Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM

11 posts, read 40,278 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a position at SJMC and now have to find an area to live. I would prefer to live in that vicinity. I am unfamiliar with Uptown and Midtown, though I wanted insight into the population. My fiance and I are both young professionals with no children....that being said, we do not want an area with children (because we work at night/sleep during the day)or an area that is saturated with partying. Any recommendations?

I also wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on the these rentals:

Harvard Terrace
Wimbleden Place
Westport on the River
Renaissance Uptown
Tribune Lofts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
If you want to be within walking distance of St John you might look at the apartment buildings in the neighborhood to the west, roughly in between 15th & 18th, Peoria and Utica. This is a great neighborhood right by Cherry Street, Swan Lake and Utica Square. They are older buildings but many have been renovated.

Of the aforementioned apartment complexes, two are downtown, Renaissance and Tribune Lofts, and Westport is by the river. Tribune is in the Brady District and near lots of restaurants and bars downtown. They are currently expanding it by building a new tower and adding a parking garage and swimming pool. Renaissance is in the south end of downtown and would be closer to St John, but there currently isn't much around these apartments. Westport is older but is right on the river trail and many units have great views of the water and skyline. It's more disconnected though as it is on the west bank and not near any of the downtown or midtown restaurants. Harvard Terrace at I-44 & Harvard and Wimbleden Place near 51st & Memorial are a lot further and probably not the best options. You might look at Lincoln Park at 18th & Riverside. It's newer, has underground parking, a pool and is in a nice neighborhood by the river about a mile from St. John. Also University Club Tower a highrise apartment building in the same area.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM

24 posts, read 72,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrinealineRN View Post
I've accepted a position at SJMC and now have to find an area to live. I would prefer to live in that vicinity. I am unfamiliar with Uptown and Midtown, though I wanted insight into the population. My fiance and I are both young professionals with no children....that being said, we do not want an area with children (because we work at night/sleep during the day)or an area that is saturated with partying. Any recommendations?

I also wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on the these rentals:

Harvard Terrace
Wimbleden Place
Westport on the River
Renaissance Uptown
Tribune Lofts

Wimbledon Place may or may not be a decent place but the "westminster apartments" next to them always have some drama going on. I know because I live here. Thats my 2 cents.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 12,666 times
I'd like to recommend Melk Lofts and Treo One Lofts--I'm biased of course, since they're my development, but they are fabulously designed for young professionals, with modern finishes. The buildings are small and the residents are civil.

We've got eco-conscious, luxury units, downtown skyline views, custom wood cabinets & solid slab counters, stainless steel appliances & smart wiring.

kevin stephens design group | urban design, site planning, landscape architecture, interior design

Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstephens View Post
I'd like to recommend Melk Lofts and Treo One Lofts--I'm biased of course, since they're my development, but they are fabulously designed for young professionals, with modern finishes. The buildings are small and the residents are civil.

We've got eco-conscious, luxury units, downtown skyline views, custom wood cabinets & solid slab counters, stainless steel appliances & smart wiring.

kevin stephens design group | urban design, site planning, landscape architecture, interior design

Are those in the Cherry Street area? The neighborhood between 14th & 15th, Peoria and Utica has the most new construction, contemporary infill development in the city. Lots of condos, lofts and apartments in that area which is on a hill so there are great views of downtown and right next to the shops and restaurants along 15th (Cherry Street).

Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 PM

28 posts, read 90,816 times
westport is a good place but, it's also by the projects, so i've always been iffy about the place but it's also outside of downtown, i'd honestly would consider cherry street, perfect in your vicinity and if it snows (or blizzards in this case) you'll be walking distance if you don't feel like taking a room at sjmc when weather like this happens.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 40,278 times
Hmmmmm! Very helpful information.

I was looking at University Club before. They don't really have much of a website, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be a good move? I have heard that there is hail in OK, and was wondering (pardon my ignorance) if the windows would be safe in such a high rise....also, everyone is telling me about tornados and paranoia is starting to sink in. Would it be a prudent choice to live, say, on the 3rd floor compared to the 16th?

I have looked at Cherry st apartments and a lot are lofts. We aren't looking to buy though, and we want a 1 bedroom. Most of the rentals I see are 2 bedrooms. Does anyone know of others?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM

620 posts, read 1,751,516 times
Quote:

I have heard that there is hail in OK, and was wondering (pardon my ignorance) if the windows would be safe in such a high rise....also, everyone is telling me about tornados and paranoia is starting to sink in. Would it be a prudent choice to live, say, on the 3rd floor compared to the 16th?
Due to the high incidence of horrendous winds and large hail, the owners of high-rise office and apartment buildings in Tulsa are required to carry insurance that would cover tenants' in the event that a hailstorm should smash in windows or a tornado should suck windows out of their frames entirely or, as rarely happens, a few of the higher floors are dislodged and hurled to the streets below. Nothing to worry about......you're covered.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I was looking at University Club before. They don't really have much of a website, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be a good move? I have heard that there is hail in OK, and was wondering (pardon my ignorance) if the windows would be safe in such a high rise....also, everyone is telling me about tornados and paranoia is starting to sink in. Would it be a prudent choice to live, say, on the 3rd floor compared to the 16th?

I have looked at Cherry st apartments and a lot are lofts. We aren't looking to buy though, and we want a 1 bedroom. Most of the rentals I see are 2 bedrooms. Does anyone know of others?
I know someone that lives at University Club on the 28th floor. He has an amazing view of downtown and the river valley. It's an older tower (built in the 60's) but most of it has been redone and it's a good deal for a highrise apartment so close to downtown. You are also right next to the river trails and the Riverview neighborhood is a nice area about a mile from St. John. I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. Yes they do happen occasionally in the rural areas during spring, especially in the western and central parts of the state, but are pretty rare in Tulsa. There is a parking garage so you don't have to worry about hail damage.

If you are still interested in the Cherry Street area, the best way to find rentals is to walk or drive through the neighborhood and call the number on the signs. Since there are so many small apt. buildings and most are independently owned/managed they don't websites like the bigger complexes. Most are located north of 18th and south of 16th between Peoria and Utica.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,269 times
Avoid the Galleria Apartments in Tulsa. It is in a good area, but OLD, and going down hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: