Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM

14 posts, read 119,134 times

Advertisements

Please be sure and check out Bixby Schools also, wonderful area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,092 times
Default Jenks!

Jenks by farrr. Just look at the facilities!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 45,129 times
Hi!
I live in Broken Arrow. I have a 6 and 9 year old in school here. Student teacher ratio is about 17-19 kids per classroom. My best friend lives in Bixby and she has about the same ratio. My cousin lives in Collinsville and theirs is also about the same. I would recommend any of these school districts for the best programs. Jenks is the fastest growing city right now. I don't have any friends with kids in their school district, but I have only heard great things about them as well. Good Luck on your move

Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 PM

17 posts, read 66,640 times
Okay, Okay. There are only a few public schools in the Tulsa area that I would suggest. Jenks and Union are far and away the best schools. Academically and athletically, there are no comparisons. Jenks has the highest ACT scores in the state for public schools and has averaged 10 State Championships in sports per year over the last 15 years. That is sheer domination. Union has slightly better facilities, especially with the newly built "UMAC," which is a perfoming arts center and athletic center that is of the size and quality of a mid-sized university! The Union district is also near good shopping in the Woodland Hills Mall area. The Jenks School District stretches from the western portions of rural Jenks to Memorial and 111st. It Then stretches to 66th and Harvard at mid-town. Having gone to Jenks for my entire life, I would suggest it, especially if your kids are good achievers and they like a bit of a challenge and competition. There is no lack of that at Jenks. It has always been my impression that Union kids are a little more lax and that Broken Arrow kids are especially. This is evidenced in the fact that while Broken Arrow is the largest school in the state by far, they still are regularly beaten by Jenks in most every sport.

I would suggest one small town that hasn't been suggested yet: Bixby. Historically Bixby hasn't been all that wonderful, but in the past few years, many nice homes have been built in the south Tulsa area of the Bixby school district. Suburban neighborhoods are sprouting up out there, and it is just a matter of a few years before it is going to be the next hotspot.

Right now I believe Owasso is that. Owasso is supposed to be very nice, and they have pretty good schools. It is in a less-desirable area of town, however, being on the northwest side.

The town of Jenks is coming into its own with the addition of the Oklahoma Aquarium, the Riverparks Shopping Center, and upper-middle class housing. The actual town center that has historically been thought of as "Jenks" is still not all that wonderful, and there are many cheap and run-down homes scattered about, but I would imagine would the great new additions I mentioned, that much of this will change in the near future.

I believe that living in south Tulsa, east of the river, somewhere between
91st and Riverside, back east towards 81st and Garnett, then south to around 121st and Garnett and west to 121st and Riverside, is the best place to live and raise a family in Tulsa. These areas would put you in either the Broken Arrow, Bixby, Union, or Jenks school district. I grew up at 101st and Yale and went to Jenks Southeast Elementary School. I couldn't imagine a better public elementary school in the country. If you live south of 101st between Riverside and Memorial, then you go to Southeast, which is better than East, because East is much bigger.

Hope this helps, I know it's a lot of information.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM

11 posts, read 53,792 times
Default wow!

thank you! thank you!! i hadn't ever thought of Bixby-but that would be right up our ally-our move is about 3 months away w/our oldest starting school next school year. The geography information for the tulsa area was awesome-thank you! This information helps tremondously-helps to ease my worries-i have been raised in southern oklahoma/north texas so i haven't a clue about the tulsa area!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWatsonB View Post
Okay, Okay. There are only a few public schools in the Tulsa area that I would suggest. Jenks and Union are far and away the best schools. Academically and athletically, there are no comparisons. Jenks has the highest ACT scores in the state for public schools and has averaged 10 State Championships in sports per year over the last 15 years. That is sheer domination. Union has slightly better facilities, especially with the newly built "UMAC," which is a perfoming arts center and athletic center that is of the size and quality of a mid-sized university! The Union district is also near good shopping in the Woodland Hills Mall area. The Jenks School District stretches from the western portions of rural Jenks to Memorial and 111st. It Then stretches to 66th and Harvard at mid-town. Having gone to Jenks for my entire life, I would suggest it, especially if your kids are good achievers and they like a bit of a challenge and competition. There is no lack of that at Jenks. It has always been my impression that Union kids are a little more lax and that Broken Arrow kids are especially. This is evidenced in the fact that while Broken Arrow is the largest school in the state by far, they still are regularly beaten by Jenks in most every sport.

I would suggest one small town that hasn't been suggested yet: Bixby. Historically Bixby hasn't been all that wonderful, but in the past few years, many nice homes have been built in the south Tulsa area of the Bixby school district. Suburban neighborhoods are sprouting up out there, and it is just a matter of a few years before it is going to be the next hotspot.

Right now I believe Owasso is that. Owasso is supposed to be very nice, and they have pretty good schools. It is in a less-desirable area of town, however, being on the northwest side.

The town of Jenks is coming into its own with the addition of the Oklahoma Aquarium, the Riverparks Shopping Center, and upper-middle class housing. The actual town center that has historically been thought of as "Jenks" is still not all that wonderful, and there are many cheap and run-down homes scattered about, but I would imagine would the great new additions I mentioned, that much of this will change in the near future.

I believe that living in south Tulsa, east of the river, somewhere between
91st and Riverside, back east towards 81st and Garnett, then south to around 121st and Garnett and west to 121st and Riverside, is the best place to live and raise a family in Tulsa. These areas would put you in either the Broken Arrow, Bixby, Union, or Jenks school district. I grew up at 101st and Yale and went to Jenks Southeast Elementary School. I couldn't imagine a better public elementary school in the country. If you live south of 101st between Riverside and Memorial, then you go to Southeast, which is better than East, because East is much bigger.

Hope this helps, I know it's a lot of information.
Not sure why you would state Owasso is in a less desirable area of town? Jenks has got to the point where you can't tell what is Jenks and what is Tulsa, it's all ran together now. That is the one nice thing with Owasso, you at least know you have separated yourself from, if you want to call it a rat race, of Tulsa.

If sports is your number one priority, then yes, certainly choose Jenks. Recruiting of athletes does wonders for your sports program! I'll stack Owasso's academics up against any school district in the state, even if the facts do not show that. My son graduated two years ago, they have wonderful teachers, especially for the AP courses. He excelled in HS, clep'd out of numerous college classes due to excellent teachers in Owasso and now has a 3.9GPA in Chemical Engineering at OSU.

You also have a large section of Owasso in Rogers county, thus your property taxes are much lower than what you will find in Jenks, Bixby, Union, etc. There is a reason Owasso is one of the fastest growing communities in the state right now!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM

11 posts, read 53,792 times
Default more questions

what is the your take on Inola, Chouteau, Locust Grove? Community, activities, school districts? i couldn't find any other threads on these areas

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

18 posts, read 60,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
I have always been under the impression that Claremore schools were extremely rough, at least that is what I had always been told about their High School.
This comment is way off base. Claremore schools are very good.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:06 AM

265 posts, read 904,394 times
I went to Broken Arrow and had a great experience.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Jenks by farrr. Just look at the facilities!

Their football stadium is not so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa