, the Four Seasons, the Nikko, etc..., in Mexico City and I'll take a BK's taco with a pile of their fresh pico de gallo anytime.

The best Mexican Food I've ever had in my life was from a Taco stand in Monterrey Mexico. That family cooked carne asada that was to die for!!! They also made delicious fresh salsa. They would have lines of customers that were 20 deep on any given night.

One thing about Tucson food that I really miss is the steak sandwiches that you can buy during the street fair on 4th Avenue from that guy who cooks them on a trailer grill. I know it's not Mexican food, but those things are yummy.

BK is da bomb! And so is El Guerro Canello also on 12th ave... We used to cruise around by after the bars closed and eat there.....good times....

Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 PM

36 posts, read 103,713 times
Default A Good Steakhouse?

My wife and I are going to visit the Tucson area in a week or so, and I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a good steak? I love a big, thick, juicy steak...but I don't want to pay a lot for it. Any help would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson