Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,413 times

Advertisements

this is probably a wierd thread, but can anyone tell me what neighborhoods poor whites live in in tucson? this is not a racist or classist post, just wondering cuz' i am from a 'white trash' background and wondering where people like me live in tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:36 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami_g View Post
this is probably a wierd thread, but can anyone tell me what neighborhoods poor whites live in in tucson? this is not a racist or classist post, just wondering cuz' i am from a 'white trash' background and wondering where people like me live in tucson.
Thanks to our wonderful leaders in Washington and the looks of our pitiful economy, Sami . . . we're all gonna be "White Trash" very soon.

! ! ! ! ! !

Unfortunately, answering your question is difficult to almost impossible without more specifics.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami_g View Post
Hmm... perhaps around Grant, Prince, Glenn, Ft. Lowell (West of Swan), around Roger, around Miracle Mile (dangerous! do not go there!)... I'm not particularly familiar with this area, but there are a lot of trailers and run-down houses around Flowing Wells. Another area that comes to mind is around Craycroft & 29th St. However, 29th St. is dangerous in this stretch and I wouldn't recommend it.

Perhaps some live in the Southern part of town which is predominantly Mexican, but the areas I mention are somewhat on the poor side and the population seems to be mostly Caucasian.

Hey, most of the middle class is poor these days...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
The interesting thing about Flowing Wells is, in spite of the preponderence of trailer parks and run-down looking real estate, it has an excellent school district. They have several teachers and administrators with national awards, top-notch math and science AP programs, they require the reading of actual classic literature, and support a plethora of extracurricular activities include drama and music programs that have been quickly disappearing from many richer school districts. The student body is diversified in an economic as well as racial way. I know several families who send their kids there and I've been really impressed with the education they're getting.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Hmm. My doctor is in the medical complex at Ft. Lowell and Swan. I didn't think of that area as particularly lower socio-economic. I guess I never paid attention to the neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Hmm. My doctor is in the medical complex at Ft. Lowell and Swan. I didn't think of that area as particularly lower socio-economic. I guess I never paid attention to the neighborhood.
What you didn't pay attention to is that I said "West of Swan"! And that's rough, of course. You can’t define it by a few feet West of Swan… I mean, it's not horrible or anything... just not all that good.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What you didn't pay attention to is that I said "West of Swan"! And that's rough, of course. You can’t define it by a few feet West of Swan… I mean, it's not horrible or anything... just not all that good.
I'm changing doctors..... Feet, blocks, ... Give an inch, take a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson