Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,319 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the process of moving down South from PA. We are looking for about 5 acres of land to build a modest home on. We are interested in a rural area within an hour of the Airport. We want forest like property, near water, or on a major stream. Is there waterfalls and stuff like that down there.

Please tell us as much as you can.

[EMAIL="bobpietrangelo@comcast.net"]bobpietrangelo@comcast.net[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpietrangelo View Post
My wife and I are in the process of moving down South from PA. We are looking for about 5 acres of land to build a modest home on. We are interested in a rural area within an hour of the Airport. We want forest like property, near water, or on a major stream. Is there waterfalls and stuff like that down there.

Please tell us as much as you can.

bobpietrangelo@comcast.net
Most of the land around Tulsa is prarie with a few clusters of wooded land here and there. Most of the wooded land is what is known as "scrub oak" which is type of oak that doesn't really grow very tall- maybe around 30 feet. We don't get the rainfall required to maintain very many waterfalls and streams. There are various creeks around however. You could look at a map of Oklahoma waterways to get a better idea. Your best bet is to contact a realtor in the area.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Salina and Spavinaw areas would be most similar to what you are accustomed to in much of PA. You might find some land in the Skiatook lake area that would meet your needs. We don't have much in the way of waterfalls. What we have are creeks. East towards the Cookson hills they tend to be clear as they flow through the flint hills. most of the creeks north and west flow through clay soil so they tend to be muddier than those in the east. Like Milleka said, most of what we have in the way of woods, particularly west and north of Tulsa are scrub oaks and red cedar. You will find occasional nut trees (black walnut, hickory and pecan) but mostly the trees are not real tall. To find things like what you will get in PA, eastern OK is probably the most similar.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
The problem with most of the streams near Tulsa and surrounding area is they are quite hammered (that's our real geeky scientific term for us stream monitorers to mean it's in bad shape).

Most, not all, but most of the streams around the Tulsa area have incised stream banks. The substrate is usually a mix of sand and silt. The worse condition of the stream the more silty and muddy it is.

It's been quite a few years, and I didn't get that great of a look, but.......I did see some property in the Pretty Water area that had a decent looking stream running nearby. It was a fairly rural area, but near Tulsa. Pretty Water is a small community between Sapulpa and Sand Springs. At that time, it looked like a few large (McMansion style) houses were being built, so it may have completely changed by now.

I just came back from sampling a creek with my daughter and it was the first time I've been down in this creek. The creek is Harlow Creek, and it's right in town. It's been mowed right down to the stream banks on both sides; the creek had rocks in it and it had a large amount of cladophora (filamentous algae).

Goodpasture is telling you right about the creeks. In the Tulsa area, you're about 60 miles too far west for the clear, cobble bottom streams.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
The Verdigris area might have some land with streams and waterfalls. It is very hilly just east of Owasso around The Patriot golf course which is also close to the airport. Your best bet is further east of Tulsa in the Ozarks which start roughly at the Grand River. Tulsa is in between two topographical regions: the Osage Hills north and west of the Arkansas River in Osage County, western Tulsa County, and Creek County including western sections of the city of Tulsa; and the Ozark Plateau/Boston Mtns which are east of the city.

The city itself is rolling with taller hills in some parts but is mostly in the Arkansas River and Mingo Creek valleys. Just east of the city are the large Verdigris and Grand River valleys, and a lot of farmland. The Ozarks rise just east of the Grand River valley where several lakes are: Grand, Hudson and Fort Gibson. Everything east of there is much hillier and mountainess as you go into northwest Arkansas, and there are rocky streams and waterfalls.

Natural Falls State Park is 70 miles east of Tulsa...really beautiful place

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Beautiful Water Fall I Didn't Know That It Existed......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
The Verdigris area might have some land with streams and waterfalls. It is very hilly just east of Owasso around The Patriot golf course which is also close to the airport. Your best bet is further east of Tulsa in the Ozarks which start roughly at the Grand River. Tulsa is in between two topographical regions: the Osage Hills north and west of the Arkansas River in Osage County, western Tulsa County, and Creek County including western sections of the city of Tulsa; and the Ozark Plateau/Boston Mtns which are east of the city.

The city itself is rolling with taller hills in some parts but is mostly in the Arkansas River and Mingo Creek valleys. Just east of the city are the large Verdigris and Grand River valleys, and a lot of farmland. The Ozarks rise just east of the Grand River valley where several lakes are: Grand, Hudson and Fort Gibson. Everything east of there is much hillier and mountainess as you go into northwest Arkansas, and there are rocky streams and waterfalls.

Lovely Picture I wonder if there are any water falls in the mountains
off of highway 59..270 or 271 i'm curious hummmmm.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa