Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM

304 posts, read 888,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

You may know that we're adopting three through DHS. It'll be official in June! Until then, they are still wards of the state and are covered by Soonercare.

The oldest has had trouble with her teeth and in her previous city, she's had 6 teeth pulled. I believe some are permanent teeth. She's now complaining of hot/cold sensitivity in a tooth.

So, I get to work finding a Soonercare dentist (our dentist doesn't accept the coverage). I have found several which were relatively close (we're on Lake Keystone) but have found a deal breaker with all of them.

They don't allow parents to go back with the kids.

WHAT?!?! Are you kidding me?

And then you read the reviews of some of these and your head explodes!

Who would allow ANY professional/medical person to take your child ANYWHERE alone?!

Am I missing something?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
That is exactly why we stopped going to Dr. Farmer in Muskogee. They insisted I couldn't go back with my daughter. We were not on Soonercare.. but he is a Pediatric Dentist. Call Dr. Reifsteck at Dental Care of Muskogee 682-5518. They have an open office with lots of space, they do take Soonercare, and you are welcome to accompany your child (Or Significant Other in my case) to the back. They have treated all of my family and are so wonderful. My husband was absolutely terrified of Dentists and now you can't pay him to go elsewhere.
Can you tell I am a believer?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
P.S. In most dentist offices the excuse for not allowing parents in the back is space issues. I still have an issue with it..space or not.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Are talking about a 3 or 4 year old child? I have never had a parent go with me into the dental exam room in my entire life. I don't think I would have liked having my parent(s) in the exam room. I remember being around 5 and going to the dentist, but never wanted/needed a parent there.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:41 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
My kids are 6, 7, and 9. Both dentist offices we've used in this area have allowed me to go along if the kids want me there. I don't always go because I'm trying to teach some independence. We've used the same dentist for the past couple of years. My youngest loves it there and asks to go because they are always so friendly.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 PM

304 posts, read 888,481 times
Our new kids are 9, 8, and 6. Since our regular dentist doesn't take Soonercare, we'll be going to someone we don't know.

But our kids came from DHS and have had adults behave inappropriately in their lives. I will do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen to them on our watch. They've also had teeth extracted by Soonercare dentists. Our oldest has had six teeth removed, three were permanent.

And I don't want to sit and hold their hands, but I will be nearby so they know I'm watching!

Thanks for the suggestion of a doctor in Muskogee. Found one in Tulsa that has been recommended. Appt.. next week, so we'll see!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 16,158 times
That is not good. When my daughter was very young, I went to a dentist that did not allow parents back. She needed to go to the bathroom, I could hear her cry from the waiting room. he would not allow her to get out of the chair. Needless to say, I never went back. She was very scared to go back to a dentist for a long time. Shirley

Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,419 times
That is exactly the problem I am having. My husbands job does not offer insurance, and we cannot afford insurance on our own. Both my children are on SoonerCare, and I CANNOT find a dentist that accepts it that will allow me to go back with them. I have two young girls, ages 3, and 2, and there is NO WAY I am letting them go without me. You cannot trust strangers with your children!!! My oldest has cavities that need to be fixed, and no one will let me go back with her. Its not even a space issue, they say she'll "behave better" without me there. BS!!!! Not happening. If anyone knows of any dentists in the OKC area who will allow me to go back with her, please let me know~

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 AM

52 posts, read 158,584 times
Yeh, Oklahoma doctors including dentists are .... Oklahoma doctors and dentists ... many of them would not survive the competition anywhere else in the country. Change doctors as fast as you can until you find the one who is The Doctor.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,771 times
I am a dentist, and honestly most kiddies, older than 6 don't want a parent to come back with them, also kids do actually act better without a parent. I as a parent am more concerned about who my child spends all day with--teachers, they are helping develop your child's personality, work ethic, view points, etc. Why worry about the 20 min the are getting teeth cleaned and fixed, dentistry is technically surgery, and if it was regulated by OSHA like industry, holding a spinning cutting saw/bur that spinning 40000 times per sec in a 6 yr olds mouth would never fly. I would be more concerned about how the dentist who is working feels, than worrying about yourself. You are not going back for the kids, you are going back for yourself. I tell parents they can come back, if they do not interrupt the procedure, I have never had a parent accomplish this--most cannot even stay quite for 2 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa