Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 AM

6 posts, read 71,583 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a job here in Tucson for about a year now, I'm a college student and a job would really come in handy at the moment, any part time job really. I've sent about 30 applications and what really pisses me off is that I don't even get a phone call or an interview, those applications take about 1 hour each and they are now done over the internet which I do not like at all, after that I don't even get an interview to prove I'm qualified, why do they announce positions available I wonder??? I guess the people who get hired are probably the ones who know managers or owners or something. Is there any secret to getting hired or even getting an interview, any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Umm...we are in a recession going into a depression my friend so you are not alone. I wish you the best of luck but it is almost impossible to get a job right now. A lot of companies are advertising open jobs when in fact they are just collecting resumes/applications as you are finding out.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
My son could have written the OP's post. He's probably filled out over 30 applications over the past three months for everything from Dollar Tree to the movie theater, Dick's, Target, Home Depot, and anything in between. Nothing. Nada. Nicht. Nein. Zilch. Zero. No call backs. Nothing when he goes back to check, and these are stores with Help Wanted signs on the window. He's so frustrated. He's bored stiff and spends his days pounding the pavements. Poor kid.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
In this age of electronic applications it is extremely hard to get that first face to face interview. In thr retail sector For any given job a company will receive hundreds of applications. These applications ger filtered through centralized HR departments, then the individaul store will receive a short list to interview. Many have an automated response system acknowledging that they received your application, and will " call you" if they need you. Many others send nothing. It's the electronic age. If all one is doing is sending out electronic applications your chances are slim. Bottom line finding a job is a contact sport. At whatever level one is at, entry level or experienced, networking is still the key. Talk to friends, family, go to the stores you like and get to know the people working there. The one company I used to work for, Bed Bath & Beyond, always did an "on the spot" interview when you took in your application, for Management and entry level. I believe they still do that, so go in dressed and prepped for an interview. Ask for a manager when you go in. I don't know if they are hiring or not but at least you get to talk to a real live person! They are a very succesfull and growing company. Bottom line though things are tough. With unemployment in the 9-10% range there is a lot of competition. You have people with a Masters degree taking jobs that doesn't even require a Bachelors degree. Good luck to those of you out there looking!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Hmm, I've been seeing quite a few signs for part-time employment in the stores lately... I'm not saying that was the case before, but I do see them in the past month or two. A new In-N-Out Burger is about to open. Quite a few Quick Trips opened or are about to open. Many other businesses of this nature are being built right now.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
I've seen signs in Eegee's windows advertising they are hiring starting at 11/hour. Thats pretty darn good for a sammich shop isn't it?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I've seen signs in Eegee's windows advertising they are hiring starting at 11/hour. Thats pretty darn good for a sammich shop isn't it?
Damn it and Tucson with the only place in the state with Eegee's

11 is damn good for a sandwich shop. It took me 8 months before I found the 9/hr job I have now. Im so much happier not stuck at home being broke all the time.

If you are throwing your resume out there on places like monster and careerbuilder I would highly recommend making your resume more "key word" friendly. Employers do the exact same thing you do when looking for a job. pc technician. All jobs with that phrase or two words will come up, pc or techncian maybe in two separate jobs, but you get the point.

Employers will search for things like "50 calls a day" "ticket software" "

specific items you may have used in your job. I wanted to say something hateful about HR departments, but I know it would get cut out.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Damn it and Tucson with the only place in the state with Eegee's

11 is damn good for a sandwich shop. It took me 8 months before I found the 9/hr job I have now. Im so much happier not stuck at home being broke all the time.

If you are throwing your resume out there on places like monster and careerbuilder I would highly recommend making your resume more "key word" friendly. Employers do the exact same thing you do when looking for a job. pc technician. All jobs with that phrase or two words will come up, pc or techncian maybe in two separate jobs, but you get the point.

Employers will search for things like "50 calls a day" "ticket software" "

specific items you may have used in your job. I wanted to say something hateful about HR departments, but I know it would get cut out.
Ha, actually I didn't know they were local because it's a sizeable chain. I also got curious because there aren't too many places of this nature paying living wages and found this very sweet local story. These guys are the kind of people who deserve their fortune!

Evolution of eegee's | Yum | Tucson Weekly

Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 71,583 times
Thanx everyone for your responses, I just got a call today for a job interview on Monday, keep your fingers crossed

Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avd88 View Post
Thanx everyone for your responses, I just got a call today for a job interview on Monday, keep your fingers crossed
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson