Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Oklahoma: Tulsa, hiking, downtown, chamber of commerce, online magazines.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:15 PM

156 posts, read 944,225 times

Advertisements

I am from the south suburbs of Denver but currently living in Tampa. I miss the west badly so I am planning to move back soon. Tampa isnt my cup of tea. I like Denver but I'm not a big fan of the cold and snow, I dont mind some of that weather but I would like a milder winter. I prefer the clean safe suburbs with breathing room and houses with big yards but not too far from stuff to do.
Ive been through Tulsa and was surprised by the lakes and hills, I was expecting more Kansas like terrain. Much more scenic and interesting than I thought I would see.
I am in my upper 30s and have no kids, just dogs. Recreation in the water or biking/hiking would be important. I would be working mobile so work location can be flexible. Maybe near good locations to mingle with some other singles (ladies).
What do you think... is Tulsa something I should check out? How would you compare to Denver?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,790,505 times
Tulsa's not a super large city like Denver but it definitely has many of the amenities that you seek. There are almost a million people in the metro area, with almost 400,000 in the city proper. There are plenty of beautiful lakes in the area and as you said, the terrain is nothing like what most people expect in Tulsa. Check out the other thread that I had with Tulsa pics and you can get another glimpse of the area.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...ulsa-pics.html

The Winter weather is milder than in Denver, but you will have a definite change of seasons (nothing like Tampa). Summers are hot, but nothing like the deep south with super-high humidity, although the humidity is definitely higher there this year because of all the rain.

In my opinion, Tulsa is a hidden jewel and once more people find out about the place, it's beauty, and potential, the secret will be out. As for places to purchase; you have a wide range of older, established neighborhoods like Midtown, or on the Southside where everything is much newer.

Lots of recreational choices, as Tulsa is near the foothills of the Ozark Mountains and there are lots and lots of large, beautiful lakes in Northeastern Oklahoma (such as Lake Keystone, which is only 20 miles West of Tulsa), Skiatook Lake (http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/skiatook.htm - broken link), Grand Lake (if you really want a treat) as well as hiking, backpacking, and mountain biking in the many hills (even within city limits, like on Turkey Mountain, rock-climbing in Chandler Park), joining the Tulsa Rowing Club, or even the Tulsa Rugby Club.

The Riverparks are a beautiful system of jogging, biking, and walking trails that run alongside the Arkansas River from downtown all the way to Jenks. There was recently a multi-million dollar donation by one of the local Philanthropists to revamp this area and include separate areas along these trails for bikes and pedestrians, in addition to other amenities. Vision2025 is a whole new package voted in by the citizens of Tulsa to build a variety of attractions such as the new iconic BOK Center downtown, infrastructure improvements to roads and trails, and a host of other amenities for Tulsa now and in the future. Oh, there's also a floating stage and amphitheater along the Riverparks that is fun to attend on a nice, summer evening.

If you're into art, the Philbrook and Gilcrease museums are both fantastic, world class institutions. Spots to hang out include Brookside, the Blue Dome District (http://www.bluedomeartsfestival.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?T0=4427&TM=14/ - broken link), Cherry Street, and Central Park (with their new urban condos near downtown). The Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame is in downtown Tulsa as well. Then, there's Cain's Ballroom, a legendary venue for concerts and of course, the historic Brady Theater, affectionately called "The Old Lady on Brady." Check out the Wikipedia article on Cain's as well.

The 2007 PGA Championship is also going to be held in Tulsa at Southern Hills Country Club for a record fourth time this August. If you're into Oktoberfest, Tulsa's Oktoberfest has been consistently ranked in the top ten Oktoberfests in the entire country (if not even the world). In fact, it was ranked number 2.

Quote from article: "It's a surprising spot for Oktoberfest, but there are few cities that host a better German festival than Tulsa. In fact, Bon Appetit magazine calls it one of the top German food festivals in the U.S. and USA Today included the city in its list of Top 10 places in the world to celebrate Oktoberfest."

I know I sound like a chamber of commerce recording. In fact, I've been accused of that before but Tulsa is one of my favorite places (and I don't even live there, but did at one time - want to move back soooo badly). Do your own research and visit when you can. I think you'll be surprised by what Tulsa has to offer.

Good luck!

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-22-2007 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 04:27 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
KWK, wow~the post by Synopsis was so informative it's a hard act to follow.

Just wanted to let you know that we don't live in Tulsa either, but it is the nicest, friendlist city we've ever seen. It's a bit more populated then we personally care for, but I hope to some day live there, too.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:43 PM

99 posts, read 502,417 times
What a Fantastic Read Thank you so much !!! I have now been moved into my new home here for 3 weeks and we just Love it !!!! it is so beautiful here . I am in awe as we drive around trying to take it all in . So this read was so great and gives me something more to go so and do . Maybe you will come back to Tulsa someday :O)

Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,790,505 times
Thanks Jammie and Honeybee for the nice comments. Here is another great resource:

Tulsa People. A GREAT online Magazine that is professionally written and designed. Once at the site, just use the navigation links to view the table of contents and view archives of magazines that were published over the past year. It's entirely free and is a really good read with great articles to boot.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-23-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Alright!! Another good site to read.

Honeybee, did you grow up in OK or how did you end up there? I'm so glad you enjoy it there because it had to be a huge change for you coming from Cal. Since you're comfy there now, you could change your profile location to OK.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Hi Jammie :O) No I was born and raised in Ca. :O) and I love it here :O) I am 44 and never lived anywhere but Ca. till now I am so happy here in Tulsa it is so pretty I just am in awe when I drive around at how green and the rolling hills .Hee-Heee I been taking my 2 grandkids on roller coaster rides Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way down the hills :O) Love it , Love it here and the humidty to :O) I can't beleive I live in a very nice sub division and we have a creek right next to me and the other day here comes a little deer:O) right up from the creek and just looked at us and walked across the street to my friend Kathy 's house and went on down to the creek on that side it was just beautiful to see that and bunnies. running all over the yards and squirrls in the trees .We are not used to seeing this stuff exspeically in town! I am very happy here so far . I will let you know if I change but I think I will only Love it more the longer I am here .

Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Your welcome I am so HAPPY ) I Love it here so much I do miss my family and friends but I am so happy to be here .I am flying to Ca. next mo, to stay for 2 weeks as my newfew is getting married and my grandkids are in the wedding so I will visit my family then .They are all planning to come here to visit and I can't wait to show them all around Tulsa .

Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Honeybee, that is so wonderful to hear!! Yes, I'll bet a deer right in town is a really unfamiliar site to you. We've seen it before, but rarely. The only sad thing is if they get too close to the huge display windows, they jump through them and hurt themselves. We've had that happen before and it's sad.

I'll bet you have your list all ready for where you're taking your family when they come to visit you.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:21 PM

156 posts, read 944,225 times
Thanks for the info! It sounds like a nice place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa