U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM

29 posts, read 120,243 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We will go on an apartment hunting trip soon, so if you can share some opinions about apartments in the oro valley / catalina foothills area, that would be really great.

My top priority is safety; after that, it's probably the critters. If you ran into scorpions or other things in an apartment complex, please let me know (so we can stay away from them)...

Many thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 22,219 times
I'd stay away from anything managed by MEB properties

Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,122,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softscience View Post
I'd stay away from anything managed by MEB properties
He-he, and if you add HSL, you'd run out of apartments.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 22,219 times
if you can rent a house, try and go for that. They tend to be priced about the same as apartments in most neighborhoods.

Regarding my take on MEB - they will try to swindle you into a prolongued lease of 15+ months. Otherwise you'll end up paying more per month. Let me tell you though, that a 15 month lease becomes VERY long once the complex you move into becomes overrun with little gang-banger creeps. And don't bother trying to get out of the lease early, MEB won't budge.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 AM

9,535 posts, read 29,358,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softscience View Post
if you can rent a house, try and go for that. They tend to be priced about the same as apartments in most neighborhoods.

Regarding my take on MEB - they will try to swindle you into a prolongued lease of 15+ months. Otherwise you'll end up paying more per month. Let me tell you though, that a 15 month lease becomes VERY long once the complex you move into becomes overrun with little gang-banger creeps. And don't bother trying to get out of the lease early, MEB won't budge.
Excellent point, Softscience . . .

I would strongly recommend either No Lease or at least the shortest lease possibly until a better feel for the neighborhood and/or complex has been determined. If comfortable after a few months, then negotiate a better rent or improvements with a lease.

Also, since commuting in Tucson is less than fun, employment location is very important.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 PM

602 posts, read 1,942,518 times
I can recommend Rock Ridge in Oro Valley. Right on Oracle Rd, and next to much convenient shopping. No indication of gang bangers at all in this area. You'd think you'd pay a big premium for living in a safer/nicer area, but prices are quite reasonable. Jmho.

OV sounds sort of remote sometimes, but this complex is right on Oracle Rd, and it only takes maybe 7 or 8 minutes to be at Oracle and Ina (to give you some idea of how commutes would be.)

Used to be a number of really nice complexes at Sunrise and Kolb, but I think a couple of them have gone condo.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 AM

4,923 posts, read 7,943,944 times
I second Rock Ridge. On the West side of Oracle, 1/4 mile south of the Fry's/Target/Shell/Baskin-Robbins/Petsmart/Office Max/etc., etc., shopping center and about 3 miles south of Oro Valley Market Place with Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Olive Garden, Red Lobster. There is so much right there, plus, like azhiker said, it's only about 10 minutes to Ina, and just a few more to Orange Grove. 15 minutes to River. On Oracle, between River and Tangerine, there is just about anything you can think of. Plus, there are two malls in that area, one to the east, Tucson Mall and one to the west, Foothills Mall. Oro Valley is safe with the exception of a couple of purse snatchings and a shoplifting incident. Other than that, coupled with beautiful views of the foothills and Catalina State Park right there, it's a great place to live!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. Starting with a short lease sounds like a good idea. Hopefully we will be able to find a nice place there

Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM

153 posts, read 492,222 times
not only the apartments suck in Tucson, but also the individual landlords.
Be very careful, and try to negotiate a 6 months lease.
Tucson rentals are extremely overpriced!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
not only the apartments suck in Tucson, but also the individual landlords.
Be very careful, and try to negotiate a 6 months lease.
Tucson rentals are extremely overpriced!
Thanks, I will try to see if I can get a 6month lease first. But, when I look at the prices online, I am actually pleasantly surprised ... a 3 bedroom is only half the price of what we are paying for a two bedroom on the east coast!

I do hope these prices are accurate and there are no hidden fees etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson