Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 AM

182 posts, read 810,790 times

Advertisements

hi,
I am thinking of relocating to the southwest and was looking for an area that supports the arts that is not crazy expensive. I understand Sedona /Flagstaff area might be good but expensive. I am thinking maybe more south and a bit warmer. Would Tucson be a good place? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
Tucson is certainly warmer than Sedona & Flagstaff.
Tucson affordability? Probably much like Flagstaff.
Sedona is REALLY high priced, but if you like that area best, you could easily drive in from Cottonwood/Verde Valley area - only about 20 to 30 minutes - which is much more affordable than Sedona.

You should try to spend some time in each area before you make a big commitment, if possible. If you're into camping, that'll save some $$.

Camping at Flagstaff between May and Sept is good.
The other places are easier sleeping at night's cool chill from late Sept - Apr.

If you camp near Tucson, stay at Catalina State Park - clean bath houses & very safe. In Flagstaff, try the KOA Kampgrounds. I think there's a state park or two in Verde Valley with camping facilities, but I've not tried them yet, so can't really say.

Hope that's helpful. Welcome to Arizona!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 34,052 times
Default Wish I had read this sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
hi,
I am thinking of relocating to the southwest and was looking for an area that supports the arts that is not crazy expensive. I understand Sedona /Flagstaff area might be good but expensive. I am thinking maybe more south and a bit warmer. Would Tucson be a good place? thanks
WOW Tucson is an elitist artsy place.
WOW Tucson is a cutting edge experimental artsy place.
WOW Tucson is a cultural void in an artsy place
WOW Tucson is trying to be an artsy place
It is what you make it, one out of five persons living in Tucson Territories considers themself an artist....go figure.

Fun artist communities, well not really, affordable, yes, there is no MIDDLE class in Tucson very well to do, and then the under $25,000 makes up the broke down bus riding population. Most people purchase art elsewhere, and artist generally sell elsewhere too.

If you did relocate check out 6th Avenue, The New West, a cultural corridor in the making...from the TCPA to the warehouse district, Woman Kraft, Drawing Studio, Beowulf Alley, ArtFare The Muse, Space 111, MOCA...it's there but they don't always want you there...

Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 PM

31 posts, read 130,977 times
Lightbulb not sure, but...

Quote:
hi,
I'm also looking for an arty area in AZ. I'm not from there, but have heard good things about Tubac, south of Tucson. From searching on the web, I think it looks pretty cool. Here are some sites that I found interesting.

Good luck, and let me know what you find!

Tubac Center of the Arts -- Southern Arizona Fine Arts
Tubac, AZ - DesertUSA
Tubac Festival of the Arts (http://www.tubacaz.com/festival.asp - broken link)

Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 34,052 times
Tubac is a wonderful and lovely area. Close enough to Tucson with great facilities, medical and professional.
Tubac is one of the last Art Colonies , very colaborative enviroments.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
Tubac is amazingly interesting . . . and expensive compared to Tucson

Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
hi,
Tubac is a great "art" area, however, I think Bisbee may be more affordable. Unfortunately, the best weather overall is still in Tucson.

Personally, I would feel a little "left out" in either of those more remote areas.

Good Luck

! ! ! !

Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 24,619 times
Default North or South

Sedona is ridiculously expensive. If you want to sell there, you can certainly live outside the city. A friend of mine is represented by a gallery in Sedona, but she lives in Cottonwood, which is much more moderately priced.

Tucson has the best weather! It's about the same price wise as Flagstaff.

I live in Flagstaff. It is expensive, but not so much as Sedona. The real problem here is jobs, if you need a real one. There are just a few major employers. Part time jobs are plentiful though. The artist community is wonderful and there are lots of opportunities to be involved!

Anyone considering Arizona should make at least one trip and spend some time getting a feel for their top choices, because each town is so unique.

artsyflag
[url=http://www.studio4foot2.com]Studio 4 Foot 2: unique art for unique kids - Welcome[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson