Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM

10 posts, read 19,665 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone lives in Owasso would care sharing about living in the Owasso area. It seems like a nice area. The commute to Tulsa doesn't seem bad at all.

Schools seems nice as well.

Thanks!

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 AM

5,543 posts, read 9,451,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoTulsa View Post
Just wondering if anyone lives in Owasso would care sharing about living in the Owasso area. It seems like a nice area. The commute to Tulsa doesn't seem bad at all.

Schools seems nice as well.

Thanks!

S
Great area. If you move there be prepared to pronounce it "Oh-wahs-uh" for the Old Timers.

I personally think it is one of the more pretty and well-put together suburbs in Oklahoma....on par with Edmond and some of the burbs west of OK City such as Mustang and Yukon. Plus, you're right on the edge of the Ozarks and it would be an easy commute into NW Arkie or southern Missouri for beautiful scenery.

Great schools and some really nice churches. I've heard good things about First Baptist Owasso.

The commute to Tulsa on 69 is an easy one.

Welcome to the Great State of OKLAHOMA!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 19,665 times
Thanks so much for your input! Sorry it took me so long to reply, we just finished moving out of our house. I was in Tulsa about two weeks ago to look around. Drove up to Owasso and was really pleased with what I saw. I liked the Tulsa area, Bixby, Jenks, and Broken Arrow as well but the Owasso area looked like the best option for us at this time.

We are very excited about our move to Oklahoma.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:14 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,205,302 times
Welcome to the OK! If I would recommend renting for a bit. Owasso is heavily influenced by American Airlines and with the merger, nobody knows if the Tulsa maintenance base will stay. I think it will as the City of Tulsa gave them a sweetheart deal to stay and Tulsa has lots of empty landing slots to get planes in and out unlike the other "New AA" hubs. The energy costs in the US are cheaper now than other overseas locations so I can't see a reason to export the jobs but I could see them moving it to Dallas (DUMB, IMHO). If that occurred, Owasso real estate would take a pretty good hit.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,451,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoTulsa View Post
Thanks so much for your input! Sorry it took me so long to reply, we just finished moving out of our house. I was in Tulsa about two weeks ago to look around. Drove up to Owasso and was really pleased with what I saw. I liked the Tulsa area, Bixby, Jenks, and Broken Arrow as well but the Owasso area looked like the best option for us at this time.

We are very excited about our move to Oklahoma.

My momma's side is from North Carolina. Glad to have some fellow North Carolinians in Oklahoma.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,454,824 times
Owasso is very nice, pretty, not to crowded and enough shopping without having to go into Tulsa. I lived there 3 years, but missed my mountains and my kids so went back to Utah.

You will love Oklahoma! Friendly people~

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,511,539 times
Owasso is growing so fast, it may be bigger than Stillwater and several other towns by 2020.

I know how it's like to miss the mountains and without even having had lived around them. One time I took a bus trip from Portland to Oklahoma City. I quickly got used to seeing mountains out the window but immediately started missing them not long after getting out of Denver.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Owasso is growing so fast, it may be bigger than Stillwater and several other towns by 2020.

I know how it's like to miss the mountains and without even having had lived around them. One time I took a bus trip from Portland to Oklahoma City. I quickly got used to seeing mountains out the window but immediately started missing them not long after getting out of Denver.
I do miss the green country of Oklahoma however and Owasso is a nice city. I never knew what direction I was going. With the Wasatch Mountains in Utah, I knew they were east of me.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,313,871 times
I always enjoyed Owasso and used to work there on occasion. I haven't been to the town itself in about 8 or 10 years, but if I were looking for a smallish town near to Tulsa it would likely be my choice.

IMO, Broken Arrow is essentially a part of Tulsa anymore and the traffic can be nasty.

Jenks and Bixby are nice but have grown a LOT in recent years, and housing prices have grown alongside the population.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 AM

125 posts, read 211,584 times
Welcome! I'm sorry I've been offline for quite some time, and I'm probably way too late, but I'm an Owasso-ian(?) and have been there about three years now. I'd be glad to provide any info I can.

I've always wondered if there should be some sort of "welcome" meetup for new residents to Tulsa/surrounding areas. Owasso is growing VERY quickly, and yes, it is a bedroom community for Aerospace, Oil&Gas, Medical, etc down in Tulsa. The commute is really nothing (I have experience from KC to Dallas, and trust me, 169 really isn't that big a deal).

BTW...ignore the politics-related stuff on this board. People in Owasso are incredibly friendly (probably in all of Tulsa, but that's just my perspective). The negativity and name-calling is just in certain media circles to drive ratings. If you smile at them, people here will shake hands and pretty much do anything to help you out. We had a pretty lonely time in our rental house, but we discovered that most of the houses on that block were rentals, and no one was permanent, so they didn't connect much. That all changed completely when we bought into a very affordable neighborhood in the 145th and 86th area. We are walking distance to pretty much every school, there are families with kids everywhere, and people spend warm weather nights sitting together in each other's driveways while the kids play. It's as close to ideal as I can imagine...well...once the trees grow in it will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa