Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times

Advertisements

I drive to San Diego two or three times a year. rbohm's suggestion is an especially good one if you're going in the summer. Headed west, that afternoon sun can be killer this time of year. I freeze bottles of water and that I can drink in the car as they defrost.

I've made an overnight in Yuma quite a few times, but there was a reason. I worked weekends and couldn't get on the road on Sunday until about 8 p.m. I wouldn't drive straight through at night when I was alone because I didn't want to drive that mountain pass in eastern California in the middle of the night. So I would leave after work, sleep in Yuma, get up early, go through the mountains in the morning and be in San Diego in time for lunch. You can get a motel room at a decent, no-frills place in Yuma for about $40 through Priceline. Yuma has tons of cheap motels for the military. An extra half-day in SD is worth $40.

And don't forget to keep an eye on your gas. Almost every exit says "gas," but Gila Bend and Yuma, AZ, and El Centro and El Cajon, CA, are in my experience the only places where the stations are right at the exit. Don't take any chances until you're sure your cell phone gets a signal the whole way. Not all carriers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Are there any particular seasons when the drive from Tucson to San Diego may be rather windy?
Ragnar: I've never had wind any worse than what we have in Tucson all the time, but once in winter I had TERRIBLE fog starting in the mountains and all through eastern San Diego County. One of my scariest driving experiences ever. Don't tell OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson