Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,837,398 times

Advertisements

I don't really consider Tulsa to be either midwestern or southern. Maybe more western, but it doesn't really have a regional identity. And I'm from the far eastern edge of Oklahoma, which I will agree is more or less southern, but don't really consider Tulsa to be in that same region. The people I grew up with in Eastern Oklahoma are not like the people I met during the years I lived in Tulsa. It's interesting to note that if you tell someone from the Deep South that Oklahoma is southern, they will laugh at you. I've also spoken with folks in Arkansas who don't really consider Oklahoma southern either.

I sometimes wonder if all the various Big 12 conference problems are a result of the region's neither-fish-nor-fowl regional identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,906,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Most people that live in Tulsa consider it more Midwestern.
I think most people in Tulsa don't spend any time thinking about it...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I sometimes wonder if all the various Big 12 conference problems are a result of the region's neither-fish-nor-fowl regional identity.
I think it has more to do with revenue sharing than anything else and the Texas channel deal angered just about everyone.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

19 posts, read 37,840 times
alright midwestern/southern aside do you consider Tulsa/metro a fairly safe city? Aside from reading things I can relate to Minneapolis and I know parts you're real safe and other parts not so much. Where would you consider a good place to live Jenks, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Owasso (sp) but isnt far/long drive from most jobs, entertainment, food, and shopping? Like for Fargo you can get to the furthest place within 25-30 mins there is a decent rush hour here depends where you're going tho.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Most people that live in Tulsa consider it more Midwestern. We are more like Kansas City, Des Moines and Omaha than Houston and Austin or Little Rock.
>>>>>
<<<<<

Who? This is really a fascinating issue because I'm truly at a loss as my experience is much different and I'm from Oklahoma, lived here most my life, and I visit Tulsa several times a year. Swakester, where are they except for a few on these boards? I've never met ONE and I visit Tulsa regularly to see extended family and friends. In fact, until I started posting on these boards a few years back the concept of Tulsa being (or Oklahoma for that matter) being Midwestern had never entered my mind. I even went so far as to ask extended family about it that lives in the Tulsa area and they just gave me a look of disbelief on the insinuation that Tulsa was Midwestern. We always called (and this is what I was taught in grammar school long long ago) Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas the Old Southwest....the most western boundary of the South but obviously different than the Deep South while retaining some Southern traits in the main. Think SOUTHwest not SouthWEST (clearly New Mexico/Arizona).

From what I can gather, which isn't much (because there is so much more evidence to point away from Tulsa having the overt Midwestern cultural touches that are claimed by a few on these boards) it seems like it may be a sentiment shared by a few younger folks who are from families that are transplanted just a few generations back in Oklahoma.....again, I've yet to meet a born&bred Okie with roots several generations back in the Sooner State that would claim the Midwestern tag for Tulsa, OK. Still waiting to meet one in person.

Having lived in Oklahoma much the majority of my life and spending ample time living in DFW, Tulsa/OK City are much more akin to Fort Worth/Amarillo/Austin/Nashville.....baby version of Dallas, etc. culturally. The belief that somehow OK City is more Redneck/Southern and on a lower echelon is just a myth created by a few misinformed Tulsans and their own city is every bit akin to the state capitol.

For whatever reason, calling a city "Midwestern" instead of "Southern/Southwestern" makes it less hickish.....I totally disagree with the highlighted and exaggerated cultural differences that are propagated by some on these boards between Tulsa and OK City. There is no rivalry. Both are great cities with overt Oklahoma culture = that is not Midwestern. Don't kid yourself Swake and other Tulsans, you're all on our level. You're from Oklahoma and there should be no shame in that.

Again, these discussions about the stark differences between OK City and Tulsa are just a whole lotta much ado about nothing.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Sav View Post
alright midwestern/southern aside do you consider Tulsa/metro a fairly safe city? Aside from reading things I can relate to Minneapolis and I know parts you're real safe and other parts not so much. Where would you consider a good place to live Jenks, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Owasso (sp) but isnt far/long drive from most jobs, entertainment, food, and shopping? Like for Fargo you can get to the furthest place within 25-30 mins there is a decent rush hour here depends where you're going tho.
All the Burbs you have listed are very nice and I think you would feel quite safe.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM

[quote=Goodpasture;20792457]I think most people in Tulsa don't spend any time thinking about it...........

GP speaketh the truth once again. As I noted in my other post, it had never entered my mind in all the time I grew up/lived (presently residing) in Oklahoma.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't really consider Tulsa to be either midwestern or southern. Maybe more western, but it doesn't really have a regional identity. And I'm from the far eastern edge of Oklahoma, which I will agree is more or less southern, but don't really consider Tulsa to be in that same region. The people I grew up with in Eastern Oklahoma are not like the people I met during the years I lived in Tulsa. It's interesting to note that if you tell someone from the Deep South that Oklahoma is southern, they will laugh at you. I've also spoken with folks in Arkansas who don't really consider Oklahoma southern either.

>>>>>
It's interesting to note that if you tell someone from the Deep South that Oklahoma is southern, they will laugh at you.
<<<<<

Yep. They're called "Deep South Purists." And they would laugh at anyone not from Bama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and to a lesser extent Lousiana/Arkansas.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,837,398 times
Anyway, whatever it actually is, Tulsa would probably be a good place for these guys to move.

I haven't lived there for a few years now, but unless something major has changed I would say as far as safety it's like a lot of places, most parts are okay, the ones that aren't are pretty easy to find out about. Most of the high profile crime happens in the "bad" areas.

The last time I drove there, it seemed like traffic was much heavier than it was 7-8 years ago, but still not too bad for a city that size. I don't think you would have to make any major adjustments as far as traffic.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,227,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Sav View Post
Tulsa has crime but it is pretty much concentrated in a few small areas. Tulsa like a lot of other Midwestern cities is somewhat flat, so it is laid out in a grid system making it very easy to get get around. Most people will say traffic is terrible but I'm guessing they never drove in Dallas, Houston or Atlanta. Even during rush hour and I do mean hour, it may take 35 to 45 minutes to get from Downtown to the farthest burbs.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,196,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

Who? This is really a fascinating issue because I'm truly at a loss as my experience is much different and I'm from Oklahoma, lived here most my life, and I visit Tulsa several times a year. Swakester, where are they except for a few on these boards? I've never met ONE and I visit Tulsa regularly to see extended family and friends. In fact, until I started posting on these boards a few years back the concept of Tulsa being (or Oklahoma for that matter) being Midwestern had never entered my mind. I even went so far as to ask extended family about it that lives in the Tulsa area and they just gave me a look of disbelief on the insinuation that Tulsa was Midwestern. We always called (and this is what I was taught in grammar school long long ago) Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas the Old Southwest....the most western boundary of the South but obviously different than the Deep South while retaining some Southern traits in the main. Think SOUTHwest not SouthWEST (clearly New Mexico/Arizona).

From what I can gather, which isn't much (because there is so much more evidence to point away from Tulsa having the overt Midwestern cultural touches that are claimed by a few on these boards) it seems like it may be a sentiment shared by a few younger folks who are from families that are transplanted just a few generations back in Oklahoma.....again, I've yet to meet a born&bred Okie with roots several generations back in the Sooner State that would claim the Midwestern tag for Tulsa, OK. Still waiting to meet one in person.

Having lived in Oklahoma much the majority of my life and spending ample time living in DFW, Tulsa/OK City are much more akin to Fort Worth/Amarillo/Austin/Nashville.....baby version of Dallas, etc. culturally. The belief that somehow OK City is more Redneck/Southern and on a lower echelon is just a myth created by a few misinformed Tulsans and their own city is every bit akin to the state capitol.

For whatever reason, calling a city "Midwestern" instead of "Southern/Southwestern" makes it less hickish.....I totally disagree with the highlighted and exaggerated cultural differences that are propagated by some on these boards between Tulsa and OK City. There is no rivalry. Both are great cities with overt Oklahoma culture = that is not Midwestern. Don't kid yourself Swake and other Tulsans, you're all on our level. You're from Oklahoma and there should be no shame in that.

Again, these discussions about the stark differences between OK City and Tulsa are just a whole lotta much ado about nothing.
My family has lived in the Tulsa area going back 100 years. My grandparents lived at 36th and Utica when 36th Street was a dirt road. I don’t just visit the area a few times a year, I’m here every day. And most everyone who lives here considers Tulsa a Midwestern city. When Tulsa is described on the news, we are the Midwest. Especially by the local news. It’s surprising to me that you act so shocked about this. It’s not just common, it’s a large majority. And I would not consider Oklahoma City southern either. OKC is more Southwestern than Midwestern but Southwestern has no negative “hick” stereotype that I know of. It’s no insult to connect Oklahoma City to booming Southwestern Cities like Dallas, Austin, Phoenix or Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa