Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 PM

8 posts, read 15,339 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for things to "explore" as we have just moved to the area from East Tennessee. I have a 6 yr old and 3 yr old boy. Already on our list is the Tulsa Zoo and the Aquarium. Someone mentioned something about driving out an hour or so away to see wild buffalo??? thought that would be neat for them. Anyway..any other family friendly suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM

4,961 posts, read 5,209,573 times
Here are a few that I can think of. Not all are 'destination' type places and might be lame for us adults. It usually doesn't take much with younger kids.

Has anyone mentioned Woolaroc? They have a petting zoo, playground, and some museums. My kids weren't as interested in the museums, but dh and I enjoyed it and wished we had gotten to see more.

My kids love the Bass Pro Shop. They have a large aquarium, trout stream and huge stuffed wild animals. The Public Library system should be starting the summer reading program in a month or so. I don't know if it it on the agenda for this year, but in the past they had a reading hour at the Bass Pro Shop a few times during the summer. They let the kids feed the fish. Loads of fun there with short kids, a tall tank, and nightcrawlers flying through the air. Also, the Bass Pro Shop sometimes has kids activities like fishing on weekends. We've never been, but the ones I saw looked like fun.

There is a hidden little nature park called Ray Harrell Nature Park in Broken Arrow. I don't think it is very big, but what I saw was a great size for younger kids.

If you need flowers and shrubs for your new house, you might take a Saturday drive and check out some of the bigger plant nurseries in the area. My kids love that as an afternoon outing. The biggest one I know of is way down south on 193rd.

Muscogee has the "Batfish" which is a submarine. You can walk through it for a fee. It's not huge, but it is something different. We went to a park and had a picnic lunch after that.

Stroud, Oklahoma has a McDonalds that is built over an overpass. McDonalds isn't that exciting, but is something different. It's kind of fun to watch cars go underneath while you eat.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,908,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Stroud, Oklahoma has a McDonalds that is built over an overpass. McDonalds isn't that exciting, but is something different. It's kind of fun to watch cars go underneath while you eat.
That is up by Vinita, not Stroud

Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 PM

431 posts, read 1,236,389 times
Definitely go to Woolaroc, it's a regional attraction and kids will love it. There is a museum, wildlife preserve and nature trails. It is near Bartlesville which is a charming town just under an hour north of Tulsa.

Closer in there are lots of parks in Tulsa that offer hiking trails through the hills. The most well-known is Turkey Mountain, and is right basically in the middle of the city by the river. Others are Chandler Park (which is known for its canyons and rock climbing), the Centennial Botanical Gardens (the gardens are a work in progress but there are lots of hiking trails in the hilliest part of the metro) and Redbud Valley Nature Preserve just northeast of Tulsa near Catoosa. Some of the best playgrounds are at LaFortune Park, Helmerich Park and fairly new QuikTrip Park by the river at 41st.

You also can't go wrong with Mohawk Park for kids, one of the largest municipal parks in the country. There is the zoo and Oxley Nature Center, which has trails and includes swamps, wetlands and forests.

Tulsa has tons of parks and trails within the city and in surrounding areas. If you want to go further away there are even more places east of Tulsa in the mountains.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 PM

265 posts, read 899,751 times
I would second the Bass Pro Shops. It has a nice fish tank stocked with fish and free to see and right here in Broken Arrow. Also the Safari Interactive Sanctuary is a nice place to view animals closer than you would at the Tulsa Zoo.

Safari's Interactive Animal Sanctuary

The Tulsa Zoo is really nice for a city our size and Woolaroc is a short drive away.

Welcome to Broken Arrow!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 PM

16 posts, read 30,705 times
Hi Tnmom! I can't give you any info on the area, as I'm still in East TN. We are preparing for our own relocation to the Tulsa area. We thought we might rent since we don't know how long we will be there, but now we are rethinking and are looking to purchase. We're looking at BA and Jenks. Dh started his job this week and has been exploring. We hope to join him before the end of May.

How do you like it there? Dh is from East TN and I've lived here for 11 years. It'll be hard to leave, but we're looking forward to the new adventure.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,575,724 times
Neat park and nature center.

City of Broken Arrow : Ray Harral Nature Park (http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/Index.aspx?page=489 - broken link)

Edit; sarahsez mentioned this as well. Neat place.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 15,339 times
Thank you ALL for your suggestions! I bookmarked them all Should keep us pretty busy for a little while seriously...THANK you for taking time to respond!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,569,912 times
Tallgrass Prairie up north of Pawhuska is only an hour or two away from Tulsa and yes there are wild buffalo there. Made a day trip up there last year and plan to do so again this year while I'm still in the area. Haven't been to the Tulsa Zoo in a few years but every time I go I was always impressed by it. I absolutely adore the Tulsa area because of the rolling green hills in the summer, the friendly people, and in general I just prefer southern cities more than the mountain-west cities I've grown up in. Plus I got more family down here than I do anywhere else.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,449 times
i would ay : tulsa rose garden/ gilcrease musieum/oru university jenks, okla/really close to tulsa. enjoy, tulsa is a great town, i have lived here all my life. have a great day.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa