Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,530,152 times

Advertisements

I was driving around OV today trying to find places to take my granddaughter's "Flat Stanley" pictures for her 2nd grade project, (if anyone's curious, I'll explain) and turned left on Rancho Vistoso from Oracle. I came upon Del Webb Sun City. I had no idea it was there, and it's a large "subdivision" with golf course, pools, crafts center, library, restaurant and more for seniors, I think. At least judging from the people I saw, I would guess that.

Is it a year round community, or is it mostly snowbirds as I saw a lot of "foreign" license plates from up north. My sister in law and her husband would like to have a place down here for the winters as they have friends in Green Valley, which they say is master planned, but they like this area of Tucson better. They checked out a Del Webb in Sahuarita (I think) and weren't too impressed. Anybody have any info on this Del Webb community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,733,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I was driving around OV today trying to find places to take my granddaughter's "Flat Stanley" pictures for her 2nd grade project, (if anyone's curious, I'll explain) and turned left on Rancho Vistoso from Oracle. I came upon Del Webb Sun City. I had no idea it was there, and it's a large "subdivision" with golf course, pools, crafts center, library, restaurant and more for seniors, I think. At least judging from the people I saw, I would guess that.

Is it a year round community, or is it mostly snowbirds as I saw a lot of "foreign" license plates from up north. My sister in law and her husband would like to have a place down here for the winters as they have friends in Green Valley, which they say is master planned, but they like this area of Tucson better. They checked out a Del Webb in Sahuarita (I think) and weren't too impressed. Anybody have any info on this Del Webb community?

They have them all around the sunbelt retirement areas. Dell Webb was kind of the originator for retirement communities. All for 55 and over. Sun City Vistoso Golf Course in Oro Valley is a great course with very reasonable annual membership fees. Or you can pay a daily fee for play. Here's a link for Dell Webb, tells you about the company and all the individual communites. I have heard nothing but good things about them as far as a place to live. Many live there year round and others use it as a winter getaway. Homes there range in size from 1000 sf to 2600 sf and have a price range of 160,000 to 500, 000. There is presently 80 homes on the market in Sun City Vistoso, so lots to choose from! Ammenities nearby down off of Tangerine Road too, shopping, restaurants, OV Hospital etc.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 02-06-2010 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,733,742 times
Forgot to ask, what is "Flat Stanley" pictures?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 AM

Flat Stanley is the name of a character in a book of the same title. It's a program for 2nd graders all across the nation in which they color a "flat" image of Stanley or themselves. In the book, Stanley yearns to travel, so he mails himself to another state to see the sights. What the children do, is choose a friend or relative in another state and send them a "flat" whatever their name is image, and the recipient takes the "flat" person to some of the highlights of their area, take pictures of the "flat" person at the scenes, and then mails the pictures and a small souvenir back to the child who presents their "flat" self's chosen state to the class. My granddaughter, Meghan, lives in KC and sent her flat self to me, so I took her to hug a cholla, a saguaro, sit on a javelina statue at Safeway, see a sunset, check out local birds (I parked her for a day on the balcony and when a cactus wren or a gila woodpecker or some other local bird came to the feeder, I snapped a picture), see the Rockies sign at the Camino Campestre entrance to Hi Corbett, visit the Desert Museum and see a scorpion and a tarantula. I printed the pictures and put them in page protectors, labelled the pics and put them in a binder. I enclosed a jar of prickly pear jelly, a box of crackers and a small spreading knife and mailed the package back to her school.

The Official Flat Stanley Project

Play the YouTube video, it's really cute!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 19,113 times
Default Sun City Vistoso in Oro Valley

Hi Marcy -

I'm new to this forum and just posted my opinion of Sun City vs. Saddlebrooke on another thread. Here's what I said:

As a fairly new homeowner in Sun City Vistoso (about 8 miles south of Saddlebrooke), I find many comments on this thread and others about Saddlebrooke just help to reinforce why my husband and I chose Sun City instead. Both communities have a wide range of activities geared to people who are looking for an "active adult" lifestyle. Saddlebrooke is a bit newer with beautiful homes and lovely mountain views, and it is a tremendously larger development (Sun City only has 2,400 homes). The biggest difference we have found is that most people in Saddlebrooke seem to be OBSESSED with golf! We enjoy golfing at our one (not 4) private course, and also other courses in the area. But . . . we don't golf almost every day and we don't include the subject of golf in nearly every conversation! To be fair, we have met some really nice Saddlebrooke residents who are involved in a variety of activities, just like we are. So if you're looking for an active adult community for your retirement and you don't want golf to take over your life, do yourself a favor and check out Sun City Vistoso where you'll find many beautiful homes, mountain and golf course views, and lots of really friendly people who have a zest for ALL of the good things in life!

In response to your curiosity about the resident demographics - here's my take on it. The first homes in Sun City Vistoso were built in 1987 and at the time the minimum age requirement for residency was 55 (I believe it is now 45). Many of the original owners of the phase 1 and phase 2 homes are now in the 80-ish range and for a variety of reasons, lots of those homes are being sold (spouse has died, health is failing, moving in with children, etc). My husband and I purchased our home in 2008 at the age of 60 and we are witnessing a big influx of new residents who are way closer to our age than many of our neighbors who have lived here for many years. With many baby boomers nearing retirement, it's my opinion that the average age of Sun City residents will be closer to 65 than the current average of 75 within the next 5 years. In a survey taken last year, I believe something like 70% of the owners in Sun City live there year-round.

IMO, anyone who is looking for a pristinely cared for and maintained active adult community with reasonably priced homes should certainly consider Sun City Vistoso.

Last edited by LoveSunCity; 03-31-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 AM

My sister in law and her husband were here a while back and did go look at it. They liked it, but neither is in to golf, they both love to travel and currently live in Denver, so they're close the the airport, there. They're in their mid-60's and she is involved in lots of needlework clubs and guilds in the Denver area, and doesn't really want to give that up right now, plus they have several trips planned to Europe and the Carribean, so they like being near Denver International. Dave's mom is in her 90's and her health is failing fairly rapidly and that's another concern, so I doubt they'll be down here anytime soon, unfortunately. I've thought about it, because I was really impressed with it, but I just unpacked my last box from the house in CO and I'm not ready to move again anytime soon! Plus, I still have a 20 year old living at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson