U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM

4,923 posts, read 8,079,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlove View Post
Hmmm, you bring up an interesting topic, Marcy1210... are people really different... or similar, for that matter - as a result of/despite where they may come from geographically?
I really do! Like rbohm said, people who are from smaller towns, tend to be more community oriented. If you think of smaller towns in the Midwest, the west or the Mid-Atlantic, they have a real community feeling. I think of "Friday Night Lights", the drive-in or the local movie theater, a rallying point like farms, a military base, the high school, the church/es, the bowling alley, etc. These sorts of towns really look out for their people. You go to Phoenix, and even in the suburbs, no one knows each other, they all go in different directions, there's no sense of community. Lots of kids can't wait to leave small towns when they get out of school and head for the big cities, and lots of city dwellers like the idea of a small town, but I still think they take their attitudes with them, and it takes a lot to learn to exist in an area that is very different that how you were raised.

My brother-in-law grew up in Julesburg, CO; we lived in Divide, CO and dh worked in Woodland Park; my daughter lives in Paola, KS and another daughter lived for years in Altus, OK and my best friend lives in Stanton, NE. The one thing we all have is a small town mentality. We look out for our neighbors, offer to help if needed, and are just generally there for people.

In small towns, there were school functions, neighborhood block parties, church activities, one major grocery store where all the cashiers knew the patrons, one library, maybe a medical clinic or a regional hospital, a couple of attorneys, but the feeling was one where everyone watched everyone else's back. If someone died, the whole town knew. But, these types of communities are quickly being eaten up by companies like Con-Agra, companies that buy huge farms and then lease out the land for grazing, military bases that create their own communities and pretty soon, you get the "townies" vs the "outsiders". That's happening in CO where I lived. People from Colorado Springs want to come up the pass to Woodland Park for the small town atmosphere, but they bring their big city ideas and try to influence city council and the schools and other entities. They usually find that they can't change things, and eventually leave.

Generally, smaller towns tend to be more conservative, but not always, just like large cities are not always liberal. But, there really are differences in attitudes. Close-knit as opposed to watch-out-for-#1.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson