Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 68,665 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my wife and I will be moving out to Tulsa in the summer some time. I came out for my interviews last November, but my wife has never even seen the city we will soon be living in. We will be flying out from Florida in early April for her first trip to Tulsa.

What all should I make sure to show her while we're out there to make sure she is excited about the move?

Also, I did Priceline for our hotel and got us the Holiday Inn Express Suites near downtown. It is just west of downtown. Does anybody know if this is a good location? I was trying to get something in the downtown area, but for Priceline's purposes this hotel is considered downtown and of course they were the one that accepted the bid instead of a hotel actually downtown. Is this an area we will feel safe? I don't want to give her a bad first impression by staying in a rough neighborhood.

Thanks for any info! We can't wait to come see our new city soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,353 times
That hotel is in Gilcrease Hills, or rather right at the start of Gilcrease Hills. You are staying on I-244 just to the northwest of downtown. You aren’t staying in a bad area, but you are very close to the very worst part of the whole metro area. The immediate area around the hotel is kinda rough and the area west and south of there is just plain rough. The areas directly to the north and northwest are better and some are pretty great. The older section of Gilcrease has some really great old and mostly well maintained homes and there’s a nicer newer section as well. Gilcrease Hills is the northwest section of Tulsa and it’s a pretty nice area with hills, great views and is very diverse but right next door are some of the roughest areas in Tulsa.

To the northeast is a really big housing project to avoid. There are a few nicer/emerging neighborhoods to the east of the hotel and just north of downtown but to the north of this area (northeast of the hotel) is Tulsa’s largest ghetto area. This region has bad gang problems. There are some nicer pockets here and there in this area but overall it will be pretty bad in most areas. The largest Hispanic area of town is right next door just to the northeast of downtown and it’s also pretty rough.

The best part of Tulsa is the large region to the south and southeast of downtown, this is what is called Midtown and has many nice and often very expensive neighborhoods. Midtown is somewhat diverse and is the more liberal part of the city. Beyond Midtown to the south and east is South Tulsa which is the largest part of the city and is a mostly a nicer suburban like area even if it’s in the city. Tulsa is then ringed by suburbs of varying types and sizes. Most people do live in the ‘burbs here.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,736 times
The hotel is right off the interstate so safety shouldn't be a major problem. That part of town is iffy though and fairly run down. But it's not like you'll be walking around or anything so if budget is a concern, I'm sure it'll be ok.
When my husband and I visit Tulsa, we always stay at the Inn at Woodward Park bed and breakfast,Inn at Woodward Park - Oklahoma bed and breakfasts, Oklahoma bed and breakfast, Oklahoma lodging, Tulsa corporate housing, Tulsa hotels, Tulsa hotel, Tulsa Inns, Tulsa Inn, Tulsa Lodging, Tulsa motels, Tulsa motel, Tulsa vacation rentals, Tulsa vacat. Their least expensive room is $99/night which isn't bad considering they don't charge a lodging tax and you get an YUMMY breakfast in the morning, that can be personalized to your liking. It's in a beautiful, historic part of town and you can walk to Woodward Park across the street or walk a mile to Utica Square. Also about 5 mins from downtown.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,751,902 times
That's not a good place to get a first impression.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
That's not a good place to get a first impression.
I second that! Like most said it is a pretty tired area. But the neighborhood just to the east is up coming up. There is a Holiday Inn in downtown Tulsa at 7th and Boulder, have looked into staying there? It is very nice I have been in there several times. They have a great sports bar. The Court Yard by Marriott is also pretty nice and you maybe able to get a good rate on it.

By the way, April is the best time to come to Tulsa.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,377 times
You are close to Gilcrease Museum and it's definitely worth seeing. There is an old neighborhood just to the east (between the hotel and downtown) that is worth checking out. Some parts are still rundown but there is a lot of new investment in the neighborhood as well because of the quality of homes and proximity to downtown and Tulsa Country Club to the north.

Check out downtown, go to the river, go to Philbrook, go to Utica Square, and go to the zoo. I'd also recommend, since you're in the area, checking out the botanical gardens up at 53rd W Ave and 31st St N. They are a work in progress (still building a lot of the gardens) but the area is really scenic and there are hiking trails. If you like hiking I would also recommend Turkey Mtn Urban Wilderness in SW Tulsa, Chandler Park in W Tulsa and Redbud Valley Nature Preserve in NE Tulsa.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Tulsa is a neat town. I always liked Utica Square; be sure to take her to Miss Jackson's. It is close to 24th and Utica. Someone here can probably give better directions..... one of the places where I really enjoyed eating was a Chinese restaurant between Sheridan and Memorial on 51st.

When you move inland you miss large bodies of water. I had that same problem. I cured mine by coing to NE OK off I-44 to Grand Lake. It's a very pretty area and it takes about 4 hours to drive around the lake. It is closer to hop off the Venita exit and beside when you do you not only have a beautiful view of the lake when you get closer to Grove, you also pass Tom Cat Corner which has awesome BBQ - pork, beef or chicken by the sandwich, ribs or piece.

Welcome to Oklahoma. Collectively, it is one of the neatest states you will ever live in.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:52 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Tulsa is a neat town. I always liked Utica Square; be sure to take her to Miss Jackson's. It is close to 24th and Utica. Someone here can probably give better directions..... one of the places where I really enjoyed eating was a Chinese restaurant between Sheridan and Memorial on 51st.

When you move inland you miss large bodies of water. I had that same problem. I cured mine by coing to NE OK off I-44 to Grand Lake. It's a very pretty area and it takes about 4 hours to drive around the lake. It is closer to hop off the Venita exit and beside when you do you not only have a beautiful view of the lake when you get closer to Grove, you also pass Tom Cat Corner which has awesome BBQ - pork, beef or chicken by the sandwich, ribs or piece.

Welcome to Oklahoma. Collectively, it is one of the neatest states you will ever live in.
Wow it is so nice to hear something good about Tulsa and OK. Thank you

Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Default You're welcome!

OK is okay by me. I lived in the Grove area for 25 years. Oklahoma is my second home! I like Tulsa because it is a mature tree and clock town. Regardless of where I drove in Tulsa I could find a clock. The shopping centers are awesome. I used to go up to the buffet that had the big Panda on the sign, and it was close to Walgreen's. I like the mall in the south part of town because it had great book stores.

I have to add the Tulsa Heart Care - the group that has a heart wing in the catholic hospital - is very good. My spouse had emergency heart surgery on Thanksgiving Day! The bypass failed, but they must have done a pretty good job because that was 13.5 years ago, and the heart is still beating strong.

I do not like traffic nor do I like big towns. Nevertheless I like Tulsa and I think the people in Oklahoma are as nice as any group in America. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Wow it is so nice to hear something good about Tulsa and OK. Thank you

Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousInFlorida View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my wife and I will be moving out to Tulsa in the summer some time. I came out for my interviews last November, but my wife has never even seen the city we will soon be living in. We will be flying out from Florida in early April for her first trip to Tulsa.

What all should I make sure to show her while we're out there to make sure she is excited about the move?

Also, I did Priceline for our hotel and got us the Holiday Inn Express Suites near downtown. It is just west of downtown. Does anybody know if this is a good location? I was trying to get something in the downtown area, but for Priceline's purposes this hotel is considered downtown and of course they were the one that accepted the bid instead of a hotel actually downtown. Is this an area we will feel safe? I don't want to give her a bad first impression by staying in a rough neighborhood.

Thanks for any info! We can't wait to come see our new city soon!
I'm sorry you didn't get right downtown! You would have enjoyed it. However, the hotel you are in is fine. In fact, you are in my neighborhood. Nearly. I'm less than a mile west of the BOK, so you are a tad more west and a tad more north.

One thing is certain. Everything is relative, and people's opinions are vastly different on here. Your hotel sits on I-244 and 25th W. Ave., aka Gilcrease Museum Rd. There is a Quik Trip right across the street from your hotel. It's one of the new ones with a coffee bar. I feel safe going in there any time of the day or night, and I'm female. Sir, IMO, you will be as safe at that hotel and in that neighborhood as you will anywhere else in Tulsa. I grew up in this neighborhood, and live in that area now. I'm speaking from my own personal experience, and that is my hood. I'm educated and a professional, and I love the area. I'm there by choice. I've never, ever had any problems. Ever.

This hotel is closest to the Owen Park neighborhood, and it's a registered historical neighborhood. I'm not talking about the neighborhood west of your hotel, but east of it. Actually, you're right smack in it, but just sitting on the frontage Rd.

I suggest this drive: From the hotel, exit right (North) and drive to Easton, which will be about two blocks, and drive east on Easton to Quanah Ave. You can't miss it, because Owen Park is right there and you'll see the park, the pond, and the ducks and geese. On Quanah, turn left (north) and drive to Edison, (one block) and then east to Denver Ave. and turn right (south) and drive Denver Ave. to downtown.

Probably, the only thing north of Easton you'll want to see is Gilcrease Museum. Do go. It's great, and take the time to walk around the grounds. I remember when the Gilcrease Museum Rd., north of Newton wasn't paved, (early to mid 70's) and I rode horses up and down 25th W. Ave. back when there was still a horse stables at the corner of Newton and 25th W. Ave.

From your hotel, if you want to get to downtown quickly, turn left onto Gilcrease Museum Rd./25th W. Ave. and drive to Charles Page Blvd. and turn left (east) and just drive east a couple of miles. Va Voom! You're downtown.

If you drive west on 3rd ST., aka, Charles Page Blvd., you will see many old Brownfields, and it does look scuzzy. Very scuzzy. That is a low income, mostly White area. Lots of good, decent people live in that area. There's just nothing of interest for you to see over there.

Definitely drive your wife down Riverside Dr., so she can see the river trails. The Blue Rose Cafe has just opened and it's located on the River Trails at between 15th and 21st (closer to 15th). That might be a great place to go eat dinner one night. ???

Some great areas that are near downtown for you guys to check out: The Riverview neighborhood, which is on the south end of downtown; Cherry St., or aka, 15th St. From downtown just drive east on 15th about 2-3 miles. There are many choices of places for you to dine in that area and in downtown. You can get out and walk around. It's walkable.

Also, go to the Mayo Hotel and enjoy the best cup of coffee you'll ever taste at Topeca Coffee. Wonderful place. Family owned, and most definitely fair trade coffee. They work very closely with growers in El Salvador and are conscientious minded business people.

Enjoy your stay, and welcome to Tulsa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa