U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 PM

29 posts, read 121,419 times

Advertisements

What kind of SUV would you recommend for newcomers to Tucson? I am not really sure because some of the popular ones are likely to get stolen (Ford Explorer / Jeep etc.), so I thought it'd be better to get something less common. But will less common brands, say Acura MDX or Lincoln Navigator, be too conspicuous - and invite trouble?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 PM

4,211 posts, read 13,343,765 times
first decide if you really need to own an SUV.....what are your needs and plans?....do you really plan to go off-road in it a lot?.....do you often haul more than three people around?...if not, it's not the correct vehicle to own....those higher-end models you mention are not really common here and, to many, are more a personal statement of status and not really practical...(not to mention the oft-told joke about the need to compensate for...uh....personal inadequacies!).....consider gas mileage and maintenance costs, too....

Last edited by azdr0710; 03-30-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM

9,549 posts, read 29,900,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiss View Post
What kind of SUV would you recommend for newcomers to Tucson? I am not really sure because some of the popular ones are likely to get stolen (Ford Explorer / Jeep etc.), so I thought it'd be better to get something less common. But will less common brands, say Acura MDX or Lincoln Navigator, be too conspicuous - and invite trouble?

Thanks!
Regardless of the vehicle type, Oasiss . . . common sense security will eliminate or at least reduce the risk of theft.

Drive what you like and/or want.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Regardless of the vehicle type, Oasiss . . . common sense security will eliminate or at least reduce the risk of theft.

Drive what you like and/or want.
Thanks Bummer and azdr0710 - I'll think more about it. Speaking of security, and not to sound paranoid, do you have suggestions on how to better protect myself? I've never touched a gun myself, but I saw on the news that an old lady shot at her attacker a couple of weeks ago in a Walmart parking lot. Are guns that common in AZ?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 8,082,024 times
Quote:
Thanks Bummer and azdr0710 - I'll think more about it. Speaking of security, and not to sound paranoid, do you have suggestions on how to better protect myself? I've never touched a gun myself, but I saw on the news that an old lady shot at her attacker a couple of weeks ago in a Walmart parking lot. Are guns that common in AZ?
What??? NO!!!!! Don't get a gun. Get a Club for your steering wheel. That's more security than you'll need.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM

9,549 posts, read 29,900,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
What??? NO!!!!! Don't get a gun. Get a Club for your steering wheel. That's more security than you'll need.
Great point / suggestion, Marcy.

Another common sense security precaution would be to park all vehicles inside your locked garage, if available, instead of outside and reserving the garage for tons of worthless junk.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM

42,835 posts, read 84,997,435 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Get whatever you want, but make sure the color is not dark!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:07 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,705,412 times
This is Tucson. People literally drive ANYTHING here, ANYTHING.

I have seen people here in cars with missing hoods, missing doors, and missing windows. I've even seen a hard top car with a missing roof (who knows how that happened). There are quite a few cars in this town that, quite honestly, are probably not even worth $100.

On the flip side I see people in luxury cars and SUVs too.

Tucsonans LOVE their cars no matter what shape they're in.

You will fit in no matter what you drive. Unlike many other parts of the country adverse driving conditions due to weather almost never occur. That should give you great flexibility in your choice.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM

Would you guys / ladies consider yourself typical of Tucsonans? If so I think I will like that place. :-)

Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,997,435 times
Quote:
Would you guys / ladies consider yourself typical of Tucsonans? If so I think I will like that place. :-)
Afraid not. I'm a foreign transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: