Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,976 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,
Me and my mother have wanting a nice change of scenery from SA and Tulsa is a place we might be considering! So we would to know a few things first!

OK, what is the winter season like up in Tulsa?

This really scares me a bit, I'm not so use to black ice (frozen ice on the road) and snow, I'm not from Texas, but where I'm from all we ever got was a little snowy slush that wouldn't ever stick and when we did, it was small flurries that wouldn't last long, the only experiences I have with real snow was when I was in Huntsville,Alabama and we got snowed in and that was really frightning because of the rolling hills and all the roads have inclines there and I was a bit afraid of wrecking back then, my uncle told me the winters are a bit harsh in OK, so I would like to know from locals.

So how bad are the storms and weather in general? (tornadoes, hail,ect.)

Just curious, I've heard some scary tales about the storms in OK so how bad are they in Tulsa? I have been in tornado allies before, but it was never in long spurts at a time, I've never seen a real tornado before, only the damage and it has been some real destruction that have seen.

I'm pretty use to some killer heat and humidity, up to 110.

How is the economy in tulsa? (job market,ect.)

Are jobs in Tulsa hard to get? All things will be lined up before we go, but I would like to know ahead of time, what is the main jobs available? Is it mostly jobs that require degrees or is there regular jobs like retail,ect. I'm about to go to college next year and I'll need a job.

Soon to be college student, so no degrees here and no restaurant or fast food jobs because I'm vegan and you know the whole cooking meat thing or serving it makes me ill and it goes against my beliefs, so anything else should be ok.

What are good places to look to live in the city? (areas,pricing,ect.)

What are the good sections? We would like a safe area more than anything and what is the average pricing there for rentals? We would be looking for a house.

How do you like Tulsa in general as far as a city? (grocery stores, malls,downtown,ect.)

Just the pros and cons of a the city in general....

If there is anything else you'd like tell us would only help! I'm new to City-Data so I hope I wrote and submitted this right!

THANK-YOU!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,381 times
hello everyone,
Me and my mother have wanting a nice change of scenery from SA and Tulsa is a place we might be considering! So we would to know a few things first!

This really scares me a bit, I'm not so use to black ice (frozen ice on the road) and snow, I'm not from Texas, but where I'm from all we ever got was a little snowy slush that wouldn't ever stick and when we did, it was small flurries that wouldn't last long, the only experiences I have with real snow was when I was in Huntsville,Alabama and we got snowed in and that was really frightning because of the rolling hills and all the roads have inclines there and I was a bit afraid of wrecking back then, my uncle told me the winters are a bit harsh in OK, so I would like to know from locals.

Winters tend to be fairly mild here. Not as warm as SA though. You can look up our averages on Weather.com. We do get black ice but not often. Because of where Tulsa is positioned, freezing rain and sleet tend to happen more often than actual snow. We only get snow maybe 3 or 4 times per winter and most of the time it's not enough to do much. We do typically have one "major" snow storm per winter that will dump around 6 inches of snow. Those type of events are rare but are enough to call off school for a couple of days.

So how bad are the storms and weather in general? (tornadoes, hail,ect.)

Just curious, I've heard some scary tales about the storms in OK so how bad are they in Tulsa? I have been in tornado allies before, but it was never in long spurts at a time, I've never seen a real tornado before, only the damage and it has been some real destruction that have seen.

I'm pretty use to some killer heat and humidity, up to 110.

I've never "seen" a real tornado before, but the house I grew up in got hit twice. After the second time, Dad said it was time to move. That was in Skiatook which seems to have an affinity for tornados. There are certain areas of the State that are more prone to severe storms, but we have excellent weather coverage around here. If there is even the slightest chance of a dangerous weather event, the local news stations will run continuous weather coverage for hours until the danger has passed. Severe weather can be pretty fun as long as you're not stupid about it. Some of the best times we have as a family is sitting out on the front porch and watching a storm roll in. It's refreshing.

Are jobs in Tulsa hard to get? All things will be lined up before we go, but I would like to know ahead of time, what is the main jobs available? Is it mostly jobs that require degrees or is there regular jobs like retail,ect. I'm about to go to college next year and I'll need a job.

Soon to be college student, so no degrees here and no restaurant or fast food jobs because I'm vegan and you know the whole cooking meat thing or serving it makes me ill and it goes against my beliefs, so anything else should be ok.

If you are not skilled or have a degree of some sort, fast food is going to be just about your only option unless you get very extremely lucky. I guess there's always the call centers. I don't know about this one for sure, but my undereducated, unskilled students have a hard time finding jobs.

What are the good sections? We would like a safe area more than anything and what is the average pricing there for rentals? We would be looking for a house.

I wouldn't live in Tulsa proper- although a lot of people love it. Crime seems to be a growing problem in the city, so I don't want to raise my kids there. The suburbs are safer, but are very extremely Conservative, Christian, Fundamentalist, which is great if you're Baptist.

How do you like Tulsa in general as far as a city? (grocery stores, malls,downtown,ect.)

Just the pros and cons of a the city in general....

Personally, I avoid Tulsa at all costs. There are much safer places to shop and conduct business.

If there is anything else you'd like tell us would only help! I'm new to City-Data so I hope I wrote and submitted this right!

THANK-YOU!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,590 times
Default Not Plastic Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ❥ Eivva View Post

Snow does occur in Tulsa and it is often wet and heavy. The problem with OK is that they don't plow the roads. If they plowed the interstate and/or major arterials, driving conditions would be a little akin to heavy rain with standing water on the highway. OK does a poor job of road maintenance and the only reason Tulsa has it's highways under repair is due to the stimulus bill.

[/i]So how bad are the storms and weather in general? (tornadoes, hail,ect.)

Downtown Tulsa has not had a tornado in recorded history (FYI, this is any location inside the Interdispersal Loop (IDL)). Other parts of the city have had tornadoes and floods in the past. Thunderstorms are very loud, or at least they were this summer. Tulsa does get hail so keep that in mind during storm season.

Jobs appear to be in the normal US average (~9% unemployment). For unskilled workers, wages are always an issue. To be honest, if you don't like fast food, you could look into doing temp agency work (surprisingly varied) or the usual pet/babysitting or lawn maintenance.

Being a Vegan will make you a social weirdo here in Tulsa and in OK in general. OK is dead LAST in eating fruits and vegetables. If it doesn't moo, cluck, oink or is capable of being fried, it obviously is part of a commie-terrorist plot to take over the world (sarcasm). Seriously, most people here appear to select a potato or corn as the only veggies they eat. The poor tasteless tomato on a hamburger is tossed aside but they double up the mayo.

Generally, if you stay south of Admiral (I-244), you will be safer than north of Admiral. I hate to say that but a lot of crime occurs in North Tulsa and by Southern Hills GC in the Section 8 area. Most houses are available in the $1k-1.5k /mo. range. If you can get by with a 2bd/2bth apartment, those can be had for less obviously (~700/mo the last I shopped it).

Unlike Mileka from Owasso, I there are a lot of positive things for Tulsa. I moved here from Colorado Springs and the crime is lower, Tulsa proper is attracting more younger people, and the city is investing in Downtown which differentiates it from OKC by quite a bit (topography, transport links). There is a growing music scene here with independent bands and concerts routinely outdraw sports events at the BOK Center. I live downtown so the big disadvantage is the nearest grocery store is about 2 miles away. People from the 'burbs that are negative about the City of Tulsa are usually that way because the only time they come is for a baseball game, the malls (all malls are in the City of Tulsa) or during rush hour. If I had to drive in crappy traffic all the time to get where I was going, I'd be whiny too.

[/u] [/b][/i]
I like running in Riverside Park. It has a running trail from Downtown Tulsa going south about 15 miles or so. They improve it every year with profits from Oktoberfest. Yes, it is very similar to the ones in Germany complete with several drinking tents, entertainment, carnival rides and leiderhosen. If you like Arena Football, Tulsa has the only top tier Arena Football team in the state. There is also minor league baseball, hockey, men's basketball, WNBA and two Division I universities (TU and ORU).

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,448 times
I would say that since about 2000, for some reason the winters in Tulsa have involved quite a bit of snow and ice. Several years we have had either major snowfalls, or snow and ice in combination that stayed on the ground for several weeks. That said, I don't know why it would be a big deal. I would take a few weeks of winter weather over the 105+ degree summers that you get in San Antonio.

I have seen 2 tornados, one up close that was very small, and one from a mile away that was very large. Very exciting both times. Not anything to worry about (until the sirens go off, then you better start making plans!)

The city of Tulsa is actually pretty safe. The crime data is very skewed by areas in north Tulsa and a few parts of east Tulsa. You can live your life in Tulsa and experience very little crime yourself.

If you have enough money, midtown Tulsa is nice, and has more character than the suburbs. But, to each his own.

Jobs, probably no better or worse than San Antonio. I would recommend doing something entrepreneurial. What have you got to lose? You will make at least as much as you would working for the man. You can make more money doing some service for homeowners. Go knock on some doors. God help us if we are depending on the malls or call centers for our well-being.

I like Tulsa, and I have lived in several large and small cities. I would prefer Tulsa over DFW or San Antonio.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,448 times
Update: regarding jobs, this: Tulsa among best cities for jobs this winter accoring to Forbes

and

The Best Cities For Jobs This Winter - Forbes.com

Turns out that Tulsa's job market is about the best in the US.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Baker Hughes announces 600+ jobs coming to Tulsa area over the next several years.

Baker Hughes adding 600+ area jobs | Tulsa World
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa