Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM

54 posts, read 305,634 times

Advertisements

The one big thing I think needed fixed?

yep, you guessed, FIX THE D*MNED ROADS IN DOWNTOWN!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,597 times
Yes Tulsa is dying. While our politicians and the Tulsa Elite build False Fronts, arena's, and pretty things with money from the taxpayers of Tulsa County, our infrastructure and the things we depend on from city government is pathetic.
There has been no new businesses of significance come to Tulsa in a long time. You may see someone post bull about Google but they are going to Pryor over 50 miles away. Only Tulsa would take credit for that.
Our roads are so bad we have had deaths due to wrecks created when people try to dodge potholes. These are potholes that break things. It's sad that a young woman lost her life because of the pitiful shape of our roads. The city cannot even mow the grass. They can fine you but can't get the grass mowed. So the wonderful Mayor goes on TV and begs for people to come out and help beautify the city for the PGA tournament. Our police force is a great force and nothing against them but they are understaffed and underfunded. Our illustrious Mayor has brought in an absolute Geek as our interim police chief while we had three qualified people on the force. She has created a situation breaking city ordinances which haved led to lawsuits. Can you say turmoil? What can be guaranteed by coming to Tulsa is a poor educational system, poor infrastructure (recent road ratings in Tulsa "D" and heading for F), understaffed police force, a city that is a sanctuary city for illegals and according to recent reports it will not be too long before illegals are the majority in Tulsa. They are helpng to drag our schools down as the bar has to be lowered.
Our lovely Mayor turns her back on doing anything against illegals and will not allow our police force to do what they need to do. Yes, we have had our fair share of illegals driving under the influence and killing people.
They cannot do anything anyway, they are understaffed. Our Mayor is the only Mayor in Oklahoma to join New York Mayor Bloombergs coalition against the second amendment. She does not believe in your second amendment rights. The worst of it all is everytime Tulsa wants something they know they cannot get enough revenue in Tulsa City limits so they have to go County Wide. They bribe Owasso, Broken Arrow, and Bixby with trinkets to get the politicians of those towns to go along with whatever Tulsa wants. So living in Tulsa County is not an option. They will get into your pocket no matter what. The property taxes are ridiculous. If anyone thinks of moving here make sure you stay out of Tulsa County. You think I'm making this stuff up. There are plenty of factual resources on the internet to back up what I'm saying. Oh, if you value your life and your families, stay south! Check out our record murder rates. We gotta be good at something.
Bottom line. The things you need in a city that politicians should provide we don't have. Our "INRASTRUCTURE" is pathetic.
Mayor Taylor are you listening. Come next election and I'm going to campaign for anyone that opposes you. I will invest my time and money. I will work hard to make sure you never hold another elected office in Oklahoma higher than a toll taker on the turnpike.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,742,435 times
Default Whatever.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavazzDemise View Post
Most of the Tulsa haters are yokels from Oklahoma City, and hate Tulsa just out of principal. "Manhattanite is probably from "The Village" or some other awful depressing place. And then there's my good friend Davazz.
I just found this post-

"Hate Tulsa out of principle"......NO- YOU hate OKC for its renaissance and MAJOR development and success....Great national exposure in so many many ways....The NBA....Maps projects passing everytime...great outsider recent reviews of the city....Major cities using OKC as a model for progression....Huge private investment in and out of state and so on and on...

You grossly attack The Village....A post WW2 community outside the wealthiest MOST influential community in Oklahoma....You attack some poster with a rep score of over a hundred who obviously never posts here....YOUR rep score proves the opposite. You post 10 times and recieve 3 points!!!!....FOR REPLIES THAT CONTAIN ALMOST NO INFORMATION!!!....Ya sure- okcitians are all over this forum giving you high marks for nothing....LOL...YOU SHOULD RECONSIDER THE YOKELS.

No wars here. Just remember- How Tulsa felt that the capitol of the state should be....of course Tulsa!! How so-called "COWTOWN" has been spit on for 70 YEARS!! Get with the times. Both towns are doing great or will be doing great- be happy for both. Humble yourself. Stop the SNOBBERY.

I hate threads like Tulsa dying and OKC not a city.....Tulsa is not dying and OKC is a city-LOL. Be happy for OKC's success and the tremendous future possiblities for Tulsa.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
So how much is the total sales tax in Tulsa and how much is it in Oklahoma City? If Oklahoma City is paying higher sales taxes than Tulsa, then that should clue you in why Oklahoma City is doing better than Tulsa.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:48 PM

66 posts, read 245,278 times
I think a lot of it is that people don't have the money anymore. The upper-crust people are in Dallas, so who's left to support the arts and the infrastructure while the regular folks are trying to just get by? That's why Bloomingdales and your uppity stores in Utica left...all the money people left.

Don't think we didn't put up a fuss down here in The City when it came time to fund the MAPS project with the temporary penny sales tax (which, incidentally, has become permanent). It was almost as bad as the Boston Big Dig project only without all the corruption. It's hard for the regular people to look toward the future when living for today is hard enough. We've got $300,000 townhomes in an area that used to be urban blight. Nobody makes enough to be able to buy them, but they're there...

Tulsa can do the same, if they want. Bricktown looks nice enough now, but it's had growing pains. Tulsa residents may have to be resigned to plant winter wheat; in other words, invest in something they may not live to benefit from. I would love to see a kind of "West End" district in Tulsa; I love T-town and always considered it more urbane than The City.

I think it's good to be positive, but not Pollyannish; it's good to point out negatives without being hopeless. I believe this is a more balanced view than just being a fanboy of either town.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM

21 posts, read 98,062 times
Um, it's Saks in Utica, and it's still there. No one left. Well, Dillards was kicked out, not upscale enough.

And the new $500,000 townhomes near downtown sell quite well here in Tulsa. And, Utica Place, the new 10 story condo building next to the square is also selling very well. Prices in the start at half a million. Utica Place is going to build a second tower soon and the first one isn't even done yet.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,299 times
Default Not Dying ... DEAD!

Actually Tulsa is not dying ... it is already. Happened a while ago - it was so bad no one noticed.

The real davaz

Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 PM

14 posts, read 49,257 times
I moved here in 1999 from the West Coast. I have lived in 4 other states before moving here. I have survived the Alaskan earthquake and the L.A. riots.

My Husband and I plan to move this spring. We are artists and unless you like beige and white, or have a Thomas Kincaid, Tulsa is DEAD for art. All the homes I work in are a combination of Mathis Brothers meets Hobby Lobby. No one enjoys their homes. They keep them boring stricktly for the resale value. Tulsa is ONLY about the money.

I have watched the violence here. A couple of years ago we had a shooting in our building where we own our condo. The night it happened I was yelled at for calling the Police. I was told it was "no big deal". I do not feel safe here.

Also a couple of years ago I was shopping at Gordmans on 21st across from Big Splash. I walked over to Sears just in time for a get away car to come speeding up to the curb and 3 big african american girls running out of the store with huge armloads of clothing. They drove off with the license plates covered. I waited around for about an hour in the store. I asked the security guard if they needed my statement and was told to forget about it. There were only about 3 people in the store and no one ever called the Police.

We live in a very good area - near Utica Square, but still, our car was broken into. What they took was disposable cameras that had been used to take photos of a church that we had restored.

I can't remember how long ago it was but it seems it was earlier this year when every available Police Officer was summoned to an apartment building in north Tulsa when a fugitive was held up there. A mob started to form and I cannot believe it didn't erupt into a riot. After going through the LA riots I can say from experience, Tulsa, WAKE UP! There are so many angry lazy people here that think they are owed something for nothing. As fast as this population is growing there is no way the Tulsa Police Force will be able to handle them. It is just a matter of time, in my opinion, until Tulsa will have a riot.

I am also tired of well off people trying to get work done in their homes for little or no cost. I am especially tired of them trying to use the "Jesus Coupon". Anytime I hear "Praise Jesus" when I am quoting a job, I know I am in for a big problem at the end of the job when I need to collect the check. I am completely disappointed in Tulsa and will be leaving this spring.

We have also been robbed by Doctors, Veteranarians, Dentists, among several other "professional" people. I expected this kind of behavior in areas such as L.A. but the way Tulsa portrays itself as a wholesome God fearing community is just one of the many lies that I have heard since I have moved here 8 years ago. I have kept my mouth shut for 8 years, taken incredible abuse from the majority of people I have come into contact here. I had a heart attack earlier this year and just want to leave.

So, your probably thinking...If you hate it here so much why don't you move? I would love to. We have been robbed on just about every job and every level we have dealt with here. Unless someone wants to pony up the money for us to leave, then I am FINALLY letting everyone know how bad Tulsa has treated us. We will be leaving this spring, and except for the day my Son was born, and I was married, that will be the happiest day of my life.

I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feelings but these statements are based on my personal experiences. These are very real to me and I cannot wait to leave.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM

41 posts, read 180,048 times
What? The condos in DT OKC have done really well! People can too afford them. Just look at the Centennial on the Canal. Starts at 305,000 and they all sold out b4 it was even done. Block 42? Park Harvey, The Central Avenue Villas, the Brownstones, even that ugly Legace at Arts Quarter has done extremely well. I think the only one that might have trouble is The Hill. But its still a long way off so i dunno.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,019,133 times
Dang I had wanted to move there too OKC pretty nice too tho. Is it good for bicycling on either area>?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa