Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM

22 posts, read 53,529 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that there are a ton of people talking about moving to the suburbs of Tulsa. So I pose the question "Why live in a suburb rather than in Tulsa?" I am biased towards Tulsa I suppose, and have never really been impressed with the suburbs of Tulsa (or any other city). I can understand it though in certain areas, like where I am at now, KC, but Tulsa is really not that big so I would like to know how come this is. I can understand the concern over school district, but another common reason I see is basically being able to have friends in the community/ be friends with your neighbors. Why can't you have that in Tulsa? Just think it would be an interesting conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
I have no idea, I think it's people that don't know Tulsa that post on here own bias not knowing the area.

Midtown Tulsa is the best area in the whole state. The reasons not to live there are cost and somewhat schools, though there are good options there if you try.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Maybe houses cost up to twice as much in Tulsa than in Broken Arrow and other suburbs. If so, suddenly the price of gasoline doesn't seem so high. And then maybe the lower crime, less crowding and traffic congestion are other advantages to suburban life.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Default Tulsa Is A Suburban City That's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenokie View Post
I have noticed that there are a ton of people talking about moving to the suburbs of Tulsa. So I pose the question "Why live in a suburb rather than in Tulsa?" I am biased towards Tulsa I suppose, and have never really been impressed with the suburbs of Tulsa (or any other city). I can understand it though in certain areas, like where I am at now, KC, but Tulsa is really not that big so I would like to know how come this is. I can understand the concern over school district, but another common reason I see is basically being able to have friends in the community/ be friends with your neighbors. Why can't you have that in Tulsa? Just think it would be an interesting conversation.
Tulsa Oklahoma and Oklahoma City Oklahoma are both very ' suburban cities ' and the people that populate the city-data.com boards ' threads ' are over whemning suburban types of peoples ( therefore everybody sole focus ) is on the suburban area's.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Maybe houses cost up to twice as much in Tulsa than in Broken Arrow and other suburbs. If so, suddenly the price of gasoline doesn't seem so high. And then maybe the lower crime, less crowding and traffic congestion are other advantages to suburban life.
Houses aren't twice as much in Tulsa compared to the suburbs but they are more expensive. I could have got a 2,500+ sq ft home in BA, Jenks or South Tulsa for the price I paid for my 1,700 sq ft home in Mid-Town. Traffic congestion was the biggest disadvantage to the suburbs for me. Living in the suburbs forces you to drive everywhere, even to the corner store. Living in Mid-town I'm pretty much a 5 minute drive to everything, can walk to several restaurants and stores and also have the choice to take the bus if I wanted.

Talking with other co-workers it seems that schools and cheaper, larger housing are the reasons for them to live in the suburbs. Of course they complain about the backed up traffic on 51 or 75 but that's the price you pay for commuting into downtown from the suburbs. What's bad is that with suburb towns like BA and Jenks continuing to grow the freeways leading there are only going to get more and more congested.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM

22 posts, read 53,529 times
I will say you probably get more house for your money in places like BA and Jenks. For me, that's not really a concern, i'd rather have less house but "better" location.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM

653 posts, read 1,785,982 times
Where would be considered "mid town Tulsa"? and what are the crime stats there verses other parts of the city?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
Midtown is east of the river, south of downtown but north of I-44. East of Sheridan.

It's a large region of the city so there are good and less good parts, but generally it is wealthy or upper middle class. It's not remotely dangerous.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Don't you mean west of Sheridan?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,502 times
I'm sure swake meant "West of Sheridan."

And I agree that this part of Tulsa is one of the best placdes in the state. If I had to settle permanently in Oklahoma (and I may well be this time around after coming back recently) I would much prefer Tulsa or that general region than any other part of the state, although there are other areas I like as well.

I always figured people looking to the burbs just wanted less traffic and a smaller town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa