U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,298 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I and our two young children are considering moving to Tulsa within a few months. I've read a lot of threads on Tulsa and I've tried to do m own research, but I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say.
Here are my questions:

What is the average lowest rent for the better quality apartments (by "better quality" I mean, size, up-keep, management, crime in the area, etc.)?

Where would you suggest a small, younger family should move (we are quiet, religious people without racial prejudice, and we aren't the wealthiest)?

I've heard a lot about "North Tulsa" (I put it in quotations, as it seems the name itself makes people seize up in fear, but many stories about it don't line up with others), good and bad. I'd like several perspectives on it, if possible, please.

We live in a rural Ohio area right now (one of the poorest in Ohio actually) and I am wondering, how is the life in Tulsa?
Decent shopping (we don't do a lot of it, but quality for decent prices are important)?
Decent public transportation?
Interesting places to see and take children?
Relative safety (how safe can you really get nowadays? I just mean, there aren't stick-ups often or assault/rape?)?
Is there really as much racial tension as people say (I am white, but I have friends of many different ethnicities)?
How are taxes, bills and other money matters?
Are you just as skint in jobs as Ohio?

We're looking at apartments right now, but we are from a more "country" area right now, and might want to buy some land/land with house. How are apartments prices vs. house monthly payments?

Excuse if my questions seem over-asked or impolite. I understand all cities have their pros and cons, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible, with as much information as possible if I'm going to move my family there. Thank you in advance for any insight you might have.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM

926 posts, read 1,518,491 times
Quote:
What is the average lowest rent for the better quality apartments (by "better quality" I mean, size, up-keep, management, crime in the area, etc.)?
Rent is pretty cheap in Tulsa compared to larger cities, probably not as cheap as in rural Ohio. 700-800 is probably a decent amount to pay for a decent apartment. You certainly can pay just as much as you want to going higher than that.

Quote:
Where would you suggest a small, younger family should move (we are quiet, religious people without racial prejudice, and we aren't the wealthiest)?
Tulsa is very religious, especially in the areas near ORU and Rhema in Broken Arrow, I would check apartments and houses in those areas. Oral Roberts University is at 81st and Lewis in South Tulsa and Rhema is a bible college in Broken Arrow on 71st Street. I would look near those schools. The area around ORU is going to be more racially diverse than Broken Arrow, for example the apartment complexes in the area have a good deal of Asians and Hispanics living in them. Broken Arrow is a large (100k plus people) and very white suburb.

Quote:
I've heard a lot about "North Tulsa" (I put it in quotations, as it seems the name itself makes people seize up in fear, but many stories about it don't line up with others), good and bad. I'd like several perspectives on it, if possible, please.
Northern Tulsa is a large area and is not as bad (most of it) as what people would tell you. First off, I would say avoid any and all apartments in North Tulsa, if there are issues in this area, it’s with the apartment complexes, most of which are public housing of one sort or another. Northeast Tulsa is where the airport is, the area is very heavily industrial and there are few neighborhoods. The places to live in this area are run down and cheap, but must mostly safe. North central Tulsa just north of downtown is a racially diverse (with a growing gay population) area that has some crime issues but is cheap with some really great old houses. This is an emerging part of Tulsa that is being restored bit by bit. There is one pocket here that is really nice, Reservoir Hill, but it’s pretty expensive. Northwest Tulsa is also known as Gilcrease Hills and is a mostly nice area with some parts of it being very nice. It’s racially diverse as well. It’s main downside is it proximity to North Tulsa, the area north of Pine between say Cincinnati and Lewis going north to Turley. This area is the ‘hood and is the reason for the bad image of Northern Tulsa overall and should be avoided. It’s the center of gangland for Tulsa and is where a good deal of the crime in Tulsa happens or comes from.

Quote:
We live in a rural Ohio area right now (one of the poorest in Ohio actually) and I am wondering, how is the life in Tulsa?
Decent shopping (we don't do a lot of it, but quality for decent prices are important)?
Relative safety (how safe can you really get nowadays? I just mean, there aren't stick-ups often or assault/rape?)?
Is there really as much racial tension as people say (I am white, but I have friends of many different ethnicities)?
Tulsa has shopping of all kinds and at all prices, I don’t think there will be any issues there, and this is a very kid friendly town with lots to do for kids. Public transportation is a joke here and is more for show than for use. Don’t count on it, you need a car in Tulsa, end of story. Tulsa has a much worse reputation for crime than is the reality. Outside of a few areas, one being the part of North Tulsa I described, the 61st and Peoria area and parts of far East Tulsa, Tulsa is a very safe city. There is very little racial tension in Tulsa at all, it’s really not an issue. This isn’t the South. And Tulsa overall is a pretty cheap city to live in. Utilities are going to be cheap compared to Ohio, food is about average, housing is cheap, fuel is cheap. Taxes are pretty low, but be aware that there is sales tax here on food, that can be a surprise to new residents.

Quote:
Sorry, I don’t know what that means. There certainly are jobs available here, it depends on what you do. The economy here is far from being great but it’s probably about the best there is anywhere.

Quote:
We're looking at apartments right now, but we are from a more "country" area right now, and might want to buy some land/land with house. How are apartments prices vs. house monthly payments?
Rentals here are not much cheaper than house payments. Buying here is very doable compared to other areas and there are lots of rural areas near Tulsa with easy commutes into the city. Tulsa did not have a real estate implosion like most of the country, in fact we are still building new neighborhoods and homes.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 AM

5,483 posts, read 8,264,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Rent is pretty cheap in Tulsa compared to larger cities, probably not as cheap as in rural Ohio. 700-800 is probably a decent amount to pay for a decent apartment. You certainly can pay just as much as you want to going higher than that.

Tulsa is very religious, especially in the areas near ORU and Rhema in Broken Arrow, I would check apartments and houses in those areas. Oral Roberts University is at 81st and Lewis in South Tulsa and Rhema is a bible college in Broken Arrow on 71st Street. I would look near those schools. The area around ORU is going to be more racially diverse than Broken Arrow, for example the apartment complexes in the area have a good deal of Asians and Hispanics living in them. Broken Arrow is a large (100k plus people) and very white suburb.

Northern Tulsa is a large area and is not as bad (most of it) as what people would tell you. First off, I would say avoid any and all apartments in North Tulsa, if there are issues in this area, it’s with the apartment complexes, most of which are public housing of one sort or another. Northeast Tulsa is where the airport is, the area is very heavily industrial and there are few neighborhoods. The places to live in this area are run down and cheap, but must mostly safe. North central Tulsa just north of downtown is a racially diverse (with a growing gay population) area that has some crime issues but is cheap with some really great old houses. This is an emerging part of Tulsa that is being restored bit by bit. There is one pocket here that is really nice, Reservoir Hill, but it’s pretty expensive. Northwest Tulsa is also known as Gilcrease Hills and is a mostly nice area with some parts of it being very nice. It’s racially diverse as well. It’s main downside is it proximity to North Tulsa, the area north of Pine between say Cincinnati and Lewis going north to Turley. This area is the ‘hood and is the reason for the bad image of Northern Tulsa overall and should be avoided. It’s the center of gangland for Tulsa and is where a good deal of the crime in Tulsa happens or comes from.

Tulsa has shopping of all kinds and at all prices, I don’t think there will be any issues there, and this is a very kid friendly town with lots to do for kids. Public transportation is a joke here and is more for show than for use. Don’t count on it, you need a car in Tulsa, end of story. Tulsa has a much worse reputation for crime than is the reality. Outside of a few areas, one being the part of North Tulsa I described, the 61st and Peoria area and parts of far East Tulsa, Tulsa is a very safe city. There is very little racial tension in Tulsa at all, it’s really not an issue. This isn’t the South. And Tulsa overall is a pretty cheap city to live in. Utilities are going to be cheap compared to Ohio, food is about average, housing is cheap, fuel is cheap. Taxes are pretty low, but be aware that there is sales tax here on food, that can be a surprise to new residents.

Sorry, I don’t know what that means. There certainly are jobs available here, it depends on what you do. The economy here is far from being great but it’s probably about the best there is anywhere.

Rentals here are not much cheaper than house payments. Buying here is very doable compared to other areas and there are lots of rural areas near Tulsa with easy commutes into the city. Tulsa did not have a real estate implosion like most of the country, in fact we are still building new neighborhoods and homes.

Hope that helps.
>>>>>
There is very little racial tension in Tulsa at all, it’s really not an issue. This isn’t the South.
<<<<<

Swake is right about the racial tension in Tulsa.

Tulsa is not like some Southeastern states that may (I emphasize "may" because from my personal experience I think the issue is exaggerated somewhat) still struggle with this....Tulsa is Southern-lite = Southern qualities mixed in with the Native American and Western heritage. This gives Tulsa (and all of Oklahoma for that matter) a very unique culture. Tulsa and most Oklahomans are quite open to befriending and interacting with different races.

I personally dated out of my race several times (a long long time ago in the dark ages, LOL)...Native Americans, African-Americans, a beautiful little Latina, etc....and it was never frowned upon.

*Caveat* (There may be a few that come on here and share a totally different experience. I'm just sharing mine.)

Blessings to you and your family as you make the move. I would advise finding a church that is the right fit for you and your family as soon as possible. There are a multitude of great Bible-believing Christ-centered churches in the Tulsa area. Tulsa is smack-dab in the middle of the Bible-Belt....the so-called "Buckle" of the Bible Belt along with Nashville.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Thank you both for your replies. They are truly helpful! Your words make me feel more at peace with the move and give me a lot of hope for a good future.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM

52 posts, read 148,888 times
Hi,

I'll try to add something hopefully useful to other contributors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinecupcake View Post
For a family of four, you need a 2 br apt. at minimum. It starts from around $500, but avoid low end apartments, you will probably not like them. I agree that $700-800 will move you to a reasonable apartment. If you want a really good apartment, it is about $900-1100. Surprisingly, in last few years we saw some rent increases, so think about getting a house instead of renting.

Quote:
Following a previous comment suggestion to look at the ORU area, I would like to advise you to be VERY careful about that area. There are OK apartments there, but there are really bad as well. Also, avoid most of Riverside area apartments. It would be absolutely safe to advise you to look at apartments south of 71st street and at least a few blocks away from the river. Like 81st street and rt-169. But those are quite expensive.

Quote:
It is not Detroit's downtown at night, but you will probably like to avoid most parts of it if you can. There are good areas in mid-town, but some of those can be expensive and I do not know good apartments there.

Quote:
Tulsa has a very serious gap between poorest and richest, the middle class is considerably smaller than in many other comparable areas. I was in Akron, OH and Tulsa is better (MUCH better).

Quote:
WholeFoods, Saks 5th Avenue. I think these two are the only stores in Oklahoma.
No Trader Joe's, no Costco
Tulsa is pretty much a Walmart land + some nice Target stores.
There is a good mall area at 71st and Mingo. I know people come here from Arkansas for shopping.

Quote:
Too bad, there is no even remotely good public transportation in Tulsa.

Quote:
The lack of children's places in Tulsa is very bad. We usually drive to St. Louise. Their City Museum is iMazing!

Quote:
Actually safety situation in Tulsa is not good. But I feel relatively safe (in the southern part of the city).

Quote:
Historically, Tulsa is a place of infamous Tulsa race riot. Generally, Euro-Americans live south, Afro-Americans live north. There are some smaller racially segregated Euro-American communities in the northern part and Afro-American communities in the south. No new riots ... yet. I would say no tensions, but segregation is widespread as everywhere else in the US. On a bright side, Oklahoma is a leader of inter-racial marriages.

BTW, "white" is not ethnicity.

Quote:
Taxes are maybe a bit higher than on average. Property taxes are average. Sales taxes are HUGE compared to most states.

Quote:
Ohio job market is riding crazy compared to Tulsa. It is quiet and so-so here. At the present state of the job market it is OK down here. But again, it all depends on job.

Quote:
An average mortgage in Tulsa is about the same as an average good quality apartment. The only difference is that apartments are typically 2-3 times smaller than houses.

Actually, if you are used to more country-like areas, look at Owasso area (a not bad northern suburb of Tulsa); there are also apartments in Owasso.
Broken Arrow (south) is another not bad area to look at. Jenks is not bad, and again south Tulsa is good. If you got a million to spend on a house, then in Tulsa you can easily feel really poor, there are quite a few houses in the range above 5 million dollars in the mid-town.

If you know you will stay and work in Tulsa for 5+ years and you can get a mortgage, DO IT. For under 200K you can get a REALLY good house (even a new one if you like), and for ~120K you can get a normal house in a safe neighborhood that will cost you some $1000 a month with insurances and taxes.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM

431 posts, read 1,133,632 times
Midtown is the heart of the city, and you might look at some of the neighborhoods in that area. The plus for midtown is you are within minutes of downtown and can access all other areas of the city very easily via the BA expressway, Hwy 75, I-44 or Riverside. Midtown is loosely defined by the 'loop' created by I-44/I-244 west of the river. The best shopping is in midtown at Utica Square, and there are tons of local restaurants and shops in the neighborhood districts of Brookside and Cherry Street.

Not too many apartments in midtown but you can find some near the river by Brookside (Tulsa's most vibrant retail/dining/nightlife district) and also just south of downtown in Riverview including several high rise apartment towers. Many are close to the river trails which is a big plus because those are really nice and huge Tulsa asset.

Whole Foods and Reasors are two good grocery stores in midtown. It's a pretty safe area that gets rougher as you head north toward I-244 and east toward Hwy 169. Schools are decent in some parts and not as good in others; Eliot in Brookside is one of the best TPS elem. schools and Booker T Washington in north Tulsa is the best high school, along with Edison which is the primary midtown middle/high school.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks again for the information, everybody.

@ happywacko Please excuse me. I know "white" isn't an ethnicity, and I don't normally refer to myself as "white". I was simply trying to point out that I'm Caucasian and I enjoy friendships with people who are not Caucasian. Perhaps I should have worded it better.

Also, I have a final question. It's actually not exactly about Tulsa. But, if we were to decide that we wanted a quieter, more "country" setting and perhaps a small amount of land and a small commute to Tulsa for work, what community or area nearby would you suggest? Thanks again for any answers!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM

431 posts, read 1,133,632 times
Quote:

@ happywacko Please excuse me. I know "white" isn't an ethnicity, and I don't normally refer to myself as "white". I was simply trying to point out that I'm Caucasian and I enjoy friendships with people who are not Caucasian. Perhaps I should have worded it better.

Also, I have a final question. It's actually not exactly about Tulsa. But, if we were to decide that we wanted a quieter, more "country" setting and perhaps a small amount of land and a small commute to Tulsa for work, what community or area nearby would you suggest? Thanks again for any answers!
What type of country setting? Hills and trees, or more open ranch/farmland? The areas just west of Tulsa offer more hills and trees while communities to the north, east and south are more ranch and farm land. As you go further east you get out of the Arkansas and Verdigris river valleys and into the Ozarks where you can get property with taller hills and trees, but are then about an hour from Tulsa proper. Land in Osage County, near Skiatook, is the most scenic area closest to Tulsa. Lots of forests, hills and beautiful Lake Skiatook very close to the city (downtown Tulsa and Owasso only 20 min. from the lake area).

Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM

265 posts, read 830,372 times
Broken Arrow is a great community with quite a few apartments, especially new ones that have been built in the last 2-3 years. BA is one of the safest communities in Oklahoma and is filled with friendly residents. The transportation network is great and allows you to get all around the Tulsa metro area in a half an hour or less.

There are also many areas of Broken Arrow where you can have a little bit of land along with your house and be near the city.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 AM

52 posts, read 148,888 times
Quote:

Hi,

It's not a problem at all. It is just important to understand if we are talking about Euro/Afro-american relationships or about ethnic diversity. The first one is ok in Tulsa, the second one is not very good.

Quote:

As I said before, Owasso is the way to go.
Broken Arrow is fine, but it depends on how much of a country style you want to have. Further south and west, I would suggest to look at Bixby, Glenpool, and actually Jenks. I am not sure about Sapulpa, but some areas at Jenks/Sapulpa border seem pretty attractive (I have actually considered that area, but it was too much country style for me).

In general, I strongly recommend to use such tools as Trulia and Zillow + Google Street View to get some idea of what the areas look like. And, by the way, don't be too much concerned that Tulsa area looks ugly on Street View; I think there were the ugliest possible days chosen to take those images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa