Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,302 times

Advertisements

The following is in the current issue of Esquire magazine:

"Having missed everything ... I decide to find a bar and drink until my situation improves. This turns out to be harder than one might anticipate; taverns don't seem to exist here. I have lived in some of the least exhilarating cities in America, but Tulsa is almost like urban sarcasm. Tulsa makes Akron seem like Las Vegas. It's Friday night, but every downtown street is a reenactment of the opening ten minutes of 28 Days Later. All the avenues have names like Denver and Detroit and Cincinnati, as if those cities were theoretical, unattainable utopias. The townsfolk are incredibly nice, but the emptiness is relentless (and kind of terrifying). I can't fathom what things are like here when they're not having a festival."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,597,652 times
"I decide to find a bar and drink until my situation improves."

This guy is some deep thinker!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,843,487 times
Obviously how an alcoholic sees Tulsa, which means for those that are not alcoholics it must be a pretty great place. Hmmm... Food for thought.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,367,370 times
No open beer joints and taverns so I can get slop-slickin' drunk whenever I feel like it? Oh the shame!!!

Davazzisback, you may be attempting to detour people from Tulsa with your quote, but you've actually made Tulsa look more appealing to the type of people who are looking at the area.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,039,903 times
Sounds like the writer somehow missed all of the bars in the Blue Dome and Brady districts. How odd!

There certainly are places to drink in Tulsa if one is inclined to do so. It's true that you won't find a tavern on every street corner, but every Tulsan I know prefers it that way.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:07 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,843,487 times
That's the way these trolls work; they exaggerate everything and thrive on stereotypes. If one doesn't like a place, wouldn't you call it an obsession that they keep showing up and trying to talk crap about a specific area? We get it, you don't like Tulsa and never will Davaz. Others do (many others do), however, and I suppose that just rubs you the wrong way. Keep on posting, for every negative thing you post, there'll be hundreds of others to rebut.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,320,161 times
This article Tulsa sound rather peaceful to me.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,746,653 times
This is no article.... when an article is posted I only consider it valid if it has the WHOLE article and a valid source attached ...this was merely a paragraph.....OKCTALK- calm down.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM

17 posts, read 114,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davazisback View Post
The following is in the current issue of Esquire magazine:

"Having missed everything ... I decide to find a bar and drink until my situation improves. This turns out to be harder than one might anticipate; taverns don't seem to exist here. I have lived in some of the least exhilarating cities in America, but Tulsa is almost like urban sarcasm. Tulsa makes Akron seem like Las Vegas. It's Friday night, but every downtown street is a reenactment of the opening ten minutes of 28 Days Later. All the avenues have names like Denver and Detroit and Cincinnati, as if those cities were theoretical, unattainable utopias. The townsfolk are incredibly nice, but the emptiness is relentless (and kind of terrifying). I can't fathom what things are like here when they're not having a festival."
Amen Brother!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

774 posts, read 1,852,173 times
Default On the other hand ...

I'm very new to Tulsa and I'm also a writer. (Writers are classified as THE most neurotic of all creative genres.)

I think you who've lived here and made the city what it is should think of his write up as a Godsend.

This is a great place (even with the few Neanderthals who think they're gun fighters ... here in the New Millennium...) Hopefully, his article will keep the kind of people YOU DON'T WANT from coming here.

The crime is relatively low NOT because of the (paranoid) concealed guns, but because there are JOBS. Housing is low and plentiful, etc....

After living in alienated cities where there were far too many rats in the cage, Tulsa is going to challenge me to let down my walls and pre-conceived notions about people, about the South, and just enjoy all that is wonderful here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa