Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 AM

10 posts, read 29,181 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'll be moving to Tucson some time this summer and I was hoping for more information on Sam Hughes. I wanted to know how safe it was for students (especially single women) and pets (I have two indoor Chihuahuas). In all honesty, I'm not looking forward to living in Tucson, period. I've read a lot of bad stuff about it on this thread and am really not looking forward to the possibility of being burglarized. The idea of not being at home if it does happened and someone taking my dogs is absolutely horrifying to me. So, here are some of my questions: 1. Is Sam Hughes really the safest and most convenient neighborhood for University students? 2. I read in another Tucson thread that the drug running is starting to creep in from South Tucson. Has Sam Hughes seen any rise in this? 3. Are there any other neighborhoods within walking distance to the University that might suit me and my safety concerns? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggirl1000 View Post
1. Is Sam Hughes really the safest and most convenient neighborhood for University students?
Yep, it's as good as it gets close to U of A. There are a few others, even more expensive, but there are no rentals normally in them.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
personal safety is always a valid concern, but burglary or whatever can happen to anybody...no amount of gates, locks, guards will completely stop the threat....

just do the basics: be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, leave a light on in and out, know your neighbors and their cars, don't leave stuff out, don't draw attention........

Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggirl1000 View Post
Hello, I'll be moving to Tucson some time this summer and I was hoping for more information on Sam Hughes. I wanted to know how safe it was for students (especially single women) and pets (I have two indoor Chihuahuas). In all honesty, I'm not looking forward to living in Tucson, period. I've read a lot of bad stuff about it on this thread and am really not looking forward to the possibility of being burglarized. The idea of not being at home if it does happened and someone taking my dogs is absolutely horrifying to me. So, here are some of my questions: 1. Is Sam Hughes really the safest and most convenient neighborhood for University students? 2. I read in another Tucson thread that the drug running is starting to creep in from South Tucson. Has Sam Hughes seen any rise in this? 3. Are there any other neighborhoods within walking distance to the University that might suit me and my safety concerns? Thank you!
Sadly, Travelinggirl . . . it sure sounds like you've been reading too many horror stories or watching too much late night TV.

Tucson is by no means perfect, however, it is definitely no worse than any other city of equal size and probably not nearly as bad as many other cities.

Being a Crime Victim of any type is not pleasant but in most cases basic common sense works wonders.

Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM

13 posts, read 32,774 times
One of the truly nice things about the Sam Hughes neighborhood is that people really do actually know each other. I have a friend who lives there, and she likes to family feel. This is not to say it's perfectly safe--no neighborhood is--but DO get to know the neighbors and keep your eyes open. I think you'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
The other people here have already provided good advice. But I'm just curious, travelinggirl1000, where in the U.S. you think you will be immune from the possibility of burglaries?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 29,181 times
The boonies in Michigan! Bwahahahaha! Sorry, I can't help poking fun at my home state. No, I'm just trying to balance the reality and what I hear on the news and read on these forums. The picture painted on here is quite bleak. If I had to guess (and I am guessing since I've never been to Tucson) is that Sam Hughes is on the cusp of a warzone, and the whole city of Tucson is overrun with gun-toting drug lords. Obviously that is not the picture. My initial panic has subsided and I thank you all for your comments to help me keep it in perspective.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 AM

66 posts, read 201,693 times
Hi travelinggirl1000,
I moved from Michigan to Tucson 13 years ago and lived there for six years. I really loved it. I worked with older visually impaired people and one of our training areas was Sam Hughes. We walked all over the neighborhood, and many of our staff members were young women, and everyone said it felt very safe. From what I remember, there were really pockets of of neighborhoods that seemed unkempt or had an unsafe feel to them even on what people would consider the good side of town. There were also pockets of very nice neighborhoods in what people might consider that bad side of town. I think once you've been there a while and traveled around the city you'll get to know what areas you feel safe in and which ones you don't. Tucson is a great city with a lot to offer as far as culture and entertainment. I miss it everyday. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson