Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 AM

19 posts, read 37,840 times

Advertisements

I thought they did stuff that has helped flooding? Being from Fargo we have floods every year from snow melt. Places around Fargo have been hit basically rural areas.

Also, I know how bad tornadoes can be down there. If you live in an apartment and a F3+ is headed your way honestly how are you suppose to stay safe from that? I enjoy severe weather but dont want it to take lives or ruin anything. So any tips on what to do besides hallways closets bathrooms etc would be nice. Up here we have basements and I know down there is a little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Most people that live in Tulsa consider it more Midwestern. We are more like Kansas City, Des Moines and Omaha than Houston and Austin or Little Rock.
Kansas City and Omaha are located on the western fringe of the Midwest with the Great Plains West quickly beginning an hour or two to the west. I am pretty familiar with Tulsa and while the built environment and some cultural aspects might be more Midwest-like you find a lot of differences in climate, vegetation, attitudes, politics, etc compared to anywhere in the Midwest, particularly the Midwest core. Also, the latitude in Tulsa is very far south so it felt like being on the surface of the sun, even in May. Tulsa just has a much more western and new flavor and has next to no similarities with cities along and east of the Mississippi River, which is where a good chunk of the Midwest lies.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 AM

12 posts, read 25,795 times
Be sure to check out midtown Tulsa. While I guess the burbs are nice/safe enough, I grew up in one that ya'all are considering...When the opportunity arose, I moved to the area near the University of Tulsa and have been here over 20 years. It was close to all the hot spots then and still is. Most everything is 10 minutes or less away. If I really need to venture out it's 20-25 mins max. Downtown Tulsa, Cherry Street, Brookside are short drives on expressways or surface streets and when I have to visit Mother, she's a 20 minute drive - nearly all highway miles. As a single person, I've never understood the allure of living in the burbs. I want to be close to work and play and not look at cookie cutter houses and shopping centers.

I'm a single woman that lives alone and I've rarely felt unsafe. I've said it before on this forum, I've accidentally left my doors unlocked at night and not been freaked out about it the next morning. You're moving for adventure and something new....Come to the city....not some burb. You'll have to drive to the lakes, river and sporting events anyway...do it from somewhere interesting!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:53 PM

158 posts, read 330,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
I've talked to a few people I know and they said there is still a Midwestern feel to it.
<<<<<

No, not really.....especially nothing in terms of Midwestern like what you know of North Dakota. Nebraska/Kansas/the majority of Missouri sure. Oklahoma nope.

Oklahoma possesses much more a Southwestern/Southern/Western hybrid than Midwestern. When you think of Oklahoma and Tulsa think much (much much) more like Texas without all the arrogance. Most the Yankee/Midwestern oil barons that moved here 80-90 years ago are gone as well and unless you're planning on rubbing elbows with their families I'm sensing you won't sense any Midwestern touches nor their cultural influence, IMO.

Go immediately outside of Tulsa and you'll see the difference. You noted that it is on the edge of the Ozarks.....just me, but I've NEVER thought that the corner of NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas are Midwestern based on speech/food/woodsy topography/overall culture, etc. Even Southern Missouri has pretty prominent cultural affinity more with Oklahoma/Arkansas than it does say, with neighboring Kansas/Iowa/Illinois.

I visit Tulsa regularly and it is hardly different culturally from OK City (and for that matter Fort Worth/Austin (although it's very weird)/Amarillo, etc.) with the exception of a few aesthetic differences in the skyline and layout of the city plus the greener/more foresty areas as you move into NE Oklahoma. Having been to ND myself, I say without hesitation that Tulsa resembles Nashville much more than it does Fargo.

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome and good luck. Please please please when you move down don't refer to Tulsa as the Midwest out of respect for many of us and our families that have lived here for over a hundred years. We let a few of the transplant Californians do it because, well, they're from Cali.

Thanks In Advance,

4th Generation Bonafied Okie

I like this post I wasn't born or raised in Tulsa, but moved here in the early 80s. I hated it!! Thought Tulsa was a boring, small, hick town.

Guess what? Over the years I grew to love Tulsa, and now that my husband may get a job in Cali, I am soooooo sad Who the heck leaves Tulsa for Bakersfield? But the job, the medical insurance, and the fact that he's sick and tired of what he's doing here, might just take us out there. I won't sell my home though! Gonna keep it in case I can't stand my life out there and wanna move back...home

Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,837,398 times
I didn't want to start any trouble on the California board, but feel safe in saying it here...I honestly don't think you'll be happy in Bakersfield, and can't imagine anyone staying long-term in a place where they are only there for a job. Definitely have a plan to come back in case it doesn't work out.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
I like this post I wasn't born or raised in Tulsa, but moved here in the early 80s. I hated it!! Thought Tulsa was a boring, small, hick town.

Guess what? Over the years I grew to love Tulsa, and now that my husband may get a job in Cali, I am soooooo sad Who the heck leaves Tulsa for Bakersfield? But the job, the medical insurance, and the fact that he's sick and tired of what he's doing here, might just take us out there. I won't sell my home though! Gonna keep it in case I can't stand my life out there and wanna move back...home
Thank ya much.

Hope it works out in Cali, if not get back to the Southern Plains as soon as you can!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
Looks are deceiving and so is the Midwest which can be as much liberal and Yankee as it can be ultra conservative and Southern. NE OK is a more of a mix and it is in the foothills of the Ozark Mountain Range, but you run into the problem of very small towns and far less opportunites for employment. Tulsa is considered the art center of OK whereas OKC is political and it has large colleges. The rolling tree covered hills in NE OK that wander into Tulsa give way to red earth in the western half of the state. Tulsa is about a million population. Tulsa and OKC both have good medical care.

OKC and Tulsa are both squarely in Tornado Alley. These tornadoes move SW to NE. If you chose Tulsa do not live within 10 miles of any 4 lane road. NW or SE of the city are both ideal locations Most of the storms follow a path along I-40 and I-44 to the MO border where they split and generally go north into Joplin or south into Neosho.

If you are a cownboy and like sports you will probably prefer OKC. If you are more urban you will probably prefer Tulsa as it is more cultural. Where you live depends a great deal upon where you work and how much you want to drive.

I've lived in most of the midwestern states at one time or other including MO and OK, and I spent a lot of time in western AR. I much prefer NEOK because of its natural beauty, but I don't have to work and it makes a big difference is where you live.

OK, TX, SW MO, NW AR and SE KA can be hotter than a tinderbox in the summer. You won't get the four distinct or even extreme seasons you do in the north.

Last edited by linicx; 10-21-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,837,398 times
I've always thought Oklahoma got four seasons, or at least NE OK does---unless something has changed, which is quite possible.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM

620 posts, read 1,743,327 times
Tulsa experiences all 4 seasons. Winters are fairly mild and parts of summer (in July & August) are very hot and unrelenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa