Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
Lol. I very much do love Oklahoma. I was born and mostly raised in California, but my Oklahoma roots actually run much deeper. Like many others, I'm only a Californian due to the Dust Bowl.

I've always felt like home was two states--CA and OK. And frankly, at this stage in my life, I'd take OK over CA any day!

I've never been to CA so I'll take OK too or maybe KS where I spent the first 26 years of my life! My great-grand-parents moved to KS and lived in a dugout house (under ground) by the Solomon River. Her dog woke her up when the river flooded and so did the home. I don't think she really like those houses after that incident. They had to hang a sheet up as a ceiling to keep bugs and snakes from falling on them. I'm glad I'm a BabyBoomer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 AM

181 posts, read 298,151 times
Angry Irritated Update

Ugh.

So now my inlaws have talked to a couple of friends of theirs who have visited Oklahoma but have never lived there. They have been informed that the Native State is:

A. Absolutely unbearably hot

B. Dominated by right-wing fanatics

Sigh...

Look, even I'm dreading those summers, I won't deny it. But it's like up here in Michigan in reverse...in the winter my MIL stays indoors, so she'll just have to do the same but in the summer down there.

As far as politics go, I'm also left-leaning and did just fine in Oklahoma.

They are driving me crazy! So now my wife doesn't want to hear about moving at all. Grrrr...

Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM

620 posts, read 1,752,064 times
Both A and B are true. Oklahoma is very much like Texas in almost every way. But the cost of living is fairly low and Tulsa is an attractive, interesting city.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Both A and B are true. Oklahoma is very much like Texas in almost every way. But the cost of living is fairly low and Tulsa is an attractive, interesting city.
Well, I've lived there and while it does indeed get very hot there, I wouldn't say it is unbearable. Just stay in the AC, like how we have to stay by the heater in the winter here.

It is conservative there, but who cares? Most people avoid discussing politics anyway.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
Well, I've lived there and while it does indeed get very hot there, I wouldn't say it is unbearable. Just stay in the AC, like how we have to stay by the heater in the winter here.

It is conservative there, but who cares? Most people avoid discussing politics anyway.
It is hot, that's not a joke.

As for the politics/religion part. It's really not that big a deal but if it bothers you stick closer to midtown or if want to live in the 'burbs avoid Broken Arrow and Owasso.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
It is hot, that's not a joke.

As for the politics/religion part. It's really not that big a deal but if it bothers you stick closer to midtown or if want to live in the 'burbs avoid Broken Arrow and Owasso.
I do know it gets hot. That is probably the #1 detractor to moving there.

I've lived in BA before, so I already know to avoid it like the plague.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM

620 posts, read 1,752,064 times
Oklahoma is one of the worst states in the country for allergies, largely due to the fact that the area is nearly always windy. Wind can provide relief on really hot days.

Tulsa winters are generally mild and average less than 10" of snow annually.

Last edited by Bill236c; 06-15-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,787 times
I have to ask. Is it really THAT hot here?

I mean, last summer was just stupid, but the summer before that was rainy and cool. Are people judging our climate based on one season?

Now this is a warm climate, but compared to where? Have any of these people whining about the heat been to Vegas or Phoenix? That's hot, and please spare me the "its a dry heat!" Sorry, but 110 is HOT no matter how you slice it! Or how about most of Texas and the Gulf Coast? Just as hot as OK and much more humid. Plus, most of the summer we can count on a slight breeze. Down there, NO air movement AT ALL. To a lesser extent, I find the east coast very uncomfortable in the summertime for that reason as well, plus you have to deal with the urban heat effects in the cities.

I don't think the heat is that bad, but Oklahoma is not for weather weenies. If people are complaining about the heat, just wait until they have to deal with the thunderstorms, tornado warnings, hail, ice storms, etc.

Perhaps these folks should try San Diego.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
sorry to hear you inlaws are putting up road blocks to moving. I am a NE guy and have adapted very well in Tulsa. It is hot and is a red state, but for the most part it is what you make it. Question where are your in laws and wife from originally ?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Thanks dekes! Answer to your question below.

Soonerfan--Lol!! San Diego is practically where we're from!!

Ok, perhaps I should give my Heat History.

I was born and mostly raised in the Mojave desert in California, so I know heat. I'm fair skinned,* and even as a child I hated to be hot.

We moved around for a few years when I was little and lived in Broken Arrow for 2 years, and Bay City Texas for 3 years, which was HORRIBLY hot!! It's funny that you used this area as a comparison when I've actually lived there. No argument that the heat in southern Texas is much worse than Tulsa's. And the dry heat of the west coast's inland valley's and deserts is just as bad in it's own way. Lasts half the year, for one.

Before moving to Michigan, I lived in Temecula California for several years, which is basically where my wife is from, before that she was born and spent her childhood in Orange County which is where her parents are from. We all lived in Temecula before we left and all agreed it was getting too hot for too long and worse every year. We now live in west Michigan and pretty much like the climate here. Winters are long and cold but the trade off is a spectacular summer. It gets hot for a bit but nothing like the south!

I lived in Tulsa from 93-99 and absolutely loved it, but did find the summer heat to be excessive. I know they will too, but dang it...the fact is that Tulsa will provide a better quality of life than what this area can provide. I still have many close friends there and they are doing great, the economy is positively bustling compared to here! This area is economically depressed, country and redneck. It's very pretty, and I like the weather, but those things don't make up for the many things this area lacks. I want my children to grow up in a more cultured environment, and believe it or not, Tulsa is miles ahead of this area when it comes to that! There are places with more culture, but all around Tulsa just works--family will be moving there, many friends live there, the cost of living is great, the economy is good, I loved living there even before all of the new stuff downtown and along the river was there, so I'm sure I'll love it more now, and I KNOW them...they will be surprised at how much they will love it!

Oklahoma is in my blood. My mom was born and raised in southeast Oklahoma, and my dad was from California but had a southern accent from his Dust Bowl Okie parents! Lol. I'm registered in the Cherokee Tribe of Oklahoma. I want to explore my, and my children's heritage.

I feel like I'm willing to put up with 3 months of hot weather in* order to provide a better life for my family. But they can't seem to get past it, nor the stereotypes the have in their stupid heads about Oklahoma! Ugh! Lol.

Last edited by thepastorsson; 06-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa